Temperature!?

Bbowl

Nov 26, 2012
I brought in my 3yo goffins in June. He sleeps in my walkin closet in a seperate smaller cage.

It is now starting to get cold. My bedroom is the far end of the house as well and drops to low 60s at night now with the central air set at 68.

His closet sometimes feels even chillier I haven't measured. What I started doing was putting a space heater facing the closet door to help since in such a small area I don't want it inside.

Well it's not working well enough. It's pretty cold in there still. My question is, is there any issues with a space heater inside such a small area with him. Really dry air? I don't know. I have had the heater in there all day and have been checking the temp, it holds it at 70 ok, I'm not super worried about it overheating.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Birds, if allowed, can adjust to a wide range of temperatures.

What about having him out in the rest of the house where it's not so cold?

OP
B

Bbowl

Nov 26, 2012
I'm trying to give him undisturbed sleep. He's in there cause its dark and quiet.

So then I guess the first question is, is low 60s ok. When I open the door he'll be puffed up and normally still on 1 foot, no shaking/vibrating.

Another issue I though of with the little space heater might be some weird fumes from the element.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What I don't understand is why couldn't he sleep in the living room or another room? They don't need total darkness to sleep. Yes birds can learn to adjust in different temperatures, but not drastically or suddenly. They also can not tolerate drafts. I would watch the use of the space heater in a small area like that, I would suggest in bringing him back into the open space to sleep. We keep the heater at 65 here cause we can not sleep if the temperature is any higher. We keep the AC at 67 during the summer. We've been doing this for years and we don't have any issues. But my birds don't sleep in a drafty closet either.....

OP
B

Bbowl

Nov 26, 2012
Well it's by no means drafty. It's a walkin closet haha.

The issue is first we don't go to bed till around 12am and there is commotion out there as early as 4am. Second, the first hint of daylight he sees and if he is alone he will start squawking for me.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Why don't you just leave the doors open to the closet while he's inside but cover up his cage instead?

OP
B

Bbowl

Nov 26, 2012
That was a thought but it gets really light inside my room as well. One blanket isn't enough he's squawking by 6am. you really have to cover it up + my room temp is low as well not much benefit. I figured its better for him tonot being covered up like that as well. Fresh air etc.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My birds have done fine in temps into the low 50's and up to high 80's or low 90's. When it's extremely warm, I leave the windows open (even at night - so there will be air movements!) and add ice to their water. When it's cold, I leave the windows closed, and if need be, bring in a heater to add warmth.

I don't cover their cages, though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts