stick training Willy

beekersmom

Aug 16, 2012
Media
Largo Florida
Parrots
two 'tiels both boys, Punkie 4 and Rocky, 3. A one year old green cheek, male named Beeker (rules the house lol), A Senegal about 9 months named Baby, sex undetermined, and a male blue fronted Amazon
Well been awhile so here is the latest update on Willy. Before the only way Willy would come out of his cage was if we left the cage door open. He would climb up onto the gym on the top of the cage. Then he would see me sitting in the room and would climb down the cage and come over to me. So Now I am able to reach into the cage and he readily steps onto my hand and we walk into the play room and he has a stand now just for him near where I sit. Bob(hubby) is home the most and as we didn't want willy to be stuck in the bird room by himself during Playtime. So I suggested that he try to stick train willy to step up onto a stick for him to come out of the cage. So he started by bringing the cage out into the playroom and encourageing willy to step up with a clicker and a peanut reward. after a few trys willy decided to trust him enough to step up onto the stick and so gets to stay out of the cage with his fids when mommy isn't home. now he even lets bob take him from the birdroom into the playroom without having to move the cage. He did get bit once, willy caught him off guard while putting him back into the cage and chomped his thumb on the knuckle. of course Bob dropped the stick and Willy nice as you please said clear as day BADBOY. I asked him if daddy was a bad boy or willy and he repeated BADBOY, and since then has had no issue with bob. He will put up a fuss if he is not ready to go back into the cage, but
still allows himself to be put back. He has become a cuddle bug to me still unsure about bob in general but will allow him to pass without attacking and i am sure after a time bob will be allowed to give a scritch on the head but may never be allowed to hold him but he has progressed so fast i could be miss judging him.

Most Reactions