Target Training

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I am trying to figure out a way to do audible target training with Tiki. He is blind, so he can't see the target so I need to figure out a target he can hear. If it was just in his cage, I could tap the part of the cage I want him to go to, but I want to be able to work with him outside of his cage as well. I also want it to be able to be something he can grab with his beak, thus finishing the "target" part. Anyone have any ideas?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
But even outside of his cage, he'd be perched on something. So couldn't you just tap whatever part of the perch or tree stand you want him to walk over to?

I suppose if you were working with him on the floor, though, you could use a target stick and a clicker. (This only makes sense if you don't use a clicker for training, otherwise.) You could just hold the clicker and the target stick in the same hand, and the sound from the clicker would, for all intents and purposes, be coming from the target stick. Which he could then grasp with his beak.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Combine clicker with the target training! Much the same concept for a blind bird, clicker training would definitely be easier for him. Just adapt to your end goal, whether it's stationing or just responding to the sound.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
But even outside of his cage, he'd be perched on something. So couldn't you just tap whatever part of the perch or tree stand you want him to walk over to?

I suppose if you were working with him on the floor, though, you could use a target stick and a clicker. (This only makes sense if you don't use a clicker for training, otherwise.) You could just hold the clicker and the target stick in the same hand, and the sound from the clicker would, for all intents and purposes, be coming from the target stick. Which he could then grasp with his beak.

I suppose you are right about him always being on "something". Even our floors are all hard floors, so he would hear the tap. I think I may have been overthinking this just a little. I am just trying to think of ways to get him some exercise other than just making him step up fifty times. So I thought target training I could get him to at least climb around his cage, or walk around the table for a while.

Most Reactions