Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
She's looking good Red. Sometimes it can take so long. Pepsi still hates being out of her cage but is finally not freaking out when I touch her and its only taken over a year.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
After Kris' visit, I decided I needed to step things up.
I have a lot of quiet time when I am on the machine, so we took the chance of losing an ear or an eye, and I made her sit with me for a while. She didnt run off, she didnt get nasty, but sat quietly for about an hour. I offered her my hand a few times but it freaked her out, so we just sat around.
Various021.jpg

Various024.jpg

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I got this message on my you tube site.

Hi
Im Patty from the US- been watching your birds since you started posting. I just adore the Professor. I just watched your video of Blocker and I had a thought. (yes thats rare! >grin<). You probably know most of this but just in case I had a unique discovery regarding Galahs....

I know each case is different but I thought I'd pass on my experience - might help. I have a 20 year old Galah who came to me at age 10 from rescue. She was a lifelong plucker and came to me with virtually no breast or back feathers. She would scream and jump from her perch in fear just like Blocker would when certain objects frightened her.
In short I discovered that plenty of shreddables like parrot pinatas, and paper worked better than anything else at keeping her beak busy. She also liked to wrap herself in terry cloth and would preen the loops of the towels. I suspect the wrapping herself in a towel also gave her a sense of security. I started hanging small towels in her cage for her to wrap herself.
The phobic behaviour - try laying out a sheet with a bunch of toys and the stick a little further off. As she plays if she goes near the stick praiser her and or give her a treat. May take time but it usually works. Or hold the stick at a distance that is comfortable to her and talk to her camly. Each time you approach try moving the stick closer and closer using lavish praise. Eventually you should be able to bring the stick right to her without her being frightened.
Last suggestion You appear to be a tall fellow, that can frighten her too. When I started approaching my bird from below her eye level and staying down as I talked to her it seemed to calm her.
It took about a year, but finally success! Angel is 20 now and no longer plucks and rarely exhibits any kind of phobic behaviour.
If you knew all of this - sorry for the long winded lecture! If not I hope something Ive offered helps Blocker along a little.
Good Luck and keep those videos coming!
Patty

What a nice lady to take the time to send me that message.
Not sure what we can take from it as she refuses to play at all.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I put her on a table full of toys and towels, but she didnt move all day. I left a bowl of food on the table, but she didnt eat. I taped her for 2 hours but its may as well be a photo, coz the is no movement from her. I posted the last 90 seconds.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FuYtzZ0sE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FuYtzZ0sE[/ame]
I fed her some pecans and she ate the ones close to her on the table, but would not go to the other side of the table to get more. If I put one within a foot of her, she will will hold it and eat it, but she will not travel 2 feet for one.
Nothing traumatic has happened in the 6 months we have had her, so its past fears that are haunting her. I will just keep doing what has worked in the past and wait for a breakthough. We are on no time table, so she can come around when she is ready.

Last edited:
OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Blocker006.jpg

Blocker026.jpg
Blocker010.jpg

I forced her out into the sun for a while.
No real progress.
Still sad all the time.
Wants her Mum.
Sad, angry, bitey.
Nothing more to report.

Last edited:

Most Reactions