Sun conure hates cage

Mommylajes

Jul 19, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Sun conure
Ok so mango is 3 months old and she absolutlely hates being in her cage! She freaks out when I wont get her out. She gets in her food dish and kicks everything out and tries to lift it with her head to spill it lol She is also trying to open the door where I put her food dish....Should I ignore her and make sure she settles down before I get her out? Btw she is out alot! & absolutely loves playing, cudding and sleeping on us. I don't want her to "train" me and end up being a bad bird haha...also I have a question about her poo...She has green poo...Is this normal? She is eating kaytee pellets softened and hard, seed mix and fresh fruit and veggies, lately she has has alot of carrots but Nothing green & her urine when it dries seems to be a light green, could it be that the poop is mixing together with the urine? She is acting just fine, no ruffled feathers, she is eating and drinking, and is very active! Any advise would be great :)

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Normaly the cage is the "safe room" for a perrot. Some have the perrot quite a long time in the age and some almost never. But I am sure that if you give the birth a lot of compy when in the cage then she will be use to it. If you only come to the cage when taking hear out then she will expect that and go creasy if not

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
What exactly is your babies diet. She is only 3 months old so is only just weaned. Her diet is very important & i would guess the green droppings could reflect on this. Also I would consider a Vet visit green droppings are a worry & could be a fungal or bac infection. She doesn't have to look sick to have a low grade infection.

Now you are already reinforcing bad behaviour. At this age it is so important to set boundaries & from what i am seeing here your bird is already ruling the roost. (Being Boss) It's not that she hates her cage it's more likely that she has so much out time she expects to be out. You need to ignore her behaviour. I bet when she is turning herself inside out you feel sorry for her & let her out instead of walking away. You need to reinforce good behaviour rather than the negetive.

I breed suns & if i don't keep them disciplined they can get out of hand.

OP
M

Mommylajes

Jul 19, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Sun conure
As stated above she eat Kaytee pellets, fresh fruit, veggies, cheerios, & seeds, she also has formula once a day still. I would take her out of the cage cause I read that it would also cause bad behavior. Idk I have never owned a sun conure before so I am still learning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts