Taming

Jammin31

Apr 15, 2012
Hi All,

i just been and bought myself a Conure thats 9 weeks old and ive been able to hand feed him / her (need to get dna sexed lol)

he/she stays on the perch and does not appear to want to venture onto my finger so any tiips on doing this would be great, when i put my hand in with no food i get nibbled but i want to use the treats/food as a reward more than just feed him/her

New to birds etc so all suggestions would be appreciated.

If i leave the door open in our small lounge which is secure and he decides to venture out will this be best or am i never going to get him back in lol

_Temptations_

Apr 2, 2012
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Three cockatiels
Two lovebirds
Two meyers
Two conures
if you put your finger right about its feet (lower abdominal) and gentle push, he/she should put at least on foot on your finger. After that, just raise your finger a little and he/she should hop on.

OP
J

Jammin31

Apr 15, 2012
What about leaving the cage door open and letting him venture out ? will i get him back in or am i going to be stuck with a bird flying around my lounge lol

_Temptations_

Apr 2, 2012
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Three cockatiels
Two lovebirds
Two meyers
Two conures
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get him back into the cage if he is being hand fed by you. he shouldn't be afraid of your hand and once you get him to step up all you have to do is have him step up on your hand and put him in the cage. you can even train him to go into the cage by himself.

OP
J

Jammin31

Apr 15, 2012
I had him out tonight briefly tempted by a grape and also got him back into his cage the only trouble im having is every time i go to put my finger under him to make him step up im getting nipped. If i have a grape and hold it up above him and then sneak my finger under im ok but i need to stop him nipping my finger (stings a gooden lol)

_Temptations_

Apr 2, 2012
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Three cockatiels
Two lovebirds
Two meyers
Two conures
Don't back away or show any hesitation when he is nippy. That only allows him to get what he wants. Once he's on your finger, reward him with a treat. He'll soon learn that if he steps up on your finger, he'll get a treat.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
It might be easier to train him away from his cage. A lot of birds are cage aggressive and it makes it harder. Can you take him out with a perch or will he come out 9n his own? Then move him to another room with a perch and work with him for 15 mins at a time with just stepping up.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Best to clip the wings once they master their flight skills. I wouldn't even worry about teaching him to step up until after you clip him. Repeated process of stepping up over and over will teach him quickly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts