sun conure & kids

Mommylajes

Jul 19, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Sun conure
We are making sure to teach our 2 year old to be super gentle with our sun conure. She does good most of the time and we do not leave them alone together. We actually have a lock on Mango's cage so she can't get her out! Sometimes my daughter can be a tad bit rough because she still doesn't quite understand that birds are alot more fragile than other animals (she is very sweet and gentle to cats and dogs btw) Mango has started making a loud screaming sound and kinda nips sometimes when my daughter tries to touch her BUT she will fly to her and sit on her. What do I do? I don't want Mango to hate her. Thanks:confused:

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
When I was researching to get Pi, I read that you really shouldn't allow children under the age of 5 to handle your sun conure anyway, due to something on their feathers which can make a young child ill. That said, 2 years old is VERY young, in my opinion, to be handling a small bird. Your conure will be with you for a long time. Maybe keep the little one on a look but don't touch basis for a couple more years. Give them both some time to mature and grow up a little bit.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would say that Mango doesn't have a whole lot of trust for your daughter so you have to keep being responsible with the birds time out of the cage. Your daughter has to learn to know how to handle a sun conure that said should your bird really bite your little girl hard it's possible she will be scared of parrots for the rest of her life. But i also know one good bite from a bird a child normally doesn't go back for a second nip. So maybe they will grow up to respect each other. LOL.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i think just explain to your daughter mango does not like to be touched (by children) nut will not let toddlers, pre teens touch her, she will sit on there shoulders (an sometime put in a sly nip to the face/lips) so i generally don't let her in same room when kids are about

Most Reactions

Latest posts