Sun Conure age difference

silverblaz3

Oct 31, 2023
Parrots
A pair of sun conures.
Hi, i have a 8 months sun conure male & i recently got a 2 and half month sun conure female from a friend. Both have bonded well and are currently staying in the same cage since 1 week without any issues. As my male will attain breeding maturity earlier, will it try to mate with the female before the female attains breeding maturity. Will it cause any issue. Sorry for the noob question. Any info regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi, i have a 8 months sun conure male & i recently got a 2 and half month sun conure female from a friend. Both have bonded well and are currently staying in the same cage since 1 week without any issues. As my male will attain breeding maturity earlier, will it try to mate with the female before the female attains breeding maturity. Will it cause any issue. Sorry for the noob question. Any info regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums, @silverblaz3, and congrats on your pair of Suns!

While it's good they've become friends already, I'd suggest that you make arrangements for them to be housed in separate cages if you possibly can. Once those hormones kick in at maturity things can often go a bit haywire, as the instinct to breed is hard-wired and can have all sorts of unintended consequences in addition to unwanted breeding, even in the most previously mild-mannered of birds. In the wild your little hen would have plenty of space to escape any unwelcome advances by your rooster, something she doesn't have if they're caged together, even with lots of out-of-cage time. I once had a pair of cockatiels, very placid birds usually, but once the male's hormones were activated he became HUGELY aggressive towards my much older hen, to the point where he would physically attack her for not returning his affections. They always had separate cages, but when the chemicals in his brain took over he'd chase her around the house to the point of exhaustion and I'd have to cage her for her own safety. Your suns can still enjoy plenty of time together outside the cage with supervision, particularly if you want to prevent breeding. But in my experience it's always best to have separate cages for some time-out and/or for sleeping, just in case things get a little "hectic".

Best of luck with your new babies, and I hope you'll post some pics of them too, cos we love baby photos around here!

OP
S

silverblaz3

Oct 31, 2023
Parrots
A pair of sun conures.
Welcome to the forums, @silverblaz3, and congrats on your pair of Suns!

While it's good they've become friends already, I'd suggest that you make arrangements for them to be housed in separate cages if you possibly can. Once those hormones kick in at maturity things can often go a bit haywire, as the instinct to breed is hard-wired and can have all sorts of unintended consequences in addition to unwanted breeding, even in the most previously mild-mannered of birds. In the wild your little hen would have plenty of space to escape any unwelcome advances by your rooster, something she doesn't have if they're caged together, even with lots of out-of-cage time. I once had a pair of cockatiels, very placid birds usually, but once the male's hormones were activated he became HUGELY aggressive towards my much older hen, to the point where he would physically attack her for not returning his affections. They always had separate cages, but when the chemicals in his brain took over he'd chase her around the house to the point of exhaustion and I'd have to cage her for her own safety. Your suns can still enjoy plenty of time together outside the cage with supervision, particularly if you want to prevent breeding. But in my experience it's always best to have separate cages for some time-out and/or for sleeping, just in case things get a little "hectic".

Best of luck with your new babies, and I hope you'll post some pics of them too, cos we love baby photos around here!
Hi, thanks for the reply, as of now I don't have an additional cage, but I will monitor them continuously till i get another cage. Here is a pic of both of them together. The male is still so green, i doubt whether it is a jenday conure or sunday conure. Can u shed some light on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20231031_155847502~3.jpg
    PXL_20231031_155847502~3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 10

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
It will take a few molts for your Sun's to get the adult coloration. Around 2 year mark is when Phoenix was full adult.

20190905_144203.jpg

20 weeks
20191223_084046.jpg

After first molt 8 months
20200312_172221.jpg

2nd molt 1.5 year's
20211225_094614.jpg

3rd molt over 2 years old

OP
S

silverblaz3

Oct 31, 2023
Parrots
A pair of sun conures.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Birds typically molt twice a year. Going into autumn they molt the summer feathers for thicker winter ones. Then in spring they drop the thick ones for thinner summer ones. But if you live in an area where it stays the same temp year round then they only do a single molt.

Most Reactions

Latest posts