Taking your Amazon on a trip

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I'm thinking of taking Mango with me on some of my day trips, only concern I have is length of being out and heat. If I give him plenty of water and keep him with me will he be ok?

BACON

May 18, 2013
Depends on what sort of trips you have planned. Why not take him on a few short trips and build him up first. Once he's in the swing of things I'm sure he'll be fine.
Ishe harness trained or clipped??
You'd have to take food water.

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
Good question. I am hoping to be a vender at a couple of ren faires next year. It would require traveling over the weekends and I would rather take Zack than leave him with someone.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Mango is harness trained, well he lets me get it on him with a little but if a fight but once its on we are good. Its going to be day trips to like Montauk and upstate NY.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
My Lilac Crown Amazon was an excellent passenger. She had her own custom built perch with poop protector (two sticks with lots of duct tape-Hey! Don't laugh this was back in the 70's) that was firmly situated on the passenger seat. She enjoyed the trip and loved talking the entire way.

Oscar the Orange Wing hated traveling so he stayed home.

Last fall, Barney and Louise traveled well when riding home with me. The were safely inside a cat carrier strapped in place by the safety belt in the back seat. The weather was fine, the airconditioner worked well, and they were not left alone in the car at any time.

Now that I am older I am more aware of the safety of the occupants in my car. Keeping any animal in a traveling cage is the best way to keep your pet safe. Not to mention a panicked free flying bird in a moving car could cause an accident. While we all enjoy having our pets travel with us, always be aware of your traveling companions comfort and safety. I can't tell you how many times I've seen injured dogs come to the vet clinic fresh from a car accident. Cats were not usually seen because they are usually in a cat carrier which does afford some protection even if they were ejected from the car.

One extreme case involved an accident in which a dog was the only survivor. Oddly, the human occupants had no ID on them. Since the subdued Scotty had no collar, I scanned the dog for a microchip and lo and behold we had a name of the owner who was able to ID the driver of the car. Unfortunately, the Scotty died soon after, but at least we had someone to contact. We learned the folks were simply going down the road to buy watermelon from a neighbor.

So, my advice when traveling with ANY pet is to make sure every one will arrive safe. Don't leave your pet in a car, and if you think the heat will be a factor leave your pet at home weather it be furred or feathered. And remember your avian companion most likely will not like traveling in a cold car. Keep your traveling companion safely in a carrier if he or she is not well mannered. I know it is difficult to keep Tasha off your lap when driving, but remember automotive air bags are murder on your pets.

I love traveling with my pets but I'm always aware they depend on me to keep them safe, and reluctantly leave them at home.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I would have him in the carrier at all times while driving. My dog had a harness that attaches to the seat belt. My main concern is if he is going to get too tired walking around with me all day.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
You can try doing 'training' trips on the days you are not working. Take short walks with him and see how he handles it. If he does well, then you can increase the length of your walks. Either way you need to have a contingency plan in place for when he does get tired once he's on the job with you. Have a 'safe' area were he can find private time to himself.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep.

That's what the evening walks are for.

That plus to get everyone, including me, outside every day.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I responded to this thread a few days ago and lost internet service and my response. I think it's so important that i wanted to post a response. I take my hen nape everywhere, always have. She's been with me for 44 yrs now, and has been there,done that. Boat sinkings, truck wrecks, hurricanes,tornado,fires , dogs attack,hawk attack,etc. She's spent the night alone in the woods alone before,a acouple of times. Thank the Lord we have survived much and have been very lucky many times. Especially you folks with young zons should take and do every thing with them. Yes you have the responsibility to be "alert" to things like ,opening doors, dogs, hawks, all the things you never see coming. Have your zons complete trust, easy to do if you include them in your every day activities. My hen never feels safer than with my hand over her back while she's on my arm. Or riding on a "neck perch" with her head "tucked" under my chin. That bond is what will "save" you from the unexpected. The socialization your zon learns will strengthen your personal bond. Go for it, take them with you.

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
I have always wanted to try and take sweet pea out and about, she does go from home to work in a carrier with me and she is around a lot of people...but i would just love to take her to a park, or something....but i don't really think she would go for a harness and trying it makes me nervous to say the least

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I noticed when Mango is outside his grip on me is a little tighter and he never once tried to fly away. Inside he does what he wants.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I suggest a harness, my older hen doesn't tolerate it well. Young birds are so much easier to train. IMO a good travel cage is a must.

Most Reactions

Latest posts