Sun conures?

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Skittys, a tiel sounds great! Jay Jay wasn't nice but was an easy pet.

GreenCheekMamma, quakers bite a lot and I don't think I could do two aggressive birds but maybe!

So suns are just to loud. to bad. :(

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
They are VERY loud, but not as noisy as cockatiels and parakeets IMO, but even a few short moments of a suns call can be unbearable to many.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles only does his 'high pitch' loud voice when he senses danger. If someone comes over, the doorbell rings or someone knocks on the door - or if I take something out that he isn't familiar with. He used to have a fit whenever I opened a DVD. I had to take the case and disc over to him and comfort him saying 'it was okay'. He doesn't do that anymore with DVDs.

Other than that, he does have a loud screech, but it's bearable to me - but I have a very high tolerance to bird noise.

The noises he makes mostly throughout the day are 'froggy noises', 'kissy noises' and a little chirp that sounds like when you run a rag on a window when you clean it.

He can be a bit manipulative though. He does that 'kissy noise' whenever he wants something.

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I think I myself could tolerate that, I love it when parrots scream! ( I know, weird) But not my family. :/ So I will try to go for the Meyers. Or red bellied, I cant choose! :)

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
What is a brown throated conure like? There's a baby at a local pet shop and I was wondering, are they loud like the sun conures?

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
So maybe as loud or a little louder as an green cheek conure? Thanks for the link! That's good advice!

Last edited:

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I wouldn't know, since I've never seen a brown throated conure in person or heard one scream, but there might be videos on Youtube to give you an idea~

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
So maybe as loud or a little louder as an green cheek conure? Thanks for the link! That's good advice!

I've never owned a GCC, so this is merely an opinion based on heresay, but from what I have heard - the general consensus is that GCC are quieter and less noisy than suns. They are two different genres of conures. Suns are part of the 'aratinga' genre which are known for being 'loud' while the GCC is part of the 'pyrrhura' genre.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You can get loud gcc conures. My one does this super loud scream in the evenings and mornings. I can't even describe it accurately. My sun is higher pitched but he has nothing on Monster when it comes to pure loudness. I'm pretty sure he is highly unusually though or I just find the higher pitch of the sun more tolerable! My female gcc will shriek an ear piercing super high pitch shriek that makes your ear ring. She isn't loud like the sun or male gcc unless either one gets her in on the chatter...

I love the look of the red bellies! I was thinking of getting one before I got my second gcc then the sun:)

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Yes, GCC are not the quietest bird ever, Lilo screams if Im not with her or if I didn't read a book to her before bed! :rolleyes:

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
She also can scream as loud as a sun conure if she feels threaten.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, like I said - I've never owned one. LOL.

I think most of it depends on the bird. Some people have sun conures that are rather quiet - Skittles happens to be one of those.

I don't think any species can be or should be universally graded on loudness and noisiness, each bird is different. That's what makes them so special! :)

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
I do agree with you Skittys, they are all so unique and some are VERY loud and some are nice and quiet. It all depends on the bird! :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That photo in your profile is hilarious. Is that a sombrero? How the heck did you get him to keep that on and be able to take a picture?

WhirlyBirdy

Dec 15, 2013
australia
Parrots
Sun conure and Yellow sided green cheek
Have you considered other australian birds, like lorikeets, rosella's, princess parrots, they are quite colourful cheeky and some what quiter

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Skittys, its not my bird, I wondered the same thing, how did it sit there long enough to take the pic??? I think its a jenday conure.

Whirly, I thought about it but there aren't any of those kinds of breeders around here. :(

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I find that the more time I spend with Skittles, the quieter he tends to be.

I can get Skittles to lay on his back like that, but I can't put a hat on him. For one, I don't have a hat that small (though maybe a bottlecap would work) lol

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Just stopping by to brag that Tallulah says "step up." I never expected her to talk so it is very exciting for me. :)

Most Reactions