Still Trying to Crack the Kizzy Code Regarding the Dreaded Harness

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Hi, everyone!

I haven't been around much, but I'm still doing my best with the Kizzy-bird. Every day she does something that brings a smile to my face. Young Amazons are so endearing. Without the mess and the nipping and the enormous amounts of attention, parrots would be the world's best pets, bar none. Due to their special needs, however, I consider them to be adopted family members rather than pets. One thing I'm discovering is you can have nice things or a young, flighted Amazon, but you can't have both. :) There are a few items she simply can't resist. We're working on that.

One reason I haven't been around is I'm failing at some aspects of Kizzy's training and it's making me feel guilty. I'm doing OK at other things, but I tend to focus on what's not going right because Kizzy's well-being is so very important during her formative months. More than anything, I want her to be a well-trained, happy parrot. I would have consulted the forum again, but I've already done that and tried to implement your ideas. Unfortunately, I'm still having trouble. It's something specific to Kizzy and me, something I don't realize I'm doing / not doing, so it's probably something I have to figure out on my own.

I've laid off harness training for a few weeks because 1) I needed to get one Aviator Harness fixed and trade in another for a different size. When the harnesses arrive, I'll have a medium pink and a medium green. I thought she might regard green with less suspicion. Who knows? 2) What I'm doing isn't working and is adversely affecting my relationship with Kizzy. She's been a lot less nippy since I stopped harness training.

I'm definitely doing something wrong. It might have been right for a different bird, but it's not right for Kizzy. Maybe it wouldn't be right for any bird. Whatever is happening, I'm not getting it.

I have to figure out what will work for Kizzy. Whatever it is, I don't think it's covered well (at all?) in the literature and videos I've studied. Or perhaps I'm missing something so obvious no one comments on it. I hope not, but it's possible.

I do have one idea. Kizzy LOVES games. She's totally into "peekaboo!" and "I'm gonna get you!" If I can turn each stage of training into a game, we might just get there.

My failed attempts to train her have led to some hand-shyness when she's on a training perch (so sorry, Kizzy), so I've started playing a game to get her used to my hands again. Using the thumb and forefinger of both hands, I hide a seed. I let her root around between my fingers, all the while saying, "Where's the seed?" until she finds it. While she eats from one hand, I put the other hand next to her body. After a few days of this, she's already much more relaxed.

Even when she was a tiny chick, Kizzy hated hands over her head or near her back. As a result, I had to change my hand-feeding technique to suit her. I never had to do that with any other baby bird. Most prey birds don't like hands near that area because it's exactly where a predator would aim. Kizzy is especially sensitive in this regard, so she's pushed back hard against my efforts. We're going to have to start over.

Maybe there's a game for every stage of harness training. If I figure out how to turn it all into games she enjoys, I'll certainly let you know. :)

I hope all of you and your precious fids are well.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Good luck, I gave up on harness training with Ducky and Kermit a long time ago, deciding it was not worth it. Make sure you aren’t doing anything that stresses her out, because once I grabbed Kermit and put his head through, and after that he became deathly afraid of the harness. If your relationship is better when you don’t do harness training, maybe you should just accept that having a bird that loves you is more important than taking her outside. You could always get a Pak o Bird and take her outside like that.

Last edited:

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
You could always get a Pak o Bird and take her outside like that.

This is our resolution. Even though Maverick isn't flighted we don't take chances and he loves to "go for a field trip".

I hate that he won't use the harness. We got to the point that he was completely fine with the harness as long as it wasn't putting any weight on him. He'd stick his head through no problem but the second he "felt" it on him he panicked. He got where he was always nervous on his training perch so I resolved that he may not be a harness bird, or at least not yet, and that's ok!

If you figure out any cool strategies keep us posted!!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I don’t even have a Pak o Bird (I want one, but they’re so expensive for a little backpack) and I don’t take my birds outside. My birds are happy flying around indoors, and when I have to take them out of the house for things like going to the vet or getting their nails trimmed, they always get freaked out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I don’t even have a Pak o Bird (I want one, but they’re so expensive for a little backpack) and I don’t take my birds outside. My birds are happy flying around indoors, and when I have to take them out of the house for things like going to the vet or getting their nails trimmed, they always get freaked out.

If you are commonly visiting only Vets and /or nail trimmers when traveling with your Parrots, freaking out can be a common response. Our Amazon is a Rescue and the prior owners activity traveled with him. We have maintained that activity and as a result, no problems with getting freaked with traveling.

That said, he clearly knows when we pull into the parking lot of the Vet Clinic as he begins stating "NO, NO, NO!" So, try just traveling with your Parrot to places that are more enjoyable. Just my two cents on traveling with Parrots!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Where do you take your parrot and how do you make traveling more enjoyable? And since they’re in the carriers it’s hard to really interact with them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Where do you take your parrot and how do you make traveling more enjoyable? And since they’re in the carriers it’s hard to really interact with them.

First to Kizzy's Mom; sorry for stealing your Thread addressing this question, I promise to be short!

Placement of the Carrier(s) is always a problem with interaction. I use a container under the Carrier (velco) to lift the carrier a higher, which allows the Parrot to see more of what is going on around them. Also, it helps with those Parrots that get car sick as the motion is then understandable to them. Place the combination in the front passenger seat or the seat area in the center of the back seat! Commonly this combination of spacer and Carrier position with a minor adjustment on the interior review mirror will allow you to see your Parrot and them seeing you.

Places to go! Near anywhere that you are not activity getting in and out of the auto. Dropping off mail, picking-up some one, big box Pet Store, etc... If you have not Followed Amy the Amazon's Thread you will find that Jim travels with his Amazon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Kizzy's Mom! I truly wished that I had a method that would with comfort allow Kizzy to accept this training!!!

Your thinking is truly great and your take-aways are excellent!!! The direction of 'maintaining the relationship' with Kizzy is truly the most important Goal!!! That Bond assures everything else and takes far longer to recover and maintain!

Kizzy trust of you is central to everything else!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Take heart Kizzy mom. Harness training can take a long time. It took Salty and I almost a year of practicing every night, yes 365 times before he was comfortable enough. You need to be able to do 2 things with Kizzy. One is the gt her to put her head thru the head loop, for a treat, naturally. then just drape the rest of the hearness over her wings and body. let her walk around a bit with it on, praising her and giving treats The give the Off command and gently remove the harness, again with praise and a treat.
This is the easy part.

The hard part is having the ability to handle Kizzy's wings and body Yu need to becasue its the rare bir that will calmly let you extend one wing after another and sit still while you tighten us the body buckle. I find with Salty that puttting his head loop on with him on my lap and then laying him onhis back to let me put the loops over his wings.and titening it up. I have a video of the process, first psrt is what not to do, and the second half is how to do it OK. Its on Saltys you tube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iw16lN2T0ik

Most Reactions