Sun conure does 180 in a days time

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
So, Starburst has always been a great bird....but three days ago he went outside with me, I heard a hawk, he saw the hawk and went ballistic..he tried to jump and fly...the hawk started his swoop but I grabbed Starburst and pulled him in to me..

The hawk pulled up and actually hit the house instead of snatching Starburst...

The problem...since this happened, Starburst has started flying away from me, he's screaming all the time, he avoids me touching him like I've hurt him...he's also doing the same thing to my wife...he'll still step up, but he tries to jump straight to our shoulders...

Idk if its a hormonal change(he's almost one and getting lots of yellow in on his back) or if when I grabbed him to save him from a swooping hawk?

He still eats with us, but he's skiddish of being touched..and we could always tough him all over..we just had to respect him...

Seemingly overnight he's gone from a great bird that was loving and affectionate, to some high strung shadow of his former self...you can see it in his eyes practically...he went from calm, to eyes wide open, on edge....

Any advice would be appreciated..he's the first young bird we've had...so we're new to his needs...

EDIT: he's not biting, he's just running from us for a step or two, then he steps up.....we don't chase him because we don't want to scare him more, and possibly cause him to start to bite...

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's probably due to the hawk, and he's associated the scare of the hawk with you, thus he's unjustly terrified.

You may have to go back to square one and just trying to keep him calm and regaining his trust. Perhaps try to find some way to make him feel more safe and secure? Moving cage, partially covering, anything?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
He is probably terrified still by the ordeal. 3 days is not that long. Birds learn to trust you, and be protected by you, and he had never had reason to be scared before. In a split second, he was almost taken by a Hawk, and his security blanket got snatched. You probably grabbed him roughly in your fright to protect him and restrained him. Usually, parrots trying to protect each other from danger "push" each other away from it, not restrain each other. Maybe he associated the danger from the hawk's near grabbing talons to your hold on him?
I'm sure that with a bit more time, he will be his old self again. Patience is important to show him that your hands are not evil, but gentle again.

PS: make sure that he was not physically hurt by you trying to protect him, which could then also explain why he would scream when touched.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Had the vet check him right away :) thank you both...I kept him with me today, and we've gained some trust back..I think he was terrified...and yes its true..our nature is to pull in, parrots push away to protect...

Thank you both :)

Last edited:
OP
94lt1

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
So Starburst is fine with mommy now..but I'm still an enemy...he will come to me and step up...he'll give me kisses...he slaps his wings and flutters for me when I smile and talk to him..but he will spook for no reason, and fly away from me...

I carefully approach him, and talk to him, and he steps up right away.

But when he's sitting on my hand...his head pops up, his body language says alert...watch for something...
.yet he doesn't bite or even snap at me..

I'm at a loss...I love this little bird with all of my heart...after jester, i can't lose another friend...especially when I didn't do anything...I saved him from a hawk...that's it..I understand his possible confusion...

But he's acted perfectly normal for me since the hawk... then he acts scared again, And flies off...its getting very disheartening. Idk what his deal is...

On moment he's fine.. the next he runs. I can always touch him with one hand, but the other hand scares him 50% of the time..

He turns 1 on march 10...not how I want to spend his hatch day :(

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I would be scared to death if that happened to me, and I'm not even prey!

Sounds like he has seen the other side of the Matrix so to speak. Now he knows fear. Now he knows predators. Now he knows he lives in a world where both exist. And he learned all that in about 20 seconds!

With this loss of innocence it will take time for him to "stand down" and not expect death from above all the time. In times of stress like that I allow my little guy to work it out by flying back and forth between my wife and I as we encourage him verbally. When stress occurs the body releases fight or flight chemicals/hormones that either freeze you/your bird, or boost your endurance and adenal glands in preparation for fleeing. Its not a good thing to just let them sit in the bloodstream for humans, so I can only imagine its bad for birds too. Thats why, after a fright I let him work it out until he gets tired.

My Hahns wings are clipped but he still has no trouble with short flights and my vet says flight is the best exercise to maintain his lungs/airflow.

Another thought is to provide more cover for him in his current enviornment.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
I don't understand this bird...he was just fine this morning...everything was back to normal...now, he's acting odd again...I brought him to the vet again....still he checks out....:confused::confused:

So...idk...this really concerns me...

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Time and patience is all you need.....

Be thankful for the little trusts he gives you here and there. Allow him some healing(mental) time.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
He's slowly coming around....March 10 is his hatch date.....that'll be a good day no matter what for the baby bird... :) the amazing techni color dream chicken :) that's what we call him lol.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Any progress is good! Hope he continues to improve and that he has a fun hatchday!

Most Reactions