Teflon...

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I know, right!!! I always make sure my mom turned the vennt fan above the oven on. My dad always jokes around saying he'll have the birds sit on his shoulders while he cooks with teflon:eek: How dare he!!!:mad: Sometimes he even jokes saying he share his avacado guacamole with the birds:mad: He knows it's deathly for them. No matter how many times I tell my parents, no one listens to me LOL. I need to punish my oarents so they can learn the lesson LOL:p

Oh my, how hilarious is that!!! I'm having the exact same issue over here!! Saved me the trouble of making my own thread.

Whenever my mom (or myself) cooks with Teflon, I try to open a window, turn on the microwave's fan, and cover the birds at the same time.:D

And I even come storming down the stairs if I'm upstairs, just because I heard the pans clanking around. So then the crazy bird girl comes rushing in the room carrying a bedsheet, and covers the birds. Mom just shakes her head... LOL

My mom says that I'm overprotective, and that 'people have been cooking with nonstick cookware around birds for ages, and I've never heard any fatalities'. :rolleyes:

I don't know how to convince her otherwise...

Oh my gosh!!!! Finally, someone who understands me! Whenever the pots are clanging, I run into the kitchen to make sure it's not teflon. My sister makes a habit of now saying, "Here comes the bird freak!" I need to hit them all with those pans.
If only there was an easy way to convince them :confused:

Its nice to know this is a universal problem...or is it :smile033:. Yep, your right, 'frypan bashin' is the only way to get the message across;)

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
OH AD WHAT HAVE YOU CREATED????

It a Frying Pan Parrot Militia :22_yikes:

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

Attachments

• FPPM.jpg
    FPPM.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
When I was a kid my sister got a cockateil. The family chose to keep the bird in the kitchen (and we used teflon and everything else).

Decades later when commenting to my dad about how keeping a bird near the kitchen is a horrible idea he reminded me that we kept Tebriel (the cockateil) in our kitchen when I was growing up. I responded "Yes, but she only lived a couple years - do you remember what she died of?" To which my father responded "Oh, some respiratory problem". Yet he still thought keeping birds in the kitchen was safe and would claim he never knew of a bird that died from such things.

I love my father - but he is a complete moron. I don't know how some people can see the facts staring them in the face, yet not accept them.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
When I was a kid my sister got a cockateil. The family chose to keep the bird in the kitchen (and we used teflon and everything else).

Decades later when commenting to my dad about how keeping a bird near the kitchen is a horrible idea he reminded me that we kept Tebriel (the cockateil) in our kitchen when I was growing up. I responded "Yes, but she only lived a couple years - do you remember what she died of?" To which my father responded "Oh, some respiratory problem". Yet he still thought keeping birds in the kitchen was safe and would claim he never knew of a bird that died from such things.

I love my father - but he is a complete moron. I don't know how some people can see the facts staring them in the face, yet not accept them.

Oh my gosh, I have that same EXACT problem with my sister!

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC

Some people are VERY set in their ways and there is no convincing them otherwise...unfortunately.

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Well tomorrow I am going to my boyfriends house and I have to bring Hiroshi with me. His mom cooks with non-stick in the kitchen.

Hiroshi will be upstairs (kitchen is downstairs) in a well ventilated room that does NOT share any vents with the kitchen. The stove fans will be on.

I'm still nervous about this. Does anyone else have parents/friends/etc. that cook with teflon or non-stick in the same house as long as their birds are in another room completely???

Most Reactions

Latest posts