Talk me out of getting a large macaw!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Chris-md, I hate to say that misery loves company, but I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who has become schizophrenic!

Do you think you will ever be able to make a decision? My mood/mind changes so frequently that I am afraid to make any decisions at this point.

I want a parrot so I will eventually have to make a decision. Knowing myself, as much research as I've been doing on these two medium sized birds, and as much as I suspect I actually can accommodate them (these are days I ask myself "could I put up with as demanding as a second yorkie? And answer yes), if I do wind up going with one of them over a conure it will be less based on reason and more on a whim/schizophrenic up cycle since I don't have experience to draw from. There's. Too many unknowns in my life to make a reasoned decision (I.e. How will my partner be with it over time?). If it comes to that I still have to choose between an active attention seeking dog type or independent me,low type (again, depends more on my mood).

It just, for me, falls under the banner "I have no way of knowing what it will be like and if it truly would be a fit until I actually try. But with so many unknowns and not nearly enough money to throw around, do I have any business trying in the first place?" That's what I need to determine.

Yours is a tad easier in my opinion. From my *research* into these species for my own interest (zero personal experience, again), you'rs appears to be a choice between two birds that are very similar, six-of-one-half-dozen-of-another, can't go wrong either way so choose whichever is most attractive to you or choose whichever is cheaper. I envy you, wish my decision was so clear cut (id go RFM just because it's cheaper.)

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My BTM(Emit) unlike Zoe loves wood toys, the harder they are for him to shred up the better lol. And I leave my little guy out "free" all day but he is in his own room since we have 3 dogs. The only damage he's done, he did in his first week of coming home. Where he tore holes in the plastic blinds and took the corner off the closet door in the room. But ever since I set boundaries, (ex. you do something bad, you get cage time and i leave the room.) thats probably my most effective tactic for curving his bad behavior lol.
I wouldn't trade my Emit for any other bird/mammal/reptile or person in the world! So just saying if you don't mind a very mechanical and extremely affectionate macaw, to the point you just wanna kiss them and snuggle ALL the time, then I say go for it! You won't regret it.

P.S. They're soon much fun, I'm adding another to my family lol

Zoe also doesn't talk. What about Emit? She came to us saying "cracker, hi, and step up." Once I heard her say, "Stop it!" But that's it.

Zoe also took a 2x2 foot chunk out of the living room wall one day when we had her cage too close to the wall and went to work.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Follow your dreams! Get the big bird! Just do it! If I could I would!

The Internet has a perfect video for this thread (I'm sure many of you have seen this already :D)

[ame="https://youtu.be/nuHfVn_cfHU"]https://youtu.be/nuHfVn_cfHU[/ame]

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I am fighting the urge for a second bird. Heck I was not even looking for the first he just found me lol. I live in a small house. His cage is not just a cage it is one of the largest pieces of furniture we own. I have zero room for another large cage . Well I could turn one of the two guest rooms into a bird room LOL> But like the cage being in a active part of the house.

BB talked when we adopted him . trouble is it was all X rated talk. He has quit repeating the worse ones .
Someone said a Mac is like a 3 year old child and they are so right ........ A 3 year old that will bite , throw there food , cuss , chew up there surroundings and will love you more than any other pet you have ever owned.

No matter what breed of bird you get. They will love you more than any pet you have ever owned.

My Corgi loves me but my Mac is in love with me. You choose your dog or cat. Your bird will choose you ......... or not

Last edited:
OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Thanks again to you all for your comments - I really appreciate your insights.

Now that I understand that the attention a Hahns will require is about the same as a BTM or RFM, I think I've finally been able to figure out my biggest concern when it comes to getting a macaw... will a macaw require my complete attention whenever I am home?

I loved spending most of my time with Taylor when I was home - she was my constant companion. I would say that she was out of her cage interacting with us most of the time we were home. Sometimes she would be perched on my shoulder (or on my head, unfortunately) and sometimes she would be hanging out on a play stand or on the back of our couch looking out the window.

But there were days when I needed my space and she had to spend more time entertaining herself. Will a macaw be able to do this? Ultimately, I would like my next bird to be able to entertain itself at times like Taylor did. Will a macaw contentedly hang out on his play stand (with ample amounts of interesting toys, of course) while I am in the same room?

What have your experiences been? Do your macaws spend time entertaining themselves when you are home?

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw

Now that I understand that the attention a Hahns will require is about the same as a BTM or RFM, I think I've finally been able to figure out my biggest concern when it comes to getting a macaw... will a macaw require my complete attention whenever I am home?

I loved spending most of my time with Taylor when I was home - she was my constant companion. I would say that she was out of her cage interacting with us most of the time we were home. Sometimes she would be perched on my shoulder (or on my head, unfortunately) and sometimes she would be hanging out on a play stand or on the back of our couch looking out the window.

But there were days when I needed my space and she had to spend more time entertaining herself. Will a macaw be able to do this? Ultimately, I would like my next bird to be able to entertain itself at times like Taylor did. Will a macaw contentedly hang out on his play stand (with ample amounts of interesting toys, of course) while I am in the same room?

What have your experiences been? Do your macaws spend time entertaining themselves when you are home?
Phoebe spends a lot of supervised time chilling on her play stand..playing with toys..preening herself. But she also gets around 3 hours of total one on one attention every day.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Sure they do. I mean I work so get home about 6 pm and besides spending time with BB I have things I have to do. He is on his play gym watching me or just playing. I wheel him to the door so he can watch and yell at the dog's and other birds in the yard. I have to eat shower so Yeah he does not get 100% of my attention.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I have a Severe - well actually 3 - two of them entertain themselves really well. The third...does when she has to. She comes out of the cage the most (but all cage doors are open the same amount of time).

I have found with all of my birds that a little eye to eye contact, a stern voice, and a talking to - usually work. Not 100% of the time but most of the time. I talk to mine like I would a toddler when they need to do something. Other times I talk to them just like I would anyone else in my house.

I have also noticed when I don't feel well and can't have them out because I'm just not up to supervision...they are quiet and spend more time playing (tearing apart) their toys.

If you can get a BTM - get it. But those RFM are really pretty too. Or get all three if you want...I honestly don't think you are going to settle on just one bird.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Zoe would prefer she gets my full attention 24/7 and to be honest she does require more direct attention than say my sennies. However, she does and can play by herself on her tree, or cage and I've got a net I need to set up. Getting her to play on her own is a work in progress and even when I do have the time to give her 100% attention I make sure she spends time playing alone.

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
Desire for a BTM...I blame theKarens for this! Every time I see pics or video of Zoe, I start searching for a BTM breeder.

It may actually be a good thing that they are now classified as endangered and cannot be sold over state lines, if they were readily available I'd be out a couple of $K.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Its all about patterning them, and teaching them there are times you have to self entertain. That's part of the boundary setting process. Do that and you're fine.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
On the topic of macaws...are they ALL pretty much one person birds? Is that pretty much expected to happen where they choose a favourite? Is it possible to socialize them to be family friendly or do they usually get unfriendly with the rest of the family? Is there a particular species that is more prone or less prone to this? Thanks!

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I've heard that Severes and Scarlets are more 'one person' birds, but if properly socialized they should all be able to get handled by other members of the family. They might not be as lovey with them as they are with the one they are bonded to though. Phoebe uses my husband as a portable means to get to me, but shes not unfriendly with anyone.

OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
YES! It is totally theKarens fault!! ;)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
On the topic of macaws...are they ALL pretty much one person birds? Is that pretty much expected to happen where they choose a favourite? Is it possible to socialize them to be family friendly or do they usually get unfriendly with the rest of the family? Is there a particular species that is more prone or less prone to this? Thanks!

Zoe loves everyone EXCEPT people she can intimidate. If she can scare them then she's not having it. Otherwise she loves everyone and from week to week it changes who is the favorite in our household.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Zoe loves everyone EXCEPT people she can intimidate. If she can scare them then she's not having it. Otherwise she loves everyone and from week to week it changes who is the favorite in our household.

And that for god knows what reason seems to be a universal macaw truth...

We don't know why it is, it just is. If they sense fear, you're done, until they don't. Then you're best buds...

Soaring

Jul 3, 2014
Houston, TX
Parrots
Emit - Blue Throated Macaw,

R.I.P. - Apollo - DYH Amazon
Thekarens Emit does talk ! Well not too much lol but he says Step up,Hi,Hello,Goodbye,Good night, Emit, Ouch!, OH, Awww, and he mumbles I love you lol oh and he has what i call his evil laugh lol Sounds like a villain in a bond movie "hahaha"

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

No, not at all. :)

Both my Niko AND Ripley will go to anyone in the family. Niko can be petted all over by all of us, and he thoroughly enjoys it.

Ripley will even step up for a complete stranger.

But yeah, they both sense hesitation and fear, and would take advantage.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Great! My dream for a future macaw lives on!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
What size cage is your B&G in, Christinenc2000?

And what size cage is Zoe in, thekarens?

Here is a link to the cage my B & G is in . Lots of room . Bought it when I adopted him In OCT and no issues

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Silverado-Dometop-3155S/dp/B000TZ3P6W/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1433974774&sr=8-14&keywords=bird+cage+large"]Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Silverado Macaw Dometop Cage 3155S Silverado 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch : Macaw Bird Cage : Pet Supplies[/ame]

I have this same cage for my greenwing and it works great!!

I am self employed and my schedule changes daily! LOL! So my guys have periods all through out the week that they have to entertain themselves. You just have to teach them that. I don't like sticking to a strict schedule either. They need to learn flexibility. If you keep too much of a routine, they will act out when that schedule changes. So I try to mix it up all the time. My birds never know what's coming next and I think that helps keep them well adjusted to change!

We all don't have time to spend hours per day with our fids one on one. I spend an average of 30 minutes to an hour of one on one time with my fids per day. It's about quality of time not quantity necessarily! They spend hours hanging out on there play stands at work and at home, busily entertaining themselves. I try to have them out of the cages as much as possible. They are all happy fids! So I must be doing something right! LOL!

I also take them on what I like to call "field trips". Especially during the warmer months of the year up here in Vermont. This includes trips to school, walks and to the store. I just took Savannah to our school pot luck last night. I find this is a great way to socialize them and get them exposed to many different types of situations. I try to bring them along to do a "field trip" at least once a week now that the weather is nice enough!

As for what bird to get...I would say size really doesn't matter all that much with your choices. Get what you want. I have two "big" macs and absolutely love them. I would get another but I don't really have the proper space for another "big" bird. LOL! There is nothing like the relationship you have with a bonded macaw! ;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions