The baby t-rex noise?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
It sounds like she needs to get used to the presence of people before physically interacting with them. Have you tried letting people win her over gradually with treats and soft voices and being around her before asking her to step up? How often are these other people around here?

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Yes when they make those noises they are trying to scare away what they perceive as threats. Does she also get puffy and try to make herself look big?

I think you will know when she is approaching her first molt as it will start snowing in your house. They seem to drop alot of fluffballs first. Jasper did that but it has slowed down alot. He has lost a few feathers so far but I haven't found any in a while. He's 9 mos. old.

I have been trying to take Jasper with me when I go places but he still does not like people he doesn't know very well. A friend of mine came over last night and Jasper stepped up for him but wouldn't allow any touching. I have read it is best to expose them to many new things when they are still young. I will be living in a house with two other people starting next week and he will be getting alot more exposure to other people so I hope he gets more comfortable with meeting new people at least. I second what Pookamama said about the other people in the house calmly trying to win her over. She may not favor them but it would nice if they could take care of her without her being like that in case they needed to.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
Who is the primary care giver? Your husband might want to take over the majority of the care for the next couple of months. Also, does the sex of the "stranger" matter? Some Greys have a preference regarding the sex of the handler. Does Echo come out by himself, or do you have to take him out?

In our household, my wife, Margaret does the care in the morning when I'm at work. Babu, who is mainly my bird, will growl. Margaret will tell him to "Step-up," and then when he's on her hand will tell him "Settle" if he continues to growl. That usually settles him down.

I'm not sure exactly when the first molt occurs. Paddywack (RIP) used to get cranky when he went through his major molt, especially the first few days. Once the pin-feathers broke through and grew a bit, he'd let us gently roll the feather between our fingers to break the sheath. He'd only let Margaret handle him the first few days during his molt.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Now is a perfect time for you to take up yoga and meditation. :)
Perhaps this bird is in your life to teach you to slow down a bit, take a deep breath and be at peace. 2 months is not a very long time what so ever :) I know you are impatient for results, but things like this take a long time especially for the larger sensitive parrots. And how you react is going to determine where your bird goes with this behaviour.

The biggest mistake people make with training/raising animals is not being patient or consistent. Or reacting to behaviours or situations in a way that forms or ingrains a behaviour. They may not even know they are doing it. But birds watch everything. They feel your frustration as well. A frustrated encounter for example can cause a huge set back that will cause the whole process to lengthen significantly.

So, it looks like you and hubby have the right idea and others have given you great advice :) My advice will be to always have everyone approach the bird in a calm state and to remain calm no matter what the birds reaction is. I've been training animals for a long time, mostly rehabilitating problem animals. I can not emphasize this enough... always remain calm no matter what is happening. Have a plan and stick to it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts