Rescued macaw. Have a couple questions.

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
I didn't need him but I couldn't leave him where he was at. He's a 50yo supposedly Ruby macaw. Everyone else says GW. I don't really care honestly. He started plucking after his second owner of 25 years died from brain cancer in the home and wasn't found for 3 days. The guy I got him from has only had him a couple years. He is a smoker and smoked inside the home. This bird sounded like he had emphysema when I got him last week. He sounds much better now and the vet today said his "lungs" sounded good. We'll get blood and fecal results back on Thursday.
My questions are regarding taming him. He's not aggressive but is very afraid of hands. When I got him home last week he did step up on a perch and I was able to walk him to his cage. Same thing today when we got home from the vet. Except he glided down (can't fly because he plucks) to the ground and walked towards the door. I asked him to step up on the perch and he did but he's very wobbly and gets nervous. He never went for my hands once and they were close to his beak lol He has no issues climbing around his cage and being on his stand all day. He's a very quiet guy and just does his own thing. I have no intentions on forcing him to be friendly if he doesn't want to be but it would be nice to be able to help him with all the pins he has :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 277
OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
Here's another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 288

akrrm

Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Parrots
Swoop~Blue and Gold Macaw (30 years young)
He's very handsome. Congrats on your new family member. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Many congrats on your new family member. Does he have a name?

Was he housed in the cage that’s next to him in the second picture?

So glad you’re giving him a chance at a new beginning! :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is 100% greenwing.

And he/she just probably doesn't know step up any more if this bird hasn't been handled in years. But if he was a pampered part for 25 + years, Its still inside him.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Omg so pretty! Those pix do want to make you want to snuggle. Your doing a wonderful thing, I also believe he still has love inside him just give him a chance and I'm sure he'll come around. I had an Amazon that was neglected for 12 years but before that part of his life he was loved....and that part of him came out quickly after I got him..good luck with your new baby!

OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
Thanks everyone. Yes, that's the cage he came with. He only sleeps in it. He hangs out on his stand all day. I have a California Cage in the garage but not sure if that's any bigger than this one. Since I have 2 macaws now I'd like to get one of those double macaw cages.
He's a sweet guy. He takes treats from my hand so gently, blows kisses and likes to be sung to. I'll keep working with him. It would be awesome if I could bring him around.

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Congrats on your new family member! He does look like he's in dire need of some snuggles :) I hope you can get him to come around... but even if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be quite content to live the rest of his life knowing that he's loved and cared for!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I think that he steps up on a stick is great :) I would get him away from his cage . Put him near you like a playstand pulled towards where your sitting . Or maybe at the end of the couch . Let him be curious about you while your going about your business,. Continue to talk to him while hes out .I bet he will eventually come to see you :) remember no pressure . Funny you say a Ruby Macaw. I got a very plucked GW in December.She now has a lot of yellow feathers growing in on her back . Starting to see a couple that look orange. Im convinced though the rest of her looks like a GW She might be a Ruby.

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
Congratulations! You’re doing a great thing in providing this senior GW a good home. Heartwarming indeed to see your post! Good job!

OP
Runzbarrel

Runzbarrel

Apr 21, 2015
Washington
Parrots
"Peaches" G2
"Squeaker" YNA
"Crackers" B&G
Awwww thanks guys. I couldn't leave him where he was at. He looked so miserable. As of tonight he's learned to kiss the back of my hand for a treat! And once he realized what was going in he got excited for a second.
I wish I could put him on a stand here in the living room but he won't come to me when he's on the cage and I don't want him to get hurt. I do go spend time with him throughout the day in his room bringing him a random treat here and there. He loves his food that's for sure.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Great sign hes kissing you !!! As Birdman said - He was loved once and will have a memory :)

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
What a sweet guy - his life is going to be so much happier now that he is with you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts