T-Stand

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i need to know how to make a simple T-Stand. you know, for training ect. i need it to have something to catch poop. i was thinking drilling a hole in a cookie sheet and putting it on the dowel/pvc/ whatever goes up the middle and sits right under the perch. i would also prefer it to have removeable food bowls but that isnt a big deal. also try to keep it under 20-30$. thanks guys!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'd suggest an upside down U instead of a T-Perch. That way, you can place your hand underneath the bird if required.

You can use wooden dowls or PVP pipe for the perch itself. In fact, you could make the entire stand out of PVC if you'd like with no extra items required. If you make the base the right size, you could even build it so that you can place a pan or something inside the PVC.

People typically use a base of wood. If it's a simple 1 x 1 square, some may use a linoleum tile to cover the wood and protect it. There's also the option of going with laminated wood (comes in white) and cut to size - although they also have pre-cut squares at hard ware stores usually. Add sides to it if you'd like to help contain mess, and voila!

I haven't heard of anyone using a cookie sheet, but it may be a great option!

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i was thinking of making the base out of plywood. probably 18x18 and 3/4 thick. then in the center, screw in a 1 1/2 in wood dowel. then about 3/4 of the way up put the cookie sheet(hold it there with hot glue. once it is dry it is bird safe) and at the top, horazontally screw on a dowel. probably 3/4 in for the top perch part. but doesnt it have to be UNtreated? how do you know?

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Take a look at the Simple DIY PVC Perch posted a few back. Better to be able to throw away newspaper than to be scrubbing a surface of dried poop. I guess you could let it pile high but that is just gross. With this design you don't have to cut special shapes to accommodate the center post and/or a round base. Adding food cups would be easy. I chose not too as I hate having to clean up after a messy chow session on my coffee table.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijoozx9lgukdy4k/2012-09-06 17.34.52.jpg

I just had an idea. Since the base is square you could place this perch inside a plastic rectangular storage bin. One with 5 inch high sides. This should catch most of the falling flotsam. I would continue to use newspaper in the bottom for the droppings. I bought one as a bird bath from Target and they only run around $5.

Thanks Monica for your thoughts leading to this design improvement.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Take a look at the Simple DIY PVC Perch posted a few back. Better to be able to throw away newspaper than to be scrubbing a surface of dried poop. I guess you could let it pile high but that is just gross. With this design you don't have to cut special shapes to accommodate the center post and/or a round base. Adding food cups would be easy. I chose not too as I hate having to clean up after a messy chow session on my coffee table.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijoozx9lgukdy4k/2012-09-06 17.34.52.jpg

I just had an idea. Since the base is square you could place this perch inside a plastic rectangular storage bin. One with 5 inch high sides. This should catch most of the falling flotsam. I would continue to use newspaper in the bottom for the droppings. I bought one as a bird bath from Target and they only run around $5.

Thanks Monica for your thoughts leading to this design improvement.

That's basically what I was describing! Only, the bottom is square based, and then a pan would sit in the middle of the PVC. I saw a video of an amazon(?) taking a bath outside on a plastic PVC stand, and they had like a kitchen wash basin as a tub for the zon to bath in.... not sure where I saw the video or otherwise I'd link to it!

Of course, I guess you could always put the PVC base into the pan instead, although that might not be quite as clean? I'm not sure...

mrgoogl, that sounds like a good idea! You could even use a plastic dish of some sort, I saw a hanging gym made out of one of those snow disks that kids ride in? Possibilities are endless!

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
thanks guys. i am considering useing pvc. but i would have to make a base and make it tall baause i dont have a table to put it on. if any1 else has ideas let me know!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
friedsoup, that looks like it would be perfect!! what are all those items called so i know what to ask for? again, how do you know that the wood is untreated?? but otherwise that stand looks like it would be great(picturing it all togetmer in my mind that is )

Henryofmagic

Sep 5, 2012
Queens,ny
Parrots
Macaw,cockatoo
I found piano stands work great,I also had one made for my show it is stainless steel it's a big square base about a foot and a half big a metal bar going upwards and then a little bar on top for them to perch it look like like a T stand lol I went to someone who knows how to weld told him what I wanted he went to his store where he works at found scrap metal and made it really quick it's all silver ,I'm currently trying to design one that has wheels on the bottom that can lock up so it's Easier to move across rooms or stage.i payed the guy like 30 bucks he didn't even want the money he said it was a 3 sec Job for him,you just have to find the right person I guess

Enjoy
Henry

Henryofmagic

Sep 5, 2012
Queens,ny
Parrots
Macaw,cockatoo
Btw I forgot I have a beautiful PVC stand that I was given it has a flower pot Bottom to catch poop two food hamster food bowls and a little perch that sticks out on the side that has a eye hook to attach toys etc really nice looking and it would cost around 20 bucks or less depends where you get your hardware at home depot is where I found all tools used for this except the hamster bowls

,it really easy to make I just have to get a pic up

everytime I try to post a picture for some reason it says exceeds your quota by 134.5 kb any one knows what this means?

Email me at [email protected] and I can send you pictures maybe I will make a video on how to make this if a lot of people are interested

Henry

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Btw I forgot I have a beautiful PVC stand that I was given it has a flower pot Bottom to catch poop two food hamster food bowls and a little perch that sticks out on the side that has a eye hook to attach toys etc really nice looking and it would cost around 20 bucks or less depends where you get your hardware at home depot is where I found all tools used for this except the hamster bowls

,it really easy to make I just have to get a pic up

everytime I try to post a picture for some reason it says exceeds your quota by 134.5 kb any one knows what this means?

Email me at [email protected] and I can send you pictures maybe I will make a video on how to make this if a lot of people are interested

Henry

Hello Henry,
The PVC stand sounds great. I would be very interested to see it if you could share a photo or video. Sounds like your photo exceeds the criteria for posting, which in the albums is:

Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels

The forum will try to resize it, but it is better to post one that isn't too large. Perhaps you can resize it, or on your computer or maybe try a 'save as' and use a different format, like png, or a lower resolution.

I'll send you an email to see if you can send direct to me.

Thanks.
:green1:

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
hey guys. thanks so much. i finished my stand yesterday! ill post some pics within a few days

Most Reactions

Latest posts