Suggestions For Introducing A New Bird To My Grey

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Hi There,

My name is Blanca. I'm new to the board. I have a 13 year old Congo African Grey named Quincy. I've had him since he was 3 months old. He tends to be a cautious and nervous little guy so I am looking for tips and suggestions for introducing him to a new bird.

I have the opportunity to adopt a GW Macaw. She is 19 years old and sounds like she's been cage bound for most of the last several years. Her owner doesn't have time for her anymore and the owner is getting older. She loves her cage and doesn't come out much, but I hope to change that.

I really want the addition of this new family member (if we decide to adopt her) to be a positive transition for both birds. Any good tips or suggestions?

Also, my Grey is male and the Macaw is female. Is there any thing I need to worry about with that aspect. Thanks for reading my post!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Cages across the room from each other will allow them to check each other out, but before you bring home the Macaw I think you should talk to people about how they manage the dust from their Greys with Macaws in the same room. Some Macaws are bothered by dust. Maybe you already have a good air purifier and this is moot.

If you don't think your Grey will handle an immediate arrival in the same room, you could set the Macaw up in another area and they can "meet" each other vocally first, eventually being caged in the same room.

I don't know that you can expect them to show a great interest in each other since they are adults of different species, especially if they have both been single birds their entire lives.

Hopefully they will enjoy watching each other!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Sodakat - Thank you for these tips! We already planned to have them across the room from each other. The room is pretty large so they will be a good distance apart. So I think that will work ok. Someone also mentioned to me about the dust with Macaws, so I will definitely keep that in mind and possible look into a air filter. We live in a 200 year old house so an air filter may be the way to go.

I don't expect them to be best buddies. I'm just hopeful they can at least keep each other company and like you said, enjoy watching each other! Thanks again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts