Taming a Mature Amazon

Akinachan97

Feb 2, 2014
Ontario
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, Orange Winged Amazon
Hey everyone ^-^

I recently bought a 15 year old, male Orange Winged Amazon. It's been almost two days since I've had him but I haven't let him out of his cage. His previous owners really neglected to take care of him. He's rather large for a bird of his kind, his nails are over grown, he's malnurished, and he's not hand tame. He isn't aggressive but I would really like some advice on how I can get him to accept me and my family. I'm scared that he's not getting enough excercise and that he isn't enjoying his pellets too much. I've only seen him drink water only once. What should I do? I'm really concerned.

Miss A :yellow1:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
A vet visit should be top priority. If he was used to eating seed at his previous home I'd continue offering seed and also offering fresh vegetables.

OP
Akinachan97

Akinachan97

Feb 2, 2014
Ontario
Parrots
Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to take him to the vet as soon as he's a bit more comfortable with us. What about his nails? Should I trim them myself? I don't want him to be afraid of me.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
well Miss A, welcome to the forum!!.... ;)

there is plenty of excellent advice on here, I don't linger in the Zon section, but I might now since your on, haha.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
just to inform everyone on here, Miss A is a lovely young woman whom I purchased Sunkist from just a few weeks ago. we have been in constant contact with each other.

she had asked me about advice on her newly adopted Zon so I directed her to here :)....just about the best place for advice.

snowghost

Feb 16, 2014
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Parrots
One white front Amazon, Bugsy, I've had her for 19 years and Cracker, a 10 year old Cockatiel.
If he is malnourished definitely rush him to a vet, the over grown nails can be clipped at the vets.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
miss A, maybe you can post a picture, that would help members really see how he looks.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello Miss A and welcome! Any friend of Beth's is a friend of mine:)
I would agree that a vet visit is in order, and I would let them clip his nails. I also agree with Karen about still giving him seeds if that's what he was eating before.
As far as him accepting you, patience and time...and lots of love:)

OP
Akinachan97

Akinachan97

Feb 2, 2014
Ontario
Parrots
Thanks a lot everyone! For your wonderful advice and kind welcome. I'll be sure to take him to a vet sometime next week to have him checked up. You see, he wasn't really eating seeds either. He ate white rice, vegetables, fruits, and lentils. I'm feeding him a variety of vegetables and fruits, along with his pellets and seeds. I'm also thinking of buying vitamins. As for his nails, my mother clipped one of his nails today but he didn't give her a chance to cut the other ones. Our local pet store offered to cut his nails for us so we're off tomorrow to have them trimmed!

OP
Akinachan97

Akinachan97

Feb 2, 2014
Ontario
Parrots
A special thank you to my friend, Beth. She referred this forum to me!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Welcome to the forum!

Like others have said- continue his current diet and slowly switch him over to eating fruits, veggies, and pellets- with the pellets you might have to try different brands to find the ones he'll eat voluntarily....or hide them in food- I grind up pellets super fine and put it in the birdie bread I make.

Amazons are food lovers- sit by his cage and read him a fun story, give him some apple slices to munch on- or whatever he finds irresistible (this may involve a lot of trial and error!). I recommend everyone who lives with you to interact with him one-on-one because the more people he's socialized with, the better.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Welcome! Welcome!! Like Terry said, any friend of Beth's is a friend of ours :)

First, get that boy to the vet. He can do all the necessary checks and he will rexcommend the appropriate supplements, if any, your zon needs. And let the vet can do the nail clip - it will be a bit traumatic for your bird so it is best that you don't do it (not a good way to start a relationship and all that).

Take it slow with him. Spend as much time as you can by his cage, chatting to him, feeding him titbits, singing/whistling to him and so on. Don't force anything, he will come around in time.

What's his name? And where's his pic?? :) :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Miss A. Let us know how he reacts to his nail trim and vet visit. I would ask the vet for advice on the vitamins before you start giving them. Sometimes soaking in pellets in apple juice or water works to transition from seed. Keep trying, sometimes it takes a while.

Most Reactions