Taking care a a bird when you are sick

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
What do you do when you are sick and therefore tired and don't have the time to spend with your bird?
Makes me sad cause I feel like I'm not giving him attention

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If it is just a day or two, no biggie. If it is going to be an extended illness, I would consider asking a friend to come over and help with take care of your little birdie. hope you are feeling better quickly.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Trashy telly party. All three come and perch on me. I crash out on the couch.

Company is enough. It doesn't have to be engaging company.

OP
Regan

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
I would let him out but only got him about 3 months ago and still training him to trust me :(
Thank you, I feel like I've abandon him but like you say it's only for a short time, so that makes me feel a little better :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, spend what time you can with your bird, sit with a drink and be with him, talk to him. Give him a couple of treats. Ensure he cleaned, fed and watered and has toys, you could leave the radio on on low. Get well soon and I'm sure it will be OK as long as the birds basic needs are met.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When I'm really not feeling well, my birds tend to know it.

They actually will tend to act concerned, and understanding if there's a disruption in the normal routine.

Then they get clingy when I feel better.

"We were worried."

They mask illnesses. When it shows, it means something is seriously wrong.

We don't. They know something's not right.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
It may help just to sit near your parrot's cage. A while ago, I had a problem with a pinched nerve in my back, and couldn't do much besides sit in a chair anyway, so I sat next to Ralph's cage, and he was content with that. If I have a cold or other illness, I'll sit with Ralph too. He won't let me doze off, but will keep himself busy if I'm sitting with him reading or watching television.

Most Reactions

Latest posts