Suspicious Preening Behavior?

bradta

Oct 24, 2018
Greer, SC, USA
:blue2::yellow2: I've had my blue quaker parrot for about a couple months now and we introduced another quaker companion to the family. I have noticed that they have gotten along pretty well other than this weird preening behavior. My blue quaker parrot will preen my lutino parrot around the neck and head and will also put his foot on her (usually her head). Does anyone have any answers?:confused:

Vimeo of this behavior

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well I’m certainly no expert, but it could be a dominance thing? Since you had the blue quaker first he may be asserting himself. I’m sure others will have more insight for you soon, as long as your birds don’t come to blows you’re probably ok.

Are they male and female? That may give you a whole new set of concerns to be thinking about...!

OP
B

bradta

Oct 24, 2018
Greer, SC, USA
Well I’m certainly no expert, but it could be a dominance thing? Since you had the blue quaker first he may be asserting himself. I’m sure others will have more insight for you soon, as long as your birds don’t come to blows you’re probably ok.

Are they male and female? That may give you a whole new set of concerns to be thinking about...!

I've been thinking that they are male and female, but have not gotten them officially sexed yet. (Just basing from behaviors)
I'm constantly watching to make sure if its a dominance thing...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts