Sun Conure or Senegal Parrot

RexGilangPN

Jun 15, 2017
Sun Conure are beautiful and I want to have one. Which one do you prefer and which one is easier to take care?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I live with a sun conure and I've met a senegal on several occasions. I can only speak from personal experience but the biggest difference I saw was how active they are. My sun is an energizer bunny (though he has mellowed out with age). The senegal I met was more laid back. My sun has a much louder, high pitched, piercing screech but it is shorter in duration and non repetitive. The senegal I met has a lower decibel (but still loud), high pitched screech that is longer in duration and tends to repeat. Funny enough, I can stand my sun's screech more because even though it is louder, he rarely goes off. The senegal I met seemed to go on and on. But again, this may be just that senegal. Others may be less vocal.

Some suns are more open to other flock members, senegals (from what I've read) tend to be more aggressive to other birds in that they would outright attack. I have 2 parakeets who follow my sun conure everywhere. He lets them visit his cage and eat from his chop dish. He goes to visit their cage and eat from their chop dish too. He just doesn't want them preening him or snuggling close to him. He's a bit of a diva.

Last edited:

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I don't know anything about Sun Conures, but I have a Senegal. She's only noisy for about an hour after I take her out of the cage in the morning. And it's only bad to me because she does it right in my ear while on my shoulder. It's not like she's loud enough to disturb the neighbors or anything.

She's really a laid back, easy going little bird. She will only go to me and my daughter, however and she is very devoted to me. I could never imagine a little bird loving me so much. If I leave her out on the porch in the morning she'll go to the door and scratch on it like a dog and she yells what sounds like "yoo hoo, yoo hoo" until I come and get her.

She's no trouble at all and she's really loveable. To me and my daughter that is, she wants nothing to do with anyone else. If you want a bird who will happily go to anyone this might not be the one for you. Although they can be trained to do anything if you take the time.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Keep in mind, almost every parrot has their loud time, and there is no hard and fast rule within any species. They are a lot of work and live a r-e-a-l-l-y long time. But no other animal can give you the love a parrot can.

Most Reactions