Sudden Aggression?

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
So Scarlet just turned into a raging jerk since yesterday....kinda makes me sad. She has been "moody" since I got her and just has times when she dosent want to be bothered but she never attacked me or really bit me super hard.
All of a sudden, she wants nothing to do with anyone. I havent changed my schedule, She gets tons of fruits and veggies, she is playing with toys, taking her baths, everything is the same. She just dosent want to come out at all and lunges at me....

I have noticed that she is starting to molt by all the pin feathers around her face/on top of her head and she is starting to preen herself alot more than usual. Could this be a reason for a change in behavior?

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
more likely then not you probably missed a new haircut or pair of shoes, and now because you dont care enough about her to notice when she changes something, she is giving you the silent treatment to see how you like being ignored.

Do not worry this type of behavior usually only lasts a week.

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
more likely then not you probably missed a new haircut or pair of shoes, and now because you dont care enough about her to notice when she changes something, she is giving you the silent treatment to see how you like being ignored.

Do not worry this type of behavior usually only lasts a week.

haha, at first I thought you were saying I dont care about my Scarlet but after re-reading I got it ROFL. You are probably right, she is probably just doin her own thing.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
So Scarlet just turned into a raging jerk since yesterday....kinda makes me sad. She has been "moody" since I got her and just has times when she dosent want to be bothered but she never attacked me or really bit me super hard.
All of a sudden, she wants nothing to do with anyone. I havent changed my schedule, She gets tons of fruits and veggies, she is playing with toys, taking her baths, everything is the same. She just dosent want to come out at all and lunges at me....

I have noticed that she is starting to molt by all the pin feathers around her face/on top of her head and she is starting to preen herself alot more than usual. Could this be a reason for a change in behavior?

Sorry your having a difficult time with Scarlet. She may be one of those hens that is happy to just chill with her human flock. Best to respect her space & avoid getting bitten. Most eclectus parrots especially the hens like their independence.

As far as molting goes, does she enjoy a daily shower. If so that always helps with keeping her feathers in good condition. IMO molting doesn't change a bird mood, eclectus are replacing feathers almost all year round.

I think her behavior is normal for most mature eclectus hen. You can't make them like you if they have picked someone else they feel more comfortable with. You have only had her for a short time. Building trust with an aged parrot can take months if not years. It's a very steady progress.

Check out the link below it may help.

Parrots: Reducing Aggression and Fear

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Thanks, I am slightly aware that female Eclectus are moody and not as friendly (for the most part). I just find it very odd that she was warming up to me so nicely over the last 2 weeks and all of a sudden she is worse than when she first came here....

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I think you'll find that the honeymoon period is over & she is working out what she likes & doesn't like. You have plenty of time just don't rush her. Remember it's all about the trust account.

I adopted a 6 year old SC Too & 4 years later I am still working with him, slowly he is trusting me more. We have come a long way in the last 4 years considering his original carer was a young guy & hubby & I are in our 60's now.

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Something I didnt even think about was that I put 3 new toys in her cage right before she got all crazy.....mabey that has a little bit to do with it? I know they are quite neophobic.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Something I didnt even think about was that I put 3 new toys in her cage right before she got all crazy.....mabey that has a little bit to do with it? I know they are quite neophobic.

OoooooooH NOOOOOO YOU DIDN'T. Eclectus HATE CHANGE even new toys in their cage. You must slowly introduce new things to them and I mean SLOWLY.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah

OoooooooH NOOOOOO YOU DIDN'T. Eclectus HATE CHANGE even new toys in their cage. You must slowly introduce new things to them and I mean SLOWLY.

I'm so glad you said that Mike, I was planning on buying some new toys for Jax. I would have just put them in his cage, I guess now I will do it over time. :)

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots

So one at a time then? Whats the best way to do this?

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I think it depends on the ekkie. My boy was subjected to changes ever since I was handfeeding him, and now I could stick him in a different cage and throw in new toys and he would be just fine with it. He loves new toys.
It could also be that she's a female ekkie. I don't have any personal experience with the females but I have been told that they can be anywhere from "feisty" to "satan" at times, and sweet other times.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

I'm so glad you said that Mike, I was planning on buying some new toys for Jax. I would have just put them in his cage, I guess now I will do it over time. :)

Yep, believe me I know. I had to look hi & Low for a playstand that was exactly like the one mac had before. When I finally found it, it was on back order for over a month. I had bought him a different playstand than the one he originally had and he was so afraid of it, he wouldn't go near it. If I put him on it, he would scream like a little girl and jump off of it and onto the floor and RUN back to his cage.

I tried to put a tree style play stand on top of his cage because he likes to spend time on the top of his cage and run across the bars. He refused to go near his cage all day. I had to remove it so that he would go into his cage at night to sleep. But after 2 days of this, I gave the tree type stand to my Senegal, who loved it from the git go. If I put a new toy in his cage without laying on the floor with him and playing with the toy in front of him for a couple of hours, he will refuse to go into his cage if I hang it in there.

I mainly try to keep foraging or shreading toys in his cage to keep him occupied while we are out.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
For my Cochise, I have to lay new toys on a nearby cabinet so he sees them for a few days first. During that time I pick it up and ooh and ahh over it. Also, watch what colors you wear around your bird,. no new scents, changes...some birds just don't like them, and certain colors set them off. For my birds, it is red.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah

Yep, believe me I know. I had to look hi & Low for a playstand that was exactly like the one mac had before.

Jax's cage has a play gym on the top of it and he will not go on it. He will stand on its flat bit (base), but will not climb the ladders or go onto the perch. But its part of the cage, so He just has to put up with it. He has had it since he needed a cage about 12 weeks. I was thinking of getting him a play stand but i think it might be a waste of money, He usually just flies to me when he's out and sits on my shoulder or next to me on the sofa. It's nice to know its an Ecky thing and not just a Jax thing.

OP
DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
So I took 2 of the 3 toys out and she is much better. Also, as someone else mentioned, color seems to set her off in a way. I tested it out this morning because she was eating my hand when I tried to pick her up. I was wearing a black shirt. After she bit me (hard), I changed into a grey shirt.....she let me pet her. Hmmmmmm, interesting. ;)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Change is bad with Ekkies. I recently took my girl on vacation for a week with the whole family. I mean grandparents, my family of 5 and my brothers family of 5. Ruby did fine except she ate a little less, but she really enjoyed the beach and riding on my sons handlebars around town. When it was time to go home the story changes. my mom decided to ride home with me and had her min pin in my car. Ruby was mad ! she bite the blood out of myself and 2 of my boys. So at the rest stop I moved her to hubby's truck and she calmed down. She refused to eat for a whole day after we got home. She has resumed her normal appetite, but when the min pin came over with my mom yesterday, she instantly said "no, no, no, go bye bye" She enjoyed the trip but she obviously didnt care for some of the company.
When I add new toys, I first hang them on her tree stand perch outside the cage. She can wonder over and check them out or ignore them. When she begins to play with a new toy on the tree, I then move it inside the cage.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I guess it depends on the bird, Audrey is fine when I give her new toys, I dont need to introduce them, she is so curious and will happily just play with them lol! I hope that the new toys were the problem and she is back to her old self!

Most Reactions

Latest posts