Strange cockatiel behaviour?

sinnerscout

May 6, 2018
I registered to this forum so I could get some answers on my bird's behaviour. He's tame, sweet and full of personality - but he has strange mannerisms at times that not even a trusty Google search can explain.
Usually when I place him down on my desk, he shows a lot of curiosity for whats behind my laptop and wearily looks behind it. From that point onwards, if I'm to make any noise at all he'll promptly hiss at me. He'll then usually wander behind my laptop and rummage around, still hissing at any noise I make. I'm unsure if he's only territorial of this area, since I rarely take him there and it can get really dark in that spot I'm unsure why he'd want to defend a place like that. Furthermore, he has a specific perch in the house in my room which he will go up to and refuse to go down, displaying the same hissing behaviour.
If I take him from these places he immediately stops and behaves as per usual (letting me pet him, perching on my shoulder, climbing about, etc).
Thank you!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Dark places make good nests, and good nests have to be defended. You might not want to let him spend time in the dark spots .. it can encourage hormonal behavior...

OP
S

sinnerscout

May 6, 2018
Dark places make good nests, and good nests have to be defended. You might not want to let him spend time in the dark spots .. it can encourage hormonal behavior...

I'll definitely block off behind my laptop if that's the case.

Most Reactions

Latest posts