Stevie, the Illiger's Macaw

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That's awesome news!!!! I hope he enjoys his new cage! Don't forget to use natural and rope perches for him, too! The plain wooden dowels aren't really good on their feet.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's a nice big cage you got, how much was it???? I'll be looking to replacing Willie's cage this coming year, it's about time....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
About the perches, look up dragon wood, that's what I use for my birds. You can usually get them pretty cheap at bird fairs. I think henpecked just chop some up not long ago, perhaps ask him for some.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have a blue winged macaw (aka Illiger's) and I got him from a hobby breeder in Missouri. He is a Jekyll and Hyde personality to the extreme. He can be sweet sometimes, after I have spend considerable time practicing flight and other activities with him to tire him out. But most of the time he is a monster. From day one he has been aggressive beyond anything I could have possibly imagined.

I don't know, most of all I am confused.

Same problem you often get with Severe's. The mini macs are far more aggressive than the big macs, in my opinion.

The big macs are confident in their ability to fend off people should a conflict arise. Mini macs often have to "prove to you" they can kick your butt if you mess with them... I call it short bird syndrome.

And mini macs have shorter fuses, and stay mad longer. Big macs are such goofballs, that a few seconds of play time cures all...

The thing with severe's is that they tend to overbond with one, and only one person, and even after being given up to be rehomed THAT IS IT. I don't want another person, "I got a man... "

That is why they were my least favorite bird to work with. So, my guess is that this bird may have a similar overbonding issue... I am just guessing though.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I understand that most mini macaws can have a huge attitude. I have known many over the years and this is what I know you get out of your parrot what you put into training/loving/raising it correctly. Positive reinforcement and a breeder who knows what they are doing also come into play.

My Illiger's macaw Diego was never aggressive. Even during hormone season his personality never became more aggressive. I also think hormones were one of the causes of his demise because he ended up dying from a massive stroke.

Diego came from one of the best Illiger's macaw breeders of that time and he was co-parent raised. Diego knew he was a parrot not a little human. I kept him flighted and worked with training everyday.

The only mini macaws I never were exposed to is the severe. For what ever reason I have never been comfortable with them. Every other mini out there I have either owned or have known people with them and experienced them.

My last mini macaw is Valentino. Yea, I know he is not so mini but he will be my last macaw. If I am lucky enough to be able to have another parrot I would either adopt a medium size parrot that takes to me (rescue) or acquire a Panama Amazon.

Most Reactions