stop me if you've heard this before...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So today I was out running errands, and the redhead insisted on coming along...

Stopped off for gas, and she was in full macaw show-off mode...

The lady behind the counter says, my mom has a bird just like that...

Wait for it... Wait for it...

Only he's mean, and he screams all the time. He's 20 years old...

DO YOU WANT HIM?!

No. I'm not going to take him. I'm going to teach you how to work with him...

So, guess whose giving a(nother) crash course in macaw training... next weekend.

It truly amazes me the number of times stuff like this happens.

Second time this year someone has tried to give me a greenwing...!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, at least you offer to help them work with the bird and to LEARN how not to have a 'vicious screamer'.

I take Kiwi out a lot, but haven't ever been offered a bird (yet). Lots of people talking about birds they USED to have though, and yes, "mean and loud" are the 2 reasons cited almost every time for the reason they no longer have the bird.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's great! I'm glad that they care enough to take you up on your offer. Hope they put to work what you teach, and they stick with it long enough.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3

DO YOU WANT HIM?!

So, guess whose giving a(nother) crash course in macaw training... next weekend.

You do America a service in helping all these birds. But it's confusing.. Why would they pour out money on something so "mean" and most likely, "annoying" with all the screams? I mean, you have to feed it something. A parrot can't survive with just water for very long! And a cage takes up space, even a conure sized one. I'm still amazed that people say they have a macaw and turn around saying, "I HATE IT SO MUCH! PLEASE TAKE IT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE AWESOME, WONDERFUL RESCUES THAT I'M SURROUNDED BY! I ALSO HAVE THE TIME TO TRAIN IT AND IT IS CAPABLE OF BEING SUPER AWESOME BUT NAH!"

^^^^ Um... :confused: I'm dumbfounded by the logic that goes around in their brain. I think they have a different psychology all on their own. :rolleyes:

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
If I had a dollar every time I heard this one "oh is that a parrot? What breed? My [insert relative here] had a parrot too...I don't know what kind....the green one? You know? It was really mean but yours is so well behaved! Does it talk?"

Last edited:

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
This woman is SO LUCKY she decided to stop for gas when she did! I admire you for offering to spend the weekend training her on the ways of bird ownership!

If she takes the training you show her seriously, her whole world is going to change! Not to mention the bird's quality of life.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, the last thing I need at the moment is a csgebound' unsocialized greenwing,

If they've had her for 20 years, she's probably loved, they just don't know how to work with her.

And the pattern is that big macs have a stage where they push the limits and see what they can get away with. IF the boundaries are not firmly set and reinforced during this testing phase, especially with a headstrong dominant greenwing, who bites, you lose control, and the bird ends up locked in a cage... I've seen it so many times now, I don't need to hear the explanations.

And until you're on the receiving end of it, from a dominant greenwing in full on intimidation mode "oh yeah, make me!". You don't know how you will react. So don't judge too harsly...

And everyone else, when they test like that, and the answer is "okay I will. Now knock it off...". The behavior stops.

MOST OF THE TIME its just a simple behavior modification/training issue... People just don't know how.

Everyone wants a Maggie. They don't usually come this way, or stay this way. Even Maggie required four days of work...

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This woman is SO LUCKY she decided to stop for gas when she did! I admire you for offering to spend the weekend training her on the ways of bird ownership!

If she takes the training you show her seriously, her whole world is going to change! Not to mention the bird's quality of life.

She worked there. Its her moms bird.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Well then, she is lucky you decided to get gas where she works!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So far, this year alone, I've been offered two Amazon's, two greenwings, and an out of control U2.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

hsb_birds

Dec 4, 2014
Media
horseshoe bay, tx
Parrots
9 MACS, 2 U2, 2 DHYA, 1 CAG, & 1 SC. (plus 1 chilean flamingo & 5 sulcata tortoises)

DO YOU WANT HIM?!

....... I'll take him :rolleyes::54::54::54: Just kidding But i feel like I could take on any bird now thanks to your amazing help Mark the progress we (Mandy and I) have made with our GWs and birds in general is astounding and I cant thank you enough for coming out and teaching us that there really isn't a whole lot to it you need to be brave and understanding and firm yet gentle when needed :) so thank you again you are a real "bird whisperer" plus it helps you have had a few years more than myself

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
If they insist on getting rid of anything but the hot 3 or a Macaw take it and let me know. I live just across town.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Everyone wants a Maggie. They don't usually come this way, or stay this way. Even Maggie required four days of work...

Hehe! This line gave me a good chuckle! If I could do that in four MONTHS I'd be proud of myself:D Four days? Wow! I wish you lived in Canada for when I get a macaw one day :):)

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank you so much for helping in a frustrating situation! Birds all respond to care, boundaries, love and FOOD. :)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
....... I'll take him :rolleyes::54::54::54: Just kidding But i feel like I could take on any bird now thanks to your amazing help Mark the progress we (Mandy and I) have made with our GWs and birds in general is astounding and I cant thank you enough for coming out and teaching us that there really isn't a whole lot to it you need to be brave and understanding and firm yet gentle when needed :) so thank you again you are a real "bird whisperer" plus it helps you have had a few years more than myself

How are things going? You'll have to give me an update when you get time.

I've got CAG problems at the moment... MY OWN!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Now, if someone would only offer my MY greenwing back!

THAT ONE I'D ACTUALLY TAKE!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts