Suggestions/Comments appreciated.

txgreenk

Jul 31, 2016
Hi all! I am new to this site and have been reading several forums the past few days. I have recently taken in an Indian Ringneck (Ringo) from a friend that wanted to get rid of him. I'm assuming the reason they wanted to get rid of him was because of the noise. I have always wanted a parrot of some kind but couldn't afford one. So when they said they wanted to get rid of him I immediately told them that I would take him. I have had several parakeets over the years, so I love birds!

Now, more about Ringo. My friend had him for about 6 years and states that Ringo is around 8-10 years old. He is now on his 3rd owner so I can understand he will need to build lots of trust! As of today I have had him for a full week. The first couple of days he was very scared. I just gave him the attention he needed by talking to him to make him feel comfortable and change his food and water often. Over the last few days he has been mumbling which I believe to be the words we have been constantly repeating to him such as "Good morning" when we wake up, "night night" when we go to bed, "hello", "I love you", "whatcha doin", "pretty bird", "kisses" etc. We heard him say "hello" like the 2nd day we had him but haven't heard him speak since. He whistles all the time, will call for me when I leave the room. He always gets scared when we get too close to the cage, he will start screaming at us. The only time he won't scream at you is if he sees food in your hand and will take the food from your fingers through the cage. When I am changing water or food he is screaming at me and will come up to me and "act" like he is about to bite but only touches my hand with his beak.

He is really a pretty bird and we have enjoyed him so far. I just hope I am doing the right things for him to become more comfortable with us. I really hope to be able to take him out one day and let him fly around. I've thought about just opening his door and to let him come out on his own but afraid to do that in case I won't be able to get him to go back in. ;)

OP
T

txgreenk

Jul 31, 2016
04fc2997d8238fe998f27e99f1ca4eb3.jpg

Forgot to add a picture of our new little guy! :) can't get a picture of him sitting on his perch. He always has to jump up on the cage like this to see what I am doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts