That time of the... Year?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I tried not to laugh...

Ya know, when I first discovered the 'mess', I actually thought we had a mouse in the house and I freaked out something fierce. WHAT kind of super mouse does THAT kind of damage literally overnight? :32: Much, MUCH later did I realize it was the 'caged' mouse next to the tree that someone forgot to lock into her cage properly the day before (no...it wasn't me). :54:

He thought it was for him LOL Very funny pictures.

Mark I want to see the nest when you can take a pic. LOL Flip Flop bandits

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

He thought it was for him LOL Very funny pictures.

Mark I want to see the nest when you can take a pic. LOL Flip Flop bandits[/QUOTE]

The smaller birdroom looks destroyed at the moment.

Lila gets absolutely FIERCE about flip flops for some reason. When I realized she liked them, I had two pairs of old flip flops in my closet, and I gave them to her.

Well, they looked like they were completely destroyed, nothing left but a little fabric, right?! So I go to pick it up and throw them away, and she tries to chase me out of the bird room. (Which is twice as amusing because this little bird absolutely will not, for any reason bite anyone, ever. So she runs after you and just stands there on your foot when she catches you, looking at you with a cross between "what do I do now" and "give that back it's mine!")

So, then I messed with her some. I would pick one up, and take it out of the bird room and she'd waddle along after me full speed ahead. I'd hide it. She'd go dig it out, and drag it back into the little bird room...

It was actually quite amusing.

And then I'd go back to get it, and she'd be hiding under a cage with a pile of flip flops, and flip flop chewed up mess... standing guard protecting her stash!

So, needless to say, tearing apart "the nest" would not go over big...

It's gonna happen this weekend, but she will NOT be pleased!

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
The last two days I've been looking at videos of Amazons making mating sounds because Buddy will get on my shoulder and start making strange sounds, flattening himself, pressing his head agains mind while he "gurgles" AND at times he'll put one foot on my head even grabbing my mouth with his foot. He's been a tumor on my shoulder if I let him but after Kiwibird talked about having him spend alone time, he'll go in his cage and he'll scream if I leave but he calms down and goes to sleep. In some of the videos I've seen, the male bird puts his foot on the females back. The sounds are not the same gurgling sounds Buddy makes. Do all amazons go into season at the same team?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla is supposedly 28 but a lot of this stuff sounds like maybe she is getting hormonal!!! I was chocking it up to her just opening up to me more, bonding with me more and feeling better!

Just about 3 days ago she started making this ear piercing scream if I walk away, or stay away longer than she wants me to. She has also started going to the bottom of her cage and tearing up the papers (she's never done that before) She rubs her head and beak on my face and hands whenever she can. And she still doesn't hurt me when she beaks my hands, but she sure does sound a lot meaner and more "growly" She's also doing this "whiny" sound a lot. I mean a LOT (a very annoying sound) at first I thought she was hurt or sick, but it seems to be just a sound she is enjoying making now!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Mark, my Hunter's 'got it so bad' at the moment, the minute she hears my voice she starts making the 'clucking' sounds, and finds a nearby perch to do you know what. :11: I re-arranged her cage, trying to make 'things' harder for her, but that didn't quite work out.

Bad thing is that my Sam has learnt to imitate "THE" noise, so now it sounds like I've got 2 uber broody Amazons. :32:

OMG Wendy! The things going on in your house right now:eek:. I started laughing then choking:32:

Poor Sam is going to be so confused when he hits puberty. The combination of a 'amorous' male physically and sounds of a broody female- :22_yikes:! Until we got Kiwi, I did not understand the difference between how female birds 'responds' to hormones (as Lucy had) and how males:52: The first male display I witnessed out of Kiwi, I was beyond mortified for him:smile004:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Oh yeah Bosley was a terror last night and our little brown head has had droopy wings the last 3 mornings in a row. It is early this year.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Got ay pics of the flip flop stash?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Wow - Zon things sure are strange at my house.
This morning Whisper was strutting across the floor of his cage. I would have sworn he was trying to lay an egg. If it hadn't been so loud it would have been comical but Patches was doing his own thing in the cage above Whisper.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, I was watching the interaction a bit more closely and that is EXACTLY what Sally was doing...

The only time she shows any interest in HER cage is if another bird has (a) moved in (i.e. the lost CAG) or appears to have designs on it...

At one point last night, Tusk and Lila waddled off to play in their "nest" under her cage. She climbed down and stood in the doorway and watched them. "You can play UNDER my cage, but no one is climbing ON my cage."

:D Yep! That time of year...

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Well, this would explain things with Sassy! She hasn't bit me in the past 7 months and in the past week has bit me twice and broke the skin. I chalked it up to being my fault...but maybe not:21:. Both times she bit me and then started saying "I love you, I love you..." The first time I was cleaning around Peanuts cage and the second time I was cleaning around Cisco's cage...so maybe jealous?? A couple days ago she was making a different sound than usual...a higher pitched sound that I have never heard her make before. And she has been more "growly" too. So then what, I have THREE hormonal birds at the same time...REALLY??:32: LOL

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark, my Hunter's 'got it so bad' at the moment, the minute she hears my voice she starts making the 'clucking' sounds, and finds a nearby perch to do you know what. :11: I re-arranged her cage, trying to make 'things' harder for her, but that didn't quite work out.

Bad thing is that my Sam has learnt to imitate "THE" noise, so now it sounds like I've got 2 uber broody Amazons. :32:

OMG Wendy! The things going on in your house right now:eek:. I started laughing then choking:32:

Poor Sam is going to be so confused when he hits puberty. The combination of a 'amorous' male physically and sounds of a broody female- :22_yikes:! Until we got Kiwi, I did not understand the difference between how female birds 'responds' to hormones (as Lucy had) and how males:52: The first male display I witnessed out of Kiwi, I was beyond mortified for him:smile004:

Oh yeah, HUGE difference between male and female amazons at breeding time. I've had both (which made life interesting to say the least) but I prefer females. I only fostered the males. All of my "keepers" were females.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The last two days I've been looking at videos of Amazons making mating sounds because Buddy will get on my shoulder and start making strange sounds, flattening himself, pressing his head agains mind while he "gurgles" AND at times he'll put one foot on my head even grabbing my mouth with his foot. He's been a tumor on my shoulder if I let him but after Kiwibird talked about having him spend alone time, he'll go in his cage and he'll scream if I leave but he calms down and goes to sleep. In some of the videos I've seen, the male bird puts his foot on the females back. The sounds are not the same gurgling sounds Buddy makes. Do all amazons go into season at the same team?

Generally in and around the same time, BUT how long it lasts, and how drastic the moodswings generally tend to depend on the species...

The hot 3 got their reputations because they have the longest breeding season at 4-6 months, and generally tend to have the largest mood swings!

Pecker, my BFA, who was a velcro bird to begin with, only became more affectionate during breeding season, which of course, triggered the jealousy bit in Sally...

The result in my house wasn't aggression, it was a pair of velcro amazon ear muffs... for about six weeks a year.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It seems to me that Sally usually waited until after Christmas and New Years to start this stuff, like mid-January-ish... but I think Tusk and Lila building that nest under her cage triggered something this year. She's more territorial than usual.

It's just different this year...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Oh yeah, HUGE difference between male and female amazons at breeding time. I've had both (which made life interesting to say the least) but I prefer females. I only fostered the males. All of my "keepers" were females.

Once we met Kiwi, there was no way we weren't going to take him regardless of his gender, but I also *prefer* females behaviorally. He can be so aggressive during breeding season and I know he can't help it, but it's really irritating at times. At least he doesn't do the full-on humping, flashing, grunting mating displays anymore:52: I'm not sure if that stopped because he's getting older or because we just turned our backs and COMPLETELY ignored that behavior, but he hasn't done it in a few years now.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It seems to me that Sally usually waited until after Christmas and New Years to start this stuff, like mid-January-ish... but I think Tusk and Lila building that nest under her cage triggered something this year. She's more territorial than usual.

Any chance Sally has a crush on Tusk too? Perhaps his absence when he escaped triggered all this to start early and both your females missed him and want to "nest" with him now lol?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Any chance Sally has a crush on Tusk too? Perhaps his absence when he escaped triggered all this to start early and both your females missed him and want to "nest" with him now lol?

Nope. If anything, she has a crush on ME!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Nope. If anything, she has a crush on ME!

Maybe she's patiently waiting for you to build a nest for her then:54:

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Once we met Kiwi, there was no way we weren't going to take him regardless of his gender, but I also *prefer* females behaviorally. He can be so aggressive during breeding season and I know he can't help it, but it's really irritating at times. At least he doesn't do the full-on humping, flashing, grunting mating displays anymore:52: I'm not sure if that stopped because he's getting older or because we just turned our backs and COMPLETELY ignored that behavior, but he hasn't done it in a few years now.

That stuff usually only happens the first few years, and then they adjust...

Think teenage boy habitually locking himself in the bathroom.

They all go through that stage, it's just awkward, and we just don't particularly want to think about it.

Most Reactions