Step-up revisited

alleng8304

Jun 26, 2018
South Carolina
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Parakeet
Jack my 3 yro (?) QP and I have been together about 2 months. During that time, I can hand feed, scratch and pet, will let me pick him up, will talk, lean over and kiss me from a perch outside of the cage- perch attached to his cage. He likes to go out of the cage and go to the top and will walk over and sit on the cage perch attached to the side of the cage.

I realize that if I am going to get any further, I should let him come to me and sometimes he will forget his fear and climb on my shoulder. But he will not get past that last fear and step up UNLESS he is away from the cage and then will nervously step up. I could pick him up and take him to a perch stand in another room but picking him up involuntary may set him back some. Any thoughts

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Here's a great video from Barbara Heidenreich on how to teach step up!

[ame="https://youtu.be/GIaDDSeZKnI"]Parrot Training Workshop Live Demo - Step Up Training with a Macaw - YouTube[/ame]

Step up can be taught through target training. In short... Step up training should look something like this....

1. Reward your bird for looking at you.
  2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
  3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
  4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
  5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
  6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
  7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
  8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
  9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
  10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
Jack my 3 yro (?) QP and I have been together about 2 months. During that time, I can hand feed, scratch and pet, will let me pick him up, will talk, lean over and kiss me from a perch outside of the cage- perch attached to his cage. He likes to go out of the cage and go to the top and will walk over and sit on the cage perch attached to the side of the cage.

I realize that if I am going to get any further, I should let him come to me and sometimes he will forget his fear and climb on my shoulder. But he will not get past that last fear and step up UNLESS he is away from the cage and then will nervously step up. I could pick him up and take him to a perch stand in another room but picking him up involuntary may set him back some. Any thoughts

I have pretty much this same issue. My Kiwi will step up on me sometimes but only for a second. He only wants his cage. I bought a DVD for Clicker training. Only thing is, he doesn't like any treats. He will only eat his pellets so I don't know how this will work without not being able to reward him.

OP
A

alleng8304

Jun 26, 2018
South Carolina
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Parakeet
I hear you. I removed sunflower seeds from his main diet and thought that they would be treats- which he throws to the bottom of the cage. The only treat he responds to is Honey-Nut Cheerios.

OP
A

alleng8304

Jun 26, 2018
South Carolina
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Parakeet
Thank you for responding and good info. In the morning, when he calls me, I let him out of the cage and usually hand feed him. In the last couple of days while he is hungry and in a good mood, I have put my hand flat on top of the cage and he has tried to put his foot on my flat hand. That is new. Some progress. Should I continue to do that with him on top of the cage or away from it. I bought a T stand and I would bet you that if I picked him up (two cupped hands) and take him to a different room to be on the stand, I believe if I nudge him to step up he will take flight. I issues i see with the target training is that he hates and attacks sticks in front of him. Thanks

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Two months is no time at all. Make it a treat to leave his cage. Yes, another room will do wonders....away from his cage, But just take it slowly. He’ll realize it’s more fun outside the cage than inside. I make it a point to have her step up to come out.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Start at the cage where he's comfortable. If you force-ably remove him from his cage when he's not ready, this has the potential to result in cage aggression.

The stick issue can potentially be easily resolved. Stand as far away from the cage as needed where he doesn't react to the stick if you show it to him. This could be 5 feet, 10 feet or even 20 feet away. Hold stick in one hand, treats in another. Hold them behind your back. Slowly bring out target stick, show him and if he doesn't respond, hide it behind your back again, walk up to him, give him a treat and reset. Every now and then, take a step closer. Any time he shows *any* amount of reaction to seeing the target stick, then don't move closer and relax your requirements just a tad to where he's comfortable and keep rewarding that until he's fine to move on.

Now, a target can be a chopstick, a knitting needle, an empty pen case, a toy or well, anything!

Most Reactions

Latest posts