Tears of Joy at my house

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
And a big Thank you to everyone who gave me advise on this forum. We have had BB for one year in Oct and he took to me right away. I kinda felt bad because he um I don't want to say hate but i think it was just mistrusted my BF James. Now granted James was not a big bird person but grew to really respect BB and was in awe of how I could handle him. ( that has just happened in the last few months

BB was in my lap letting me preen him. A whole freaking 45 min of just opening pin feathers and scratching the spoiled brat . When he had enough he jumped on the back of the couch and headed to the other end. I was joking and told James to pick him up and put him back on his stand. He called my bluff and stuck his arm out. Well I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when BB stuck his leg out to step up.

Where is the damn camera when you need it. James looked at me like Ok what do I do now. I said move close enough so he does not have to stretch. He jumped right on James.

Those that don't know this is a big step. He would move to the other side of the cage or play stand to avoid James. I am so over joyed I just had to share.

James said he did it because he hung his new swing LOL Maybe so

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh Gosh, Christine, this is HUGE!!!! :D You need to stop, lady, cause my eyes are getting all sweaty! :heart:

What an ENORMOUS milestone this was, and I can fully understand all the emotions behind it! XX

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I wish I had gotten a picture of James face. He was in awe . When he put him down he said OMG he is so soft and light never in my life did I think I would hold such a amazing creature.

Of course BB had to flap wings all the way back to the cage that freaked him out a little .

BB's talons are not sharp but James has 3 pin holes on his arm I told him that is a badge of honor . BB was holding on for deal life lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It'll happen again, Christine. NO doubt in my mind! Perhaps his face won't quite be like it was today....but then again, if BB was to open his beak, can you imagine what the face would be like THEN? <just smack me!> LMAO!!!! :D

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hey that's really nice, see love conquers in the end!
Thank you for sharing your lovely experience.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
That's fantastic news Christine! I know that feeling, it's exhilarating; a real high! So happy for you all with this momentous step :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow! That's amazing, Christine! It just goes to show what patience and perseverance can accomplish. I'm so happy for you and James both. And BB too, actually!

Moose

Feb 17, 2016
What fantastic news!!! I bet he felt so wonderful. What a spectacular moment for you all.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I'm so happy for you, James and BB! Your story is proof that we should never give up hope that our fids will warm up to other humans in the family!

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Thank you everyone. Considering James was not a bird person I think BB won him over last night :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great job, BB! That's a huge milestone, Christine! You must be so proud and excited, I know that was a sweet experience for James too.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Thank you everyone. Considering James was not a bird person I think BB won him over last night :)

This is my identical story with my partner. Isn't it such a relief??

Yes it is. James has really been good about things. Building stuff for BB. Heck he goes into a grocery store and always comes home with something new for him to eat. So glad BB at least put a foot forward for him lol

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
That's awesome news Christine!...I'm sure James wont be able to stop talking about it either!:D

Amy was a "one person bird" <ME!> and one night Arleen and I were watching tv,Amy on my lap..and all of a sudden Amy just climbs down my lap..walks over to Arleen and climbs up on hers,and lowers her head on Arleens leg demanding scritches! Just out of the blue!
Now Amy goes to her all the time..maybe coz Arleen feeds her her nummys,,lol

Jim

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
That's awesome news Christine!...I'm sure James wont be able to stop talking about it either!:D

Amy was a "one person bird" <ME!> and one night Arleen and I were watching tv,Amy on my lap..and all of a sudden Amy just climbs down my lap..walks over to Arleen and climbs up on hers,and lowers her head on Arleens leg demanding scritches! Just out of the blue!
Now Amy goes to her all the time..maybe coz Arleen feeds her her nummys,,lol

Jim

James has been feeding him special treats and that helps.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is awesome progress! Congrats!!!

Most Reactions