Still confused about new food

PaulieGee

Feb 25, 2018
I'm new to this site so I don't really know my way around forgive me if this isn't the right forum. I have a green cheek that's six years old and has always been on (Higgins Gourmet Bird Seed) the vet has been after me from the beginning about converting him over to pellets. I took the plunge and did it I was expecting it to be really hard because he is very picky about new foods. First we tried zupreem natural which I thought was going well and yup his taste tester (moi) had to go first. I probably ate a cup of those pellets before he decided he didn't like them. Then we tried roudybush crumbles and he liked them and has been eating them very well for the past week. He still begs for the seed mixture and being the tender heart I am wanted to know if I could at least give him a tsp of the old mix along with his roudybush crumbles or maybe in his treat bowl.. Thanks for listening

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your GCC!

Changing the diet of a parrot is one of the most frustrating aspects of parronthood. However, you know it is in his best interest, so....

There are many techniques and time is on your side. One method is to give pellets most of the day, but switch to (in separate dish) his beloved seeds three times daily for 15 minute intervals. Work that to two and eventually one cycle if he appears to be transitioning. Finally, consider the seeds as occasional treat. Alternatively, you can mix seed and pellets and gradually alter the proportion in favor of pellets. Most importantly, do not starve!

Do he eat fresh vegetables and fruits? Far better than any pellet or seed, and ideally the bulk of a parrot's consumption.

This thread gives plenty of details: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

OP
P

PaulieGee

Feb 25, 2018
Yes I give him a dish of fresh fruits and veggies and quinoa twice a day about a tbsp. of cooked quinoa (tsp in the morning and in the evening) and the rest are broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, black berries, raspberries, cooked sweet potatoes, spinach chopped VERY finely, peaches, pomegranates, and lots more healthy stuff. I may not always have everything on this list but I try my best for him to have a varied diet.. I wish he ate like my canary she is a little pig NEVER had any trouble giving her different healthy foods..sigh

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Excellent, a well balanced diet will help the transition. But it may take a bit longer as dry food is not the sole diet

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here is my usual contribution...

Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. :)
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!

Good for you, for researching!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome!

I feel your pain - I have 3 conures who were all on seed diets when they came to live with me. Baby is 6, Tango is 3 and Bindi is 6. I did the “mix seed with their pellets” while I was converting to pellets, and started feeding them chop. Mine did go through a few brands of pellets before we found some that were “acceptable” to them for the long term - they prefer TOPS for small hookbills and will eat Zupreem natural and fruity on occasion. I eventually ended up taking all the seed out of their cage. They used to pick through everything to get the seed, and I wanted to make sure that they ate the healthier stuff first. I also started sprouting seeds, which they REALLY love, and they get a bit of sprouts most days. They have some seed in the bowls on their play stands, but they don’t seem to crave it the way they used to and some days they just don’t bother eating it. It works for my crew to reserve the seeds for later in the day, and I don’t feel it’s bad for them to have a little bit (after they eat their greens lol).

Did your vet say he couldn’t have any seed, or was he just concerned about getting him on a healthier diet? It sounds like you feed him a good selection of fresh stuff!

OP
P

PaulieGee

Feb 25, 2018
Thanks yeah his vet has been after me for years to convert him. I wish I had done this 6 years ago it would have been much easier than dealing with a grumpy "set in my way" kind of bird. One step at a time.. I use to add plain oatmeal, banana chips, hot dried peppers, raisins, dried fruits and veggies plus missing link to his seed mixture everyday. The vet still wasn't impressed. Life is full of learning experiences. He is eating the roudy bush crumbles because he is still pooping a lot and no seeds for 4 days now. I was giving him the crumbles every morning for 4 hours then put his seed back in then 5 hours and so on but I always left a bowl of pellets in the cage. Every time I get him out of his cage he poops he will not crap in his cage unless I am unable to get him out on time and that's rare. He eats the crumbles after his fresh fruits and veggies everyday almost like a weird dessert but however he wants to eat is fine with me.. I told the vet he doesn't crap in his cage and laughed she didn't and said "would you like to walk around in your own mess"? Uh no..

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What I have learned while being a member of this forum and about parrot ownership in general (and really any pet!) is that there is no one right way to feed your parrot. There are going to be people (like your vet) that will push for pellets. They contain a lot of the base nutrients your bird needs in their diet, but to some it lacks the flavor and diversity parrots like. Feeding fresh fruits and veggies is great for them, though it can be hard for a bird to get used to it if it's used to a diet of seeds or pellets. It also takes time to buy and prepare the fruits and veggies, but it is well worth it. And there are those who feed seed 100% of the time, even lots of zoos feed seeds as part of the parrot's diets and they enjoy it...

In my eyes, variety is key. If you can offer a wide variety of all the good stuff (a high quality pellet, supplemented with fruits and veggies, legumes, grains with occasional seeds and nuts as treats) that sort of diet to me ideal. But everyone has their own way of feeding their birds!

Most Reactions