That time of the... Year?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Oh yeah, HUGE difference between male and female amazons at breeding time. I've had both (which made life interesting to say the least) but I prefer females. I only fostered the males. All of my "keepers" were females.

Once we met Kiwi, there was no way we weren't going to take him regardless of his gender, but I also *prefer* females behaviorally. He can be so aggressive during breeding season and I know he can't help it, but it's really irritating at times. At least he doesn't do the full-on humping, flashing, grunting mating displays anymore:52: I'm not sure if that stopped because he's getting older or because we just turned our backs and COMPLETELY ignored that behavior, but he hasn't done it in a few years now.

That stuff usually only happens the first few years, and then they adjust...

Think teenage boy habitually locking himself in the bathroom.

They all go through that stage, it's just awkward, and we just don't particularly want to think about it.

The first 2 years we had him, he was REALLY bad with it. Especially when guests came over. He wanted them to know he was 'available' and just how sexy he was:eek: It was terrible and beyond ignoring, we didn't know what to do to discourage it without punishing because it is totally natural. He was about 10 when we adopted him, so probably at the height of his hormonal behaviors and not yet aware he was not top bird in our home. The past 3 years he's been much more subdued, just more aggressive than normal (I can handle a aggressive bird better than an amorous one!).

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pecker just launched herself to my shoulder, did her little tail flair dance, and scream number, and then stuck her head in my eye socket... and refused to go down the rest of the night...

Sally does a mating call dance as well. One would trigger the other. And that's why I ended up with amazon ear muffs during breeding season.

Lila is wild caught, and just has zero interest in humans this time of year. Her intentions are focused on Tusk. Who puts up with it, for the most part. And occasionally backs her off when she becomes too annoying...

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Wow the holidays now have a new spin, lol! I love the Amazon ear muffs, that is hilarious. This morning Buddy came right out of his cage, on my shoulder and started gurgling and clucking, spreading his body flat, ramming his head under my chin, later grabbing my lip with his foot. I keep asking him if he needs alone time. He just gurgles louder, lol.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow the holidays now have a new spin, lol! I love the Amazon ear muffs, that is hilarious. This morning Buddy came right out of his cage, on my shoulder and started gurgling and clucking, spreading his body flat, ramming his head under my chin, later grabbing my lip with his foot. I keep asking him if he needs alone time. He just gurgles louder, lol.

O dear. Sounds like Buddy is feeling hormonal, and you're the lucky lady in his life! Your hubby better watch out, as a "one person" bird is liable to attack anyone but their one favored human.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I wish I still had my pictures. I had a good one of Pecker stuffing her head in my eye socket, while Sally, not to be outdone, had her head curled into a ball and stuck under my chin...

What you didn't do EVER is walk up to me and try to pick one up off my shoulder during breeding season! More than usual, they were not having any of that...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

You are definitely being courted right now... !!!

Most Reactions