Stubborn conure - diet issues

Chelsea304

Nov 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Echo) & White-Eyed Conure (Regen)
Hey all -

Ive been having a tough time getting my white-eyed conure to try any fruits or veggies. The only thing he will nibble on is a grape.

He is on a pelleted diet of Harrisons. His treats are nutri-berries.

Any tips for getting a very stubborn conure to eat some veggies and fruits? Thanks!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Have you tried removing the pellets when fresh food is given? Providing healthier foods for a stretch of several hours, beginning in the AM is helpful. Parrots are flock eaters, and Regen may be curious if you eat the same foods with him. (different pieces of course, to avoid bacteria transfer) I assume he sees Echo eating similar foods?

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
Mix the pellets in with the veggies so he has to pick through it all [emoji4]

❤️ Animals are like little angels sent to earth to teach us how to love. They don't get angry or play silly games. They are always there for us ❤️

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Eat with him, take bites of the same food and then offer him some ( not from your mouth tho our saliva can harm parrots).

OP
Chelsea304

Chelsea304

Nov 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Echo) & White-Eyed Conure (Regen)
Good idea I will try to remove the pellets completely. He has two food bowls in his cage so I would offer both. I have shown him echo eats it and then hope he will..but he turns his head and walks away..lol stubborn little bugger.

I have tried eating with him with carrots and other veggies with no luck. Ive tried them warmed...chopped...whole....He is super stubborn. He did at least try when i ate it first..but he spit it out. Lol (with carrots)

Its odd because Echos favorite food is chop. Im going to keep trying to eat with him and try mixing maybe.

I like the idea of offering veggies for a long stretch of a few hours. I offer it for about 30 minutes but also offered pellets.

Thanks everyone! Ill let you know how it goes!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good idea I will try to remove the pellets completely. He has two food bowls in his cage so I would offer both. I have shown him echo eats it and then hope he will..but he turns his head and walks away..lol stubborn little bugger.

I have tried eating with him with carrots and other veggies with no luck. Ive tried them warmed...chopped...whole....He is super stubborn. He did at least try when i ate it first..but he spit it out. Lol (with carrots)

Its odd because Echos favorite food is chop. Im going to keep trying to eat with him and try mixing maybe.

I like the idea of offering veggies for a long stretch of a few hours. I offer it for about 30 minutes but also offered pellets.

Thanks everyone! Ill let you know how it goes!

If he is stubborn, the transition will take willpower! I remove the dry-food mix as soon as chop is served, around 10:00am. Chop is removed about 7 to 8 hours later, and dry-food is offered. Note that I live in a rather cool locale, so spoilage is not a factor. During the summer dry-food is removed early, and chop is served for about 4 to 5 hours. Some summer days when I'm around all-day the chop is split into 2 servings for greater access.

Most Reactions