Study shows parrots may speak in context

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I knew it all along...LOL Jk:) that is very cool! is it only african greys though?

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I knew it all along...LOL Jk:) that is very cool! is it only african greys though?

Hi Danny,

Thanks; most of the related work has been done with Af Grays, but it seems likely that others share similar traits as new research shows that mimicry ability evolved in order to communicate with others. Please see this article re the use of specific "names" by wild parrotlets. I'll post another soon, re Half Moon Conures that use individual calls for specific flock members.

Enjoy, Best, Frank

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Parrot's intelligence can be judged by comparing it to a child. Usually between the ages of 2 and 5, depending on species and individual bird. Just like nurturing a child's intelligence, our pet birds show higher intelligence than their wild counterparts, though the ones in the wild use their intelligence differently.

I believe any social creature has the capability to understand context and language, as it's necessary for them in their natural environment. Like findi said, birds often use different calls for different members of the flock, and calls are their language, and English (or whichever your native tongue might be) is another.

To really reach a high level of comprehension though, it does take some intensive work.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Parrot's intelligence can be judged by comparing it to a child. Usually between the ages of 2 and 5, depending on species and individual bird. Just like nurturing a child's intelligence, our pet birds show higher intelligence than their wild counterparts, though the ones in the wild use their intelligence differently.

I believe any social creature has the capability to understand context and language, as it's necessary for them in their natural environment. Like findi said, birds often use different calls for different members of the flock, and calls are their language, and English (or whichever your native tongue might be) is another.

To really reach a high level of comprehension though, it does take some intensive work.

Thanks very much for your interest; there's some new info out on Half-Moon Conures and their use of individual "names' (calls) for flock members; ties in with the evolution of their ability to mimic; I'll post more...

I've worked with animals ranging from ants to elephants, and remain amazed at learning/communication abilities (ants are mind-blowing; it's mainly chemical, instinctive, but amazing none the less..)

Best, frank

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Ask alex.. before he died, that bird showed that they can know exactly what they're saying...he was amazing..

He'd let his trainer know right quick that he didn't care to be "performing" by saying "wanna go back" he understood questions like....

What green?? And he'd pick the green object out of four different primary colors.

He'd do the same with.. what blue.. or what red.. the filler words... ie. Is, one.. apparently he didn't respond well too.

his dying words were "you be good, I love you"... that would kill me to hear.. I can tell you that "come here" tears at the heart too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I know of a bird RIGHT HERE in this forum who speaks in context. :D

His name is Mishka, and he is Antoinette's baby boy. ;) Check out the "African Grey" section, findi, you'll find many many videos of him. :)

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I know of a bird RIGHT HERE in this forum who speaks in context. :D

His name is Mishka, and he is Antoinette's baby boy. ;) Check out the "African Grey" section, findi, you'll find many many videos of him. :)

Thanks very much, Best, Frank

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
They must be better than humans... You often see a human in a car, waiting for that special green, which is never going to happen... We sit behind this person, and hope to Christ, that the next shade of green will be OK...

Supriya

Dec 8, 2012
India, WB & UP(in laws)
Parrots
3 alexandrines
its absolutly true, my dad, who's really dad to my three precious gems,feed them a git of 'laddoo' a speciality foud in india everyday by 5 in the evnin jst like clockwork. So if he forgets or he's not there, everyone goes like-'papa' or 'gimme laddoo'!!!!!! i always lnew they're so close to human babies.....

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
My hen zon knows exactly what she's saying. I can also listen to the flock of zons speaking their language and know what they're talking about. ie; someone hears me in the kitchen and they all start begging. Or there's a hawk in the tree outside. If their language has context why wouldn't any learned word have some meaning. It might be a social thing like singing, but it still means i'm happy, healthy and this is my home place.

Most Reactions