surprised by a love of a bird-picture heavy

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
last week I brought Dexter back into the bedroom with his mate Sundance.
Dexter was my very first cockatiel, hand tamed and fell in love with him at first sight, we really took to each other. I don't talk about him much, like I do about my other birds, but he is usually breeding.

he's the dad of Num Num, Angus & Sponge, who just recently passed away.

I've had Dexter almost 4 years, he is an awesome bird, talks, and is a GREAT FATHER
when he is with Sundance he gets VERY protective and nasty, so I stay away, missing him terribly.
It's been almost 9 months since I've handled him, yes that's right, 9 months!!
that is a life time for me never mind him, but I always miss him, and try and let him out for some flight time before going back to his fatherly duties.

you would think by now he would not want me at all, but he's quite the affectionate one, even after all this time.

Once in the bedroom,the first thing I did was mist him, and he thoroughly enjoyed his bath time. He flew on to me, soaking wet, climbed up to give me a kiss, well, you could have knocked me over with a feather!....my heart literally melted....

he proceeded to prune himself while he perched on my hand, so I grabbed my camera and started taking pics.

He then climbed up onto my shoulder and decided to just hang there, so here we go with the pics.... this was a very special day for me I just love my Dexie, those days are way to few and far between!!!:rolleyes:

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Lovely photos of Dexter. You both clearly still have a strong bond.

I had to leave my tiel at my mums when I moved away for work however whenever we come home to her place my bird still never forgets me. I think it is just ingrained in them who their favourite is. :)

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Lovely photos of Dexter. You both clearly still have a strong bond.

I had to leave my tiel at my mums when I moved away for work however whenever we come home to her place my bird still never forgets me. I think it is just ingrained in them who their favourite is. :)

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
What a beauty!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He's a beautiful pied boy!!! My very first one was a pied as well. :)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
the next day he was back to his usual protective self.

He and Sundance found an old nesting box in the bedroom, and that was that.....love story over....hormones kick in again.

They both have had a 6 month break from breeding, so when they saw the nesting box it was like "come to mamma!" lol.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
Aww how cute! Thats awesome you still share a bond, he is so beautiful !!!

Most Reactions