suitable bird cage?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
The bar spacing is ok with that one, but the doors look a bit flimsy on it... If you bought the 2nd Cage you showed, then you could always buy a separate playgym for the top:)

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
The third one I'm not too keen on - IMHO, the rounded angles provide less space for the bird...

Domed cages provide less space and the bird could feel more constricted (especially as the dome cages' tops are where the bird is going to want to hang out at night...)

For a GCC, I'd stick to cage bar spacing at 5/8" or less. A bird getting trapped between the bars could break its neck, have anxiety problems, etc...

Another thought crossed my cobwebbed mind:

My GCCs liked this cage, as does Tybbi (in his own :) ):

Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Cage - Parrot Bird Cage and Playtop Bird Cage from Petco.com

It's a bit more costly but, during the day, there's more room for them to frolic in.

strasia93

Sep 26, 2012
Albuquerque
Parrots
Two Cinnamon Turquoise Green Cheek Conures;
Kalika and Makana,
brothers hatched November 6th 2011
I agree with therodynamic...

Spend the extra money for a nice cage, you will be happy you did.

This is the cage we have:
Prevue Hendryx Signature Select Series Wrought Iron Bird Cage in Chalk White at PETCO

I recomend the 20 x 24 or bigger. Several reasons for cages like this;
More room for your bird to get around.
More room for extra perches and toys.
A skirt to help catch their mess.
Super strong construction (long lasting cage).
Good casters to easily move the cage (this is improtant so you can easily clean the cage).

Your bird will love it too. :)

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
i would go with the petco designer black standing cockatiel cage.
it has a stand unlike the prevue hendryx cockatiel small parrot cage...
and i really done like the hq aviary flight cage. i find that its better for breeders not companions.

strasia93

Sep 26, 2012
Albuquerque
Parrots
Two Cinnamon Turquoise Green Cheek Conures;
Kalika and Makana,
brothers hatched November 6th 2011
Yes, the first one is too small...

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
the A&E Cage Company 20" X 20" Play Top Bird Cage at PETCO 20x20 one is too small

i currently have the more expensive hq prevue version of this one Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Cage - Parrot Bird Cage and Playtop Bird Cage from Petco.com and i absolutely love it.

i plan two of the designer mink brown cages to put on the sides of my prevue cage..

if you are short on cash right now, i think your best bet is going to be petcos finch flight cage.. i had my conures in one. i bought a natural cotton rope about a finger in diameter and tied it carefully from corner to corner and had a X supporting each other with a dowel rope infront of the food.. they really enjoyed the X part because they could move around a lot. it was a great starter.

OP
S

silvertiger3450

Oct 24, 2012

Most Reactions