Teflon...

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I have this horrible horrible fear of teflon and any non-stick surface. I may even begin to have teflon nightmares lol. I threw away all my non-stick appliances before I brought home Hiroshi.

Tonight I started doing some research on the harm it can cause and it said that even if you live in a building with someone who cooks with teflon the fumes could still get to your bird! Am I being paranoid here?

I live in a condo and now I'm really really worried that the evil teflon monster will sneak in through my vents and hurt Hiroshi:scared01:

Can this happen??? Has it happened to anyone else???????

I know I sound nuts lol I swear I'm partially normal;)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Wow scary stuff! I spose in a unique circumstance fumes from Teflon cookware could float through ventilation systems and air ducts. Apparently non stick products have to be overheated to have any affect, BUT better safe than sorry. Most people think we are paranoid about this stuff, but the truth is, it has been published many times that non-stick have serious affects on birds and even humans.

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
It is scary! thanks for the validation lol. and yes its dangerous for us too! I figure anything that will kill a bird in a manner of minutes can NOT be good for humans...

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I have this fear too, even though I live in a house. My birds are on one side of the house and the kitchen is on the otherside. My mom uses teflon sometimes so whenever I see her using her pans, I yell at her and try to protect my birds in any way possible(open the windows, shut my door, etc), LOL. You can see why they call us "Bird Crazy People"

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I have this fear too, even though I live in a house. My birds are on one side of the house and the kitchen is on the otherside. My mom uses teflon sometimes so whenever I see her using her pans, I yell at her and try to protect my birds in any way possible(open the windows, shut my door, etc), LOL. You can see why they call us "Bird Crazy People"

Unfortunately I have the same problem, we have a few non stick items. Luckily we have a vent fan above the stove, I'm always telling them to turn it on when they are cooking. Even though you try to tell them, you can't blame them for not understanding sometimes, it just doesn't seem logical to them - "how could this thing that I cook food in everyday, possibly be harmful, let alone kill a bird in the next room?".

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet

Unfortunately I have the same problem, we have a few non stick items. Luckily we have a vent fan above the stove, I'm always telling them to turn it on when they are cooking. Even though you try to tell them, you can't blame them for not understanding sometimes, it just doesn't seem logical to them - "how could this thing that I cook food in everyday, possibly be harmful, let alone kill a bird in the next room?".

I know, right!!! I always make sure my mom turned the vennt fan above the oven on. My dad always jokes around saying he'll have the birds sit on his shoulders while he cooks with teflon:eek: How dare he!!!:mad: Sometimes he even jokes saying he share his avacado guacamole with the birds:mad: He knows it's deathly for them. No matter how many times I tell my parents, no one listens to me LOL. I need to punish my oarents so they can learn the lesson LOL:p

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I have this horrible horrible fear of Teflon and any non-stick surface. I may even begin to have Teflon nightmares lol. I threw away all my non-stick appliances before I brought home Hiroshi.

Tonight I started doing some research on the harm it can cause and it said that even if you live in a building with someone who cooks with Teflon the fumes could still get to your bird! Am I being paranoid here?

I live in a condo and now I'm really really worried that the evil Teflon monster will sneak in through my vents and hurt Hiroshi:scared01:

I have heard the most horrific stories pertaining to Teflon, none of us guardian would want to experience anything like that. :(

Browse around there are posts about the dangers of Teflon on this forum.
I am going to do a bit of investigating, as I live in an apartment, there are 18 apartments ??????????

About you being partially normal, do we have to answer that? :eek: LoL

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Yea its amazing how difficult it is to get the message across. Having studied design and manufacture, you learn really quickly about all the hidden nasties that are found in everyday products. Unfortunately its just the way of modern consumption... having no idea where the things come from or what they are made of - as long as they work:rolleyes:. Oh well, at least WE know about the dangers of non-stick cookware and can protect our little friends.

Last edited:

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yea its amazing how difficult it is to get the message across. Having studied design and manufacture, you learn really quickly about all the hidden nasties that are found in everyday products. Unfortunately its just the way of modern consumption... having no idea where the things come from or what they are made of - as long as they work:rolleyes:. Oh well, at least WE know about the dangers of non-stick cookware and can protect our little friends.

word, homie, LOL

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I have this horrible horrible fear of Teflon and any non-stick surface. I may even begin to have Teflon nightmares lol. I threw away all my non-stick appliances before I brought home Hiroshi.

Tonight I started doing some research on the harm it can cause and it said that even if you live in a building with someone who cooks with Teflon the fumes could still get to your bird! Am I being paranoid here?

I live in a condo and now I'm really really worried that the evil Teflon monster will sneak in through my vents and hurt Hiroshi:scared01:

I have heard the most horrific stories pertaining to Teflon, none of us guardian would want to experience anything like that. :(

Browse around there are posts about the dangers of Teflon on this forum.
I am going to do a bit of investigating, as I live in an apartment, there are 18 apartments ??????????

About you being partially normal, do we have to answer that? :eek: LoL

Will report back later ;)

Me too! I experienced one with my crimson belly 2 years ago. This also doesnt help with my paranoia/partial insanity:18_crazy: lol

I think if the home is well ventilated and teflon isn't cooked directly in the apartment(condo in my case) then it should be ok.:rolleyes: I hope:54:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
If people cook in your home and don't believe you that teflon pans can be harmful take one of the pans and hit them over the head with it every time they try to use it.

This should get the point across :D

In response to the initial question I would not worry at all about fumes from other condos in the building.

There are very real dangers to teflon fumes, but most often these are overstated as people only hear the horror stories. The odds of a teflon pan giving off fumes is low - but enough that it's wise to change out teflon cookware in YOUR home. The odds of any such fumes making it from one unit to the next is VERY low. Then when you compound those low probabilities ... basically if you're going to stay up nights worried about your bird, a stray lightning strike is a more realistic danger than fumes from someone else's condo.

Be aware of the dangers of teflon - but in your situation you should have nothing to be concerned about.

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
If people cook in your home and don't believe you that teflon pans can be harmful take one of the pans and hit them over the head with it every time they try to use it.

This should get the point across :D

HAHAHAHA!!! Nice! Thats great advice for anyone who doesn't listen ;)

Also I would like to take Hiroshi with me when I go to my boyfriends and I know his mom cooks with non-stick pans. His bedroom is upstairs and doesn't share any vents with the kitchen. Do you think he would be ok if I kept the room ventilated and kept him out of the kitchen?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Ventilation will really help, as will keeping him away from the kitchen. But the most important thing is to see that the teflon cookware is used properly. If it's used properly there should be no danger whatsoever.

The danger from teflon comes when it is "overheated" and this only happens when it is heated dry (or when the whole kitchen is on fire). This is a realistic concern with George Forman style grills, pancake griddles, and waffle irons, but this is not generally a concern with frying pans.

If there is anything in the pan and it isn't on fire then the pan isn't hot enough to release the dangerous fumes. Cooking oil will burst into flames at lower temperatures than the teflon will break down.

The real danger from teflon (in addition to the griddle type items) is generally when someone 'forgets' about something cooking and a pan of water cooks to dry and then overheats.

So, in short: ventilation is good, isolation is good, but responsible cooking and a bit of knowledge will prevent any problem.

You may not be able to convince someone to throw away their teflon pans when you visit, but you may be able to talk to them about how to use them safely.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I still like the hitting over the head idea :p

Seriously though our world is so poluted, just control what you can in your own home or you'll go mad with worry.

If you want to educate ppl in your building maybe make a pamphlet on the dangers of teflon and stick it in thier letterboxes - keep to the facts and keep it simple. I hate the stuff and would like to see it out of our homes!!

Not meaning to add to the fear but this is why I hate it:
Teflon

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I still like the hitting over the head idea :p

Seriously though our world is so poluted, just control what you can in your own home or you'll go mad with worry.

If you want to educate ppl in your building maybe make a pamphlet on the dangers of teflon and stick it in thier letterboxes - keep to the facts and keep it simple. I hate the stuff and would like to see it out of our homes!!

Not meaning to add to the fear but this is why I hate it:
Teflon

I really like the pamphlet idea! I should do that:cool: Even if people don't listen it might ease my mind a bit that I did something about it.

and if all else fails I'll go door to door with a frying pan;) lol

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels

I know, right!!! I always make sure my mom turned the vennt fan above the oven on. My dad always jokes around saying he'll have the birds sit on his shoulders while he cooks with teflon:eek: How dare he!!!:mad: Sometimes he even jokes saying he share his avacado guacamole with the birds:mad: He knows it's deathly for them. No matter how many times I tell my parents, no one listens to me LOL. I need to punish my oarents so they can learn the lesson LOL:p

Oh my, how hilarious is that!!! I'm having the exact same issue over here!! Saved me the trouble of making my own thread.

Whenever my mom (or myself) cooks with Teflon, I try to open a window, turn on the microwave's fan, and cover the birds at the same time.:D

And I even come storming down the stairs if I'm upstairs, just because I heard the pans clanking around. So then the crazy bird girl comes rushing in the room carrying a bedsheet, and covers the birds. Mom just shakes her head... LOL

My mom says that I'm overprotective, and that 'people have been cooking with nonstick cookware around birds for ages, and I've never heard any fatalities'. :rolleyes:

I don't know how to convince her otherwise...

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet

Oh my, how hilarious is that!!! I'm having the exact same issue over here!! Saved me the trouble of making my own thread.

Whenever my mom (or myself) cooks with Teflon, I try to open a window, turn on the microwave's fan, and cover the birds at the same time.:D

And I even come storming down the stairs if I'm upstairs, just because I heard the pans clanking around. So then the crazy bird girl comes rushing in the room carrying a bedsheet, and covers the birds. Mom just shakes her head... LOL

My mom says that I'm overprotective, and that 'people have been cooking with nonstick cookware around birds for ages, and I've never heard any fatalities'. :rolleyes:

I don't know how to convince her otherwise...

Oh my gosh!!!! Finally, someone who understands me! Whenever the pots are clanging, I run into the kitchen to make sure it's not teflon. My sister makes a habit of now saying, "Here comes the bird freak!" I need to hit them all with those pans.
If only there was an easy way to convince them :confused:

Most Reactions

Latest posts