Sweet Angel, my special boy.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Angel is Roscoe, my other Catalina macaw's older brother. He is 1yr., 7 months old and is my special needs boy. He was born with deformities in his leg joints and one wing is affected. He has extra calcification in his joints & it prevents him from being able to stand on a perch. Angel can climb perfectly and does enjoy a full life.

When I was waiting for Roscoe to get old enough to come home from the breeder, I found out she had Angel and was looking for a home for him that didn't mind him being special. I asked to be put on the list as a possible suitable home. Years ago I had a budgie given to me (no one else wanted her) that had deformed feet. Her toes were all twisted around & she couldn't grasp a perch. I built her little Mesquite bark ramps so she could waddle up on & hang out with the other 2 budgies that lived with her. So the breeder decided I would be the one to take Angel home & I am so blessed to be owned by him.

Here are a few pics of my sweet Angel enjoying himself in my arms and on his play perch. He doesn't like to be picked up, but sometimes I will hold him on a towel in my lap & spend quality time with him.

The last pic shows a lot of the new wing feathers he has grown out since coming home in Jan. While he was still at the breeder's and was learning to climb, she said he beat his wings up pretty badly. He still a few feathers to go to lose all the rough looking ones.

002.jpg

024.jpg

026-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

035-2.jpg

004.jpg

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
He's so beautiful!! You're a sweet person for taking care of a special needs bird. He looks happy. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
He is magnificent! And THANK YOU for opening your heart and home to a special-needs bird. :)

Angel is a very lucky boy! Despite his handicap, he has that mischieveous twinkle in his eyes.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Your Catalina brothers are absolutely beautiful, Turquoise! Thanks so much for taking in Angel!! He looks to be a contented, happy Macaw and that's so wonderful :) Thank you for sharing the pics!

OP
Turquoise

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Thanks everyone, Angel is special in so many ways & he is no trouble what so ever to have around. At least as far as him, special needs just means he does things a little different from other parrots.

Yes he does have a mischievous side to him when he feels like being a stinker.

Most Reactions