Taking birds on little trips in a travel cage?

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hello everyone!

My birds spend most of their days out of the cages on their play stands. During summer, I bring them outside into a big cage to get some sunshine, hear the aviary/wild birds, and overall to give them a change of scenery. The weather has been beautiful recently and I’ve been bringing them out every other day.

However, I would really like to take them on little adventures away from my house. I have a small (not tiny) portable travel cage with a handle that I usually use for vet visits, however I would like some opinions on bringing one or more of my birds on a little walk with me. I know there are those bird backpacks and what not, but those are expensive and my birds might not like being enclosed in a space like that. if I go to a park, I really want them to see and hear as much as possible, considering how much they love their outdoor time. I also have considered harnesses, but training for this will take a long time and I am wondering whether, until they are fully trained, I can take advantage of this lovely weather and allow them to see some more of the world?

I would appreciate any and all opinions!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Well, I got Levi the Pak-O-Bird & we use it all the time. He really likes it. However, you already ruled it out. If your concerned about the price ask for it for a gift? Watch some you tube videos, that’s what I did. Most of the birds take to it very well.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I have a backpack and my bird lovers it. I also have a travel cage that she stays in while we camp.

For the cage, make sure you reinforce it if it is one of the collapsible types. I use cable ties on my travel cage. You want to assure that if a dog runs into you and knocks the cage, or causes you to drop it, the handle breaks or whatever, that the cage remains viable.

I would also bring a towel or something to create shade if needed. Also, my parrot doesn't seem to drink when she's in her backpack so I don't bother to provide water but instead give her fruit like apples or anything with lots of moisture in them.

I take my Nike out often in the summer including on hikes.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
One of the biggest mistakes most people make is that they only use their travel carrier for trips to the Avian Vet. And then, find that the Parrot dislikes going into the carrier. Any reason you can create to use the carrier to take your Parrot out and about, do so!

Most Parrots love to be outside and the wonders of Sunlight is something that is not only enjoyed by Humans, our Parrots love it as well. Whether it is fresh air or time in the Sun, its all good!

Check the comments regarding towels, etc,. and mix it in!

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Well, I got Levi the Pak-O-Bird & we use it all the time. He really likes it. However, you already ruled it out. If your concerned about the price ask for it for a gift? Watch some you tube videos, that’s what I did. Most of the birds take to it very well.

Thanks, for me it is mostly a concern about the price and then discovering that my birds do not like it. Also, I live in South Africa and importing adds an additional cost, so it really isn’t economically possible for me right now. :(

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
I have a backpack and my bird lovers it. I also have a travel cage that she stays in while we camp.

For the cage, make sure you reinforce it if it is one of the collapsible types. I use cable ties on my travel cage. You want to assure that if a dog runs into you and knocks the cage, or causes you to drop it, the handle breaks or whatever, that the cage remains viable.

I would also bring a towel or something to create shade if needed. Also, my parrot doesn't seem to drink when she's in her backpack so I don't bother to provide water but instead give her fruit like apples or anything with lots of moisture in them.

I take my Nike out often in the summer including on hikes.

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely bring a towel along.

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
One of the biggest mistakes most people make is that they only use their travel carrier for trips to the Avian Vet. And then, find that the Parrot dislikes going into the carrier. Any reason you can create to use the carrier to take your Parrot out and about, do so!

Most Parrots love to be outside and the wonders of Sunlight is something that is not only enjoyed by Humans, our Parrots love it as well. Whether it is fresh air or time in the Sun, its all good!

That’s very true! I think it is quite important for them to associate the cage with things other than the vet. I actually might take them out tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Budgies or a 'tiel would fit nicely in the smallest of pac-o-bird cages. They really are a big step above all other travel cages. With fine metal mesh for the sides, birds can see just fine out the front and sides. For walks in the park, Salty goes into his harness, but driving to and from , or any car travel, he is in his pac-o-bird, with a seat belt on.

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Budgies or a 'tiel would fit nicely in the smallest of pac-o-bird cages. They really are a big step above all other travel cages. With fine metal mesh for the sides, birds can see just fine out the front and sides. For walks in the park, Salty goes into his harness, but driving to and from , or any car travel, he is in his pac-o-bird, with a seat belt on.

I think I’ll probably save up for one! For now though, the travel cage will have to do.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Just wait until Salty starts Driver's Training!

You could find yourself in line at Mickey D's, behind a large white SUV, who's YNA is ordering her coffee and crackers! :D

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I think I’ll probably save up for one! For now though, the travel cage will have to do

Great plan. They are very pricey, but it made airline travel SO easy-I feel it was worth it for that alone, but I know we’ll use it for a lot more than that, even once Bumble is harness trained.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
I think I’ll probably save up for one! For now though, the travel cage will have to do

Great plan. They are very pricey, but it made airline travel SO easy-I feel it was worth it for that alone, but I know we’ll use it for a lot more than that, even once Bumble is harness trained.

Inger, did you go on your trip yet? Glad you like the Pak.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

Inger, did you go on your trip yet? Glad you like the Pak.

I’m on it now [emoji2] We flew on 12/16 and we will head home on 1/1. And I looooove the “Pak-o-Bumble”

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Is she staying in the pack or did you bring a cage as well? Glad it worked out.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Thanks, for me it is mostly a concern about the price and then discovering that my birds do not like it. Also, I live in South Africa and importing adds an additional cost, so it really isn’t economically possible for me right now. :(

I completely understand. I have a lot on things Levi rejected. I had your same concerns that he’d hate the pak-o-bird as well.

Good Luck!! :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Is she staying in the pack or did you bring a cage as well? Glad it worked out.

I planned to bring a cage, but it didn’t break down the way I thought so I had Amazon send one. It’s very small, but only for a couple of weeks so it will have to do. Although if I posted a pic of it, a lot of people would kindly tell me it was “a little small” [emoji29]

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
I've been taking remi out in the carrier on car trips, even if it's just to pick someone up from the bus.

The idea is to condition her to be good with car travel - as we often do a long distance drive to a holiday place every few months.

We just have a cheapo pet carrier (as I also worried about the expensive outlay with a pak-o-bird) and I'm thinking of decking it out with perches, and maybe lining the bottom with a yoga mat material for grip (still need to research...)

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
I have one pak-o-bird and two of the less pricey birdie go-gos. I prefer the birdie go-gos because the top handle makes it easier to carry and the birds are able to see out of it better. Maybe check that one out?

Attachments

• EF2F07D6-E52E-4DBE-AFB3-A963DCA2ABA2.jpg
    EF2F07D6-E52E-4DBE-AFB3-A963DCA2ABA2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 96
OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
I have one pak-o-bird and two of the less pricey birdie go-gos. I prefer the birdie go-gos because the top handle makes it easier to carry and the birds are able to see out of it better. Maybe check that one out?

Will do! Ah that is an absolutely adorable picture, thanks so much!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

That’s a great point. I hadn’t thought of that.
We take Levi everywhere. So, he goes right into his travel cage & pak-o-bird without incident. As I’m putting him in I always tell him we’re going on an adventure.. Ha :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts