Sun Conure's Beak Broke...Well A Small Part Of It Thankfully.

Pens

Nov 12, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (One Year Old)
I was playing with Sunny today and I noticed that he had a small break in his beak. He seems to be eating and drinking as usual, he also still plays. I don't see any blood and my main concern is if it will ever grow back. I have attached a picture of the beak, the break is visible. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,481

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I can't see the break.

Is it on the front of the beak or the side?

OP
P

Pens

Nov 12, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (One Year Old)
I can't see the break.

Is it on the front of the beak or the side?

It's on the side of the beak. If you start from the left and go towards the right, you'll notice a small "dip" in the beak. That's the part that's broken.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Is there a crack or is it just like a peeling? If it's just peeling, that is normal. Having 'layered' coatings on the front and side of the beak is perfectly normal. If there is a significant sized chip or a deep crack, then you'll want to see a vet - but from what I see it's just peeling. Peelings can look like cracks, but if you touch the surface it should change in texture if it's just a peeling.

I'm enclosing a photo of my sun - with a peeling beak. Take a look and see if what my Skittles has is similar to yours.

I have Skittles beak polished at his annual. This is what his beak look likes when it is pealing really badly. Make sure your sun has access to a cuttlebone. A mineral block might also help.

w.jpg

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I think I see it. It's triangular in shape right? Never seen that before! Not sure if it would grow back, I think it is small enough that it might. I would add more vitamin A and carotenoid in his diet for beak (nail and plumage) health. Fresh carrots, mangoes, cantaloupe - those are the things that come to mind. You can also look into red palm oil as supplement, it is okayed by my A vet.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
You can also feed broccoli and sweet potatoes. The 'meaty' green & orange fruits and veggies are VERY high in Vitamin A.

I feed my birds Harrisons, and I also give them each powertreats which have Brazilian palm fruit oil in them.

I wish I could see what the above poster sees, but my vision ain't too great. I wear progressive lenses. I could use some Vitamin A myself. LOL.

Most Reactions