Tell me about your Rosies/Galahs!!!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Galahs are awesome :heart: I LOVE Rosie so much! A lot has already been said about them, and I feel the people with younger birds can give more realistic expectations for someone planning to buy a weaned baby. Galahs are beautiful, soft, and are very social. They bond well with more than one person.

No one can handle Rosie like me, but people can still hold her(as long as she's stepping off of my hand, or doesn't like where she is) and if they're careful they can pet her. I do have to warn people that she might bite and to pet her at their own risk lol. Occasionally she'll meet a random person she LOVES, she'll step up perfect and dance for them.

And they're BEAUTIFUL! Whenever I take Rosie out and about people are always stopping me to take her photo and ask about her ("is she a african gray?" LOL). They may not have the rainbow of colors like a scarlet macaw, but they are still gorgeous.

Only downside is you really need to be careful with their diet, and make sure you raise them right so they don't become phobic or neurotic.

tumblr_mu49h8A6AI1rs86coo1_500.jpg

Well, that's interesting, because when I said on a forum that I'd adopted weeros, they didn't know what I was on about. They over east knew them as cockatiels. Maybe it's a Melbourne thing? No matter what you call them, cockies are great birds.

I remember that! I was SO confused! LOL

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Galahs are awesome :heart: I LOVE Rosie so much! A lot has already been said about them, and I feel the people with younger birds can give more realistic expectations for someone planning to buy a weaned baby. Galahs are beautiful, soft, and are very social. They bond well with more than one person.

No one can handle Rosie like me, but people can still hold her(as long as she's stepping off of my hand, or doesn't like where she is) and if they're careful they can pet her. I do have to warn people that she might bite and to pet her at their own risk lol. Occasionally she'll meet a random person she LOVES, she'll step up perfect and dance for them.

And they're BEAUTIFUL! Whenever I take Rosie out and about people are always stopping me to take her photo and ask about her ("is she a african gray?" LOL). They may not have the rainbow of colors like a scarlet macaw, but they are still gorgeous.

Only downside is you really need to be careful with their diet, and make sure you raise them right so they don't become phobic or neurotic.

tumblr_mu49h8A6AI1rs86coo1_500.jpg

Well, that's interesting, because when I said on a forum that I'd adopted weeros, they didn't know what I was on about. They over east knew them as cockatiels. Maybe it's a Melbourne thing? No matter what you call them, cockies are great birds.

I remember that! I was SO confused! LOL

Weiro/weero is the WA name, elsewhere cockatiel although commonly known as quarrion in Sth Qld and through NSW. Comes from the aboriginal dialect/language in different parts of the country although I believe cockatiel is a corruption of a Portuguese word.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Well, but galahs are cockies. I have trouble getting my mind around the word ''too' for 'cockatoo' instead of 'cocky'. It just doesn't sound right. Why would you call it a 'too when it's a cocky? And why would you say ''tiel' instead of 'weero' or 'quarrion'? AFAIK, no-one in Australia calls them 'cockatiels' except authors of bird books. I'm not sure what Corellas are called overseas, ('Bare-eyed Cockatoo'?), but wouldn't you think the birds' names would have gone with them when they were first exported from Oz? I'd love to know who the bright spark was that coined 'Rose-breasted Cockatoo' for 'Galah'! LOLOLOL! What a mouthful!

Yeah, I prefer cocky to "too". There are enough toos/tos/twos in English already:) Although a "cocky" can also be a grazier, as in "cow cocky".

I much prefer weero or quarrion to 'tiel, but Americans and others wouldn't know what we're talking about, and even Easternr Ozzers don't know what weero refers to.

I agree that some of the adopted/alternate names for our parrots/cockies are pretty dumb. "rose-breasted cockatoo" for galah and "pink cockatoo" for MMC and "bare-eyed cockatoo" for the various corellas are as boring as it can get. I had Splendid Parrots for a while, they're also known as Scarlet-Breasted Parrots... eccchhh:) Although I always managed to get them confused with the Superb Parrot which is completely different genus and often called Barraband even over here in WA where they're not endemic.

I must admit to some confusion over the "Little Corella": what species is the "Big Corella"?

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thanks for the info! deciding is gona be tough lol. even though i use the boring bird names, i like your Australian names better! macaw names definitely lack creativity :rolleyes:

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
omg what beautiful birds , they sell for 1500.00 in Michigan I seen a add from a breeder in kijji this summer that was her price , I was tempted lol but then it was my mbs lol and I got past it

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You mean the long billed cockatoo? ;)

I prefer the "galah" name over "rose breasted cockatoo"... but with how we've abbreviated the various 'too names, G2 stands for goffin cockatoo, where-as RB2 is, obviously, rose breasted cockatoo.

I find it odd that they are called "pink and greys" and not really used to anyone calling an MM2/Leadbeaters a "pink cockatoo".... cause when I think of a "pink 'too", I think of an M2 aka Salmon Crested Cockatoo.

Most Reactions