Sun Conure weight?

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
So I weighed my 1 year old conure this morning and he weighs 63g. I read on here that a fully grown sun should be around 100-120g. What is a good weight for one that is 1 year? I started freaking out this morning when I first saw it then stopped to think, he's not quite fully grown yet, haha.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Not quite fully grown, but pretty near if I'm honest. If you think about it, he's not going to double in size and 120g isn't far off half of what he weighs now.

Are your scales the correct type? This is the sort we need http://www.avianweb.com/scales.html I include myself in this - I need to buy some!!!

I'd advise going to an avian vet to get him weighed. If he really is that weight, the lil guy needs feeding up! Also the vet can check for any underlying causes, but I do suspect the scales aren't quite telling you the truth lol!

Edit: I forgot to mention, Cal weighed just a bit more than that (figure escapes me!!!! late 60's) on her first vet check which he said was fine. That was when she was about 14weeks old. :)

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
63gms is extremly light. Make sure you zero your scale and try again. I highly recommend a vet check if this weight is correct. Can you feel his chest (keel) bone protruding sharply?

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
No, his chest doesn't seem boney at all, nice and fluffy. I did zero out the scale but maybe it's just not that accurate? I will try weighing something I know the exact weight of and see just how accurate it is. I am bringing him to the vet soon anyway just in case.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
A Sun Conure's weight should be between 100g and 123g, not sure from what age tho.
Great that you are going to take him to the vet, best option.
Informative link below, pertaining to their weight etc

Sun Conures or Sun Parakeets: Species information and Photos

sunconure.jpg

Last edited:

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
I use a digital food scale I keep in the kitchen to weigh my bird. That seems really low for a Sun though; my Green-cheek weighed in last weekend at 64g, and she's nearly 1/4 smaller than my 4 month old Sun! Even if you can't feel the keel bone you may want to go see the vet just in case.

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
I'm almost 100% sure it's 1g increments. I'm not at home right now so I can't check :/

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Just a quick update...I got home from work and tried weighing Iago again and this time it came out to 115g. I put the scale on a different surface so maybe the scale was giving a false reading because of this. I am so relieved that he is a normal weight! (I was worrying all day at work, haha)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
To accurately weigh a bird you should weigh in the am after the morning dropping and before bird eats. Do this each day. If you weigh the bird after it eats then it is not acurate. I got the best scale from someone who has been in the business a long long time. Try birdscales.com . http://birdscales.com/

Last edited:
OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Ok, I will check them out...I did read that the best time to weigh them is in the AM but with the weight this morning, I just wanted to double check and make sure it was something I was doing wrong and not his actual weight.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
So glad that the scales were playing up! I did suspect this as the pic you have of Iago if recent is a really nice size! Even more noticible because he is wet!

Most Reactions

Latest posts