Stressed

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
No, it actually wasn't a typo. I'm saying that something might be putting Coconut on edge, and that Rascal is reacting to what he is sensing in Coconut.

Let's look at the facts as you've laid them out.
-Rascal was fine.
-Then you added Coconut to the mix, after which both birds exhibited the tendency to go crazy and fly about in a panic.
-So you wisely started giving them separate out times.
-Now Rascal is the one who takes off in a blind panic.

What I'm saying is that Rascal may be reacting to Coconut's body language when he (Rascal) freaks out. Who flies first may not really be the issue, here. Rascal may be the one quicker to fly, but Coconut may be the one getting spooked initially. See what I mean? Different reaction times. Different fight or flight thresholds. Coconut getting spooked doesn't mean he'll fly off every time. Maybe sometimes he just goes on high alert. But perhaps his going on high alert is enough for Rascal to take flight. Which would mean that when they're both out, they feed on each other's fears. Because while Coconut's high alert might not have been sufficient to startle him into flight, seeing Rascal take off in a panic obviously is enough to prompt him into doing the same.

I do understand that you are home all day long. I'm not trying to imply that you are being somehow negligent in all this and allowing something obviously stressful into their midst. I'm simply saying that birds can be a lot more hyper-sensitive to things in their environment than we are. So there might be something of which you are totally unaware. Something that any of us might have missed, that for whatever reason spooks Coconut... which in turn prompts a panicked flight response in Rascal. That's all.

Not saying that's definitely it. Just something to consider, coming from a dude who owned a cockatiel for 18 years, works with his sister's 'tiels now, and currently has a multi-bird household. (Ekkies, this time around.)

And as I'd mentioned earlier, Coconut having been asleep one of the times doesn't necessarily disprove the theory. It might simply mean Rascal got freaked out once or twice without Coconut's help.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
No, it actually wasn't a typo. I'm saying that something might be putting Coconut on edge, and that Rascal is reacting to what he is sensing in Coconut.

-Rascal was fine.
-Then you added Coconut to the mix, after which both birds exhibited the tendency to go crazy and fly about in a panic.

What I'm saying is that Rascal may be reacting to Coconut's body language when he (Rascal) freaks out. Who flies first may not really be the issue, here. Rascal may be the one quicker to fly, but Coconut may be the one getting spooked initially. See what I mean? Different reaction times. Different fight or flight thresholds. Coconut getting spooked doesn't mean he'll fly off every time. Maybe sometimes he just goes on high alert. But perhaps his going on high alert is enough for Rascal to take flight. Which would mean that when they're both out, they feed on each other's fears. Because while Coconut's high alert might not have been sufficient to startle him into flight, seeing Rascal take off in a panic obviously is enough to prompt him into doing the same.

I do understand that you are home all day long. I'm not trying to imply that you are being somehow negligent in all this and allowing something obviously stressful into their midst. I'm simply saying that birds can be a lot more hyper-sensitive to things in their environment than we are. So there might be something of which you are totally unaware. Something that any of us might have missed, that for whatever reason spooks Coconut... which in turn prompts a panicked flight response in Rascal. That's all.

Not saying that's definitely it. Just something to consider, coming from a dude who owned a cockatiel for 18 years, works with his sister's 'tiels now, and currently has a multi-bird household. (Ekkies, this time around.)

And as I'd mentioned earlier, Coconut having been asleep one of the times doesn't necessarily disprove the theory. It might simply mean Rascal got freaked out once or twice without Coconut's help.

I'm going to be in my 40s soon and have had more tiels than I can count in my life yet have never dealt with such a bizarre situation. Coconut is not doing ANYTHING in any shape or form to set Rascal off. The last 2 times Rascal had an episode Coconut was taking a NAP... Coconut was sleeping! The other prior times Coconut was eating normally minding his own business and the other time Coconut was preening on my shoulder. Coconut NEVER panics... it is only Rascal who panics. Coconut is not a "panicky" type bird AND I witness Rascal's panic attacks every single time it happens... what was going on before it happens and Coconut does NOTHING to trigger him.

You are incorrect in saying "both birds exhibit tendency to go crazy"... I have no idea where you got that from but it's not the case.

It is ONLY Rascal who goes crazy but if one tiel suddenly takes off flying full speed in panic screaming then the other tiel will immediately take off in a panic... needless to say this is unavoidable..... however I'm sure you know this seeing that you are familiar with tiels or just birds in general this is what happen when one bird panics within a flock.

You are also extremely incorrect thinking Coconut is the one who spooks initially as that is not the case. You are making far too many assumptions when you are not even here to see the facts and I have already clearly noted the facts. It's rather frustrating to be honest.

I'm done posting in this thread as it's just going in circles now. For time being I'll just keep giving them separate out of cage times and allow Rascal to hopefully "calm down" seeing that I've only had Coconut for about 3 months. perhaps time will help... perhaps it won't.

However... I will emphasize one more time that Rascal is the one with the "problem" not Coconut. When Rascal freaks out... it's always without Coconut's help I can assure you this and if you were here every day all day like myself... you would see.... and then fully realize how bizarre this situation is.

Last edited:

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
Parakeet: Pineapple
Cockatiels: Smokey, Cinder
I feel like if it is this serious you should try your best to find a solution without clipping his wings. Why can't you keep them in separate rooms for now and observe for, say a week, before coming to the conclusion that he is spooked by another bird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I feel like if it is this serious you should try your best to find a solution without clipping his wings. Why can't you keep them in separate rooms for now and observe for, say a week, before coming to the conclusion that he is spooked by another bird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't plan to clip Rascal's wing until the day comes that I DARE let both out of cage at same time. Rascal would only be clipped temporarily so he cannot not fly in panic anymore... otherwise this just escalates the panic and causes TWO birds to be flying full speed in panic... even bumping into each other in mid air. If Rascal cannot fly then Coconut will have less chance of slamming into the wall again head first because Rascal will no longer be able to freak Coconut out so much by flying around and around in full blown panic. When Rascal flys around and around and around in panic it escalates Coconut into being in a full blown panic flying with him... this led to serious head injury already. Without Rascal flying around and around in panic then hopefully this will lessen Coconut's panic state and he won't slam into anything head first. The one time I had the flight suit on Rascal and he was tied to my shorts and he panicked... he couldn't fly anywhere... this helped tremendously and Coconut calmed down very quickly instead of flying in panic with him which is recipe for DISASTER.

I already know what is causing Rascal to panic... the confusion I have is WHY is having the presence of another bird triggering him to be on such high alert and overly sensitive. Nobody knows the answer so I will allow rascal more time to "adjust" and go from there.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

-Rascal was fine.

I'm going to be in my 40s soon and have had more tiels than I can count in my life yet have never dealt with such a bizarre situation. Coconut is not doing ANYTHING in any shape or form to set Rascal off. The last 2 times Rascal had an episode Coconut was taking a NAP... Coconut was sleeping! The other prior times Coconut was eating normally minding his own business and the other time Coconut was preening on my shoulder. Coconut NEVER panics... it is only Rascal who panics. Coconut is not a "panicky" type bird AND I witness Rascal's panic attacks every single time it happens... what was going on before it happens and Coconut does NOTHING to trigger him.

You are incorrect in saying "both birds exhibit tendency to go crazy"... I have no idea where you got that from but it's not the case.

It is ONLY Rascal who goes crazy but if one tiel suddenly takes off flying full speed in panic screaming then the other tiel will immediately take off in a panic... needless to say this is unavoidable..... however I'm sure you know this seeing that you are familiar with tiels or just birds in general this is what happen when one bird panics within a flock.

You are also extremely incorrect thinking Coconut is the one who spooks initially as that is not the case. You are making far too many assumptions when you are not even here to see the facts and I have already clearly noted the facts. It's rather frustrating to be honest.

I'm done posting in this thread as it's just going in circles now. For time being I'll just keep giving them separate out of cage times and allow Rascal to hopefully "calm down" seeing that I've only had Coconut for about 3 months. perhaps time will help... perhaps it won't.

However... I will emphasize one more time that Rascal is the one with the "problem" not Coconut. When Rascal freaks out... it's always without Coconut's help I can assure you this and if you were here every day all day like myself... you would see.... and then fully realize how bizarre this situation is.

Sigh...

I'm not saying Coconut is the "problem". I don't view either one as a problem, really. And I'm not saying that what I've suggested is definitely the issue, either. It's only one possible take on what's going on. If you look back over both my posts you'll see that. As you've pointed out, I'm not there.

All I did was to give you a possible cause for Rascal's panicked flights, seeing as how you were reaching out for help on this thread. If receiving advice based on questions that you yourself have asked so deeply offends you, I most humbly apologize. But I must point out that this is how it usually works on forums. When one asks a question, they traditionally expect advice in the form of replies. They'll listen to the advice offered, and then take what advice, if any, rings true for them. There is no rule that says you have to agree with any of it. Perhaps you might educate me on how one might go about answering your questions without unduly frustrating you?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

-Rascal was fine.

Sigh...

I'm not saying Coconut is the "problem". I don't view either one as a problem, really. And I'm not saying that what I've suggested is definitely the issue, either. It's only one possible take on what's going on. If you look back over both my posts you'll see that. As you've pointed out, I'm not there.

All I did was to give you a possible cause for Rascal's panicked flights, seeing as how you were reaching out for help on this thread. If receiving advice based on questions that you yourself have asked so deeply offends you, I most humbly apologize. But I must point out that this is how it usually works on forums. When one asks a question, they traditionally expect advice in the form of replies. They'll listen to the advice offered, and then take what advice, if any, rings true for them. There is no rule that says you have to agree with any of it. Perhaps you might educate me on how one might go about answering your questions without unduly frustrating you?

Sorry I'm in negative mood. Frustrated this situation is super strange and scary for Coconut's safety who is going to break his neck as he flies staight into tings full speed when rascal panics him... it's frustrating when others aren't here to actually see the facts and what is really happening... but Rascal is a "panicky" bird whereas Coconut is not. Unfortunately Rascal is the one with the problem... Coconut has no such issues... it is solely Rascal who is "spookish" always has been. Hence why he now sleeps in a fish tank from chronic night frights and after he nearly died 2 yrs ago and I got hit with a $5,100 vet bill which has been solved due to the fish tank thankfully. He LOVES the tank and so do I and hasn't had night fright in 2 solid yrs... but he has NEVER panicked in broad day light before in his entire life and now it's happening constantly ever since I got Coconut who is completely innocent in this whole situation. Trust me... I have seen it with my own eyes more times than I would have liked as it's very scary when it does.

I saw Rascal just sitting there on cage top... Coconut sleeping about 2 feet away on cage top and WHAAM!!! Suddenly Rascal goes into full blown panic for no reason it's sickening! This is how it has happened every single time.... sometimes they are much farther apart from each other.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Forgot to add I do appreciate ALL the replies, thanks... I'm taking break from this because it's worn me out for the day. I already have my plan of action and hopefully it works or at least gets better because things cannot stay like this.

Most Reactions