Tessa and Some CAG Questions?

CorpsmanWife0

Nov 4, 2012
Clifton Springs, NY
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Tessa, 4 y/o
Hello there,
For all of you who didn't read my last two posts, I will give a small background. Tessa is a 4 year old CAG who I adopted from my uncle's 75 y/o mother. She wouldn't handle Tessa and since her husband works full time, Tessa only got about 20 mins, 3 times a week out of her cage. So I brought Tessa home Saturday and set up her cage and kind of let her be alone to adjust. I just sat next to her cage and talked but didn't get right up in her face as I didn't want to overwhelm her. Yesterday I opened her cage door and just went about my day not trying to invade her space but feeding her treats and seeing if she would come out on her own. Well today she came out and climbed on top of her cage on her playstand. But refused to step up to come down and wouldn't even step up for a familiar perch. I've read tons of material that said not to force your parrot to do anything she doesn't want to because she might build resentment toward you. So my questions is what do I do. Do I leave her on her playstand all night? There aren't any animals that could harm her around and her food and water is up there, I even have a few toys strung from the ceiling she is playing with. Is it okay to leave her out or should I force her in her cage? She gets puffy when I ask her to step up with my hand close but if I stand near her she is fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:grey:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If she doesn't roam and there's nothing to harm her, then yes, it would be safe to allow her to remain out. Although, there is a concern about something in the middle of the night possibly scaring her and she could try taking off.

However, if you really need to get her back in, keep food and water inside the cage. If need be, dim the lights and see what you can do to get her back in. I've heard some people removing their birds food for a couple of hours and letting the birds out. When they want the birds back in the cages, they offer the food again.

OP
C

CorpsmanWife0

Nov 4, 2012
Clifton Springs, NY
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Tessa, 4 y/o
Well I let her spend the night on top her playstand and she was fine, just calling out to me when the sun came up. She is still weary of me and still not wanting to be inside her cage she spent all day on top of the playstand. She is in my room ( where I spend 99% of my time ) with the door closed. So she is safe. I put both her food and water in her cage and tried to bribe her to step up, but she refused. She went like 8 hours with no food or water on top of her cage.I don't want her to be dehydrated. I'm unsure if she knows how to climb down from her playstand because of the minimal amount of time outside of the cage. Idk I just want to do what is best for her without making her hate me.

Most Reactions