Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Sun's are beautiful fun parrots, but they can be very loud. If noise is a problem I definitely would vote cockatiel. Like was already mentioned get a female, they are much quieter than the males.

charliesmommy

Mar 24, 2012
Media
Albums
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Charlie:my blue Indian ring neck and Twiggy, a grey cockatiel.
I think a cockatiel is a better choice for you (I have one) who is also alone during the day. Mine entertains himself. He (Twiggy) is lots of fun, and has a unique personality. He talks, holds his foot up to his head while making the sound of a phone ringing, then says Hello. He bows and bob's he head when I talk to him. He loves to perch on my shoulder and get head rubs.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
He talks, holds his foot up to his head while making the sound of a phone ringing, then says Hello.

Cute!!! Did he pick that up on his own or did you teach him?

The bird on your avatar (Blue Indian Ringneck?) is beautiful.

Last edited:
OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
:greenyellow::blue2:Oh and noise isn't a problem now, my grandma and grandpa were staying over here and they were complaining about the noise so my mom asked me to qiuete them down (budgies) because they sometimes get headaches so after they leave my mom and my dad won't have a problem with noise .

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
I also wanted to see if their is a breeder near me and their is , they have hand fed and hand tamed red factor sunconures and different color cockatiels. I think I might want a sunconures as noise doesn't really matter any more and I read up a lot on how to keep your conure from biting.....

Aug 6, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
GCC-*Boo*, TAG-*Charlie
I think if biting is a problem you shoulld get a cockateil because they bite but it wonthurt as much. All birds will bite hard. You shouldnt be afraid of biting because every bird will do it. Also if you are going to to get a sunny, make sure when it comes to step up on your hand, you dont get freaked out when it uses its beak to get balance. He will mouth you but not bite. All conures bite until they are about 5 actually. My green cheek is 8 months and bites hard. I bled once but it was because he kept biting the same area. Also if you dont get home til 4, take it out after school and before school. Before school wont be enough time to play with it. You can feed it and clean its cage liner thingy in the morning a give it love but also make sure you play with it for at least 2-3 hours i reccomend. I had a cockateil when i was younger, He was fun but when he got older he got nasty. Also cockateils live to be around 10-15 years old and conures live to be around 25-30 years. So if you are planning on going away to college i reccomend a cockateil. I am still in schoola and i just got an african grey about 11 days ago. I made the commitment that i cant go away to school no matter what. I dont care what I want to do with my life, I am not leaving this bird behind, as well as my conure. If you want a bird that is like a mixture of a sun conure and a cockateil, You can get a green cheeked conure. They are a little cheaper then sunnies, are little clowns, have smaller and weaker beaks then sunnies so theree bite wont hurt as much because sun conures bbite HURT! I got bit once and i bled just from one bite. It was a nasty bird but a lot of sunnies are sweet. I depend on what bird chooses you. I reccomend you go to breeders for all type of conures because they all have different temperments. I dont mean to turn you away from a sun conue or a cockateil but i just want to tell you some of the possibilites. I never was a fan of sun conures because of there loudness( but thats not the problem for you) there strong beaks, and There size. Green cheeks are smaller and are rainbow. There are all different colors of conures and they all are amazing, just if you are nervous about biting, dont get a sun conure. Go to the breeders and let the bird choose you. Conures require a larger cage then a cockateil, and conures i believe are smarter, they can learn to talk and they make cute noises. Hope this helps!

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Thanks it helped a lot ! I found a breeder near me that breeds conures that are hand fedand tamed that are only 200 each.collage won't bea problem either . My mom said she's going to come with me (not to the actual collage)just travel their with me, OVER PROTECTIVE parants. Argggggggg. No matter if it's Alaska or Montana she's coming with me she's going to get a apartment over there so I'll bring the birds to the apartment (my mom knows a bit about birds)I'll see if the breeder has some green cheeks too. I really want a bird that likes being touched,played with and getting drowned in attention .

Aug 6, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
GCC-*Boo*, TAG-*Charlie
Okay I like the fact your getting one from a breeder. Conures and cocktails both love being played with but green cheeks like more hands on interaction which I love.

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
So my first choice will be green cheek then sun, then cockatiel

Aug 6, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
GCC-*Boo*, TAG-*Charlie
Have fun choosing your bird! They are amazing! Just remeber to have more the one person handling them as they are young other wise they will bond to 1 person and will be feisty to other people. This happenes to most parrots and birds except for cockatoos. I would know. My green cheek loves me and my mom but is some what frightened of others. Also make sure you get one that was handled a lot, they will be much easier to take out and play with and the wont have cage aggression because some birds get like that. My conure would stay out of his cage all day if he could but my african grey is a monster when it comes to him beingparted from his cage. Haha but both of mine are just babies. My green cheek is 8 months old and they stop being nippy once they get older so around 3 years old and my african grey is 5 months old, I just got him 2 weeks ago.

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Thanks and one last question , whatss better to have , a female conure or male?:orange::p

Aug 6, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
GCC-*Boo*, TAG-*Charlie
I dont think it really matters. Female get nippy and aggresive then they get hormonal and males get fussy as well a lot. I reccomend a Male because females will randomly lay eggs when matured but they will not be fertile. There will just be random eggs. So there is a chance of it being egg bound but that is very very rare. So i reccomend a male overall, but I dont mind either.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Also, conures of any kind have a very needy personality. They just love attention. And will let you know when you are t giving them enough. I think that cockatiels are more content and calm than conures. And they do bite hard, when they bite. I agree that a cockatiel might be better for you and your situation. Definitely let us know what you decide and remember to post pics! Good luck!

beekersmom

Aug 16, 2012
Media
Largo Florida
Parrots
two 'tiels both boys, Punkie 4 and Rocky, 3. A one year old green cheek, male named Beeker (rules the house lol), A Senegal about 9 months named Baby, sex undetermined, and a male blue fronted Amazon
Tiel's are wonderful birds and don't mind being left alone for long periods of time. Sun's are wonderful, beautiful, sweet, funny, and need at least one to two hours of your time a day, out of cage, if you want to keep it social. The only thing I found out about the bite is that if they mean business, they do not release. They hold on till they decide to let go. If for any reason you get bitten like that you have two choices, cover the nares or take the bird to the sink and run water over the face till he lets go. NEVER BACK DOWN. If you are bitten you need to watch the body language, and at the earliest possible moment go back and handle him again. If he senses that you are frightened or upset he will continue to try to dominate you with hard bites. :cool:

Most Reactions