Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Great story!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That is super cool---makes me feel like I should have been doing more with my time lol.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I like trees too! I have planted 8 native trees in my backyard. I can possibly plant 2 more. :)!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
This reminded me another a bit simillar story. Previous week I watched a documentary film about well-known photographer. He was growing up in Brazil, in a rainforest but left his country. He came back to the familly (which still was living in the same place) after many years (I don't remember exactly how many). Then there was no forest and local climate was other than before. There was a big problem of drought. In the past crops were plentiful, a lot of birds but after his coming back - no crops and not many birds. Somebody had an idea to plant a tree but another person understood it as "plant a forest". This way the familly started to plant many trees. Effects were definitly visible - forest was growing, birds came back etc. They didn't stop doing this - still were palnting new trees. Now this isn't "private" forest but national park:)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This reminded me another a bit simillar story. Previous week I watched a documentary film about well-known photographer. He was growing up in Brazil, in a rainforest but left his country. He came back to the familly (which still was living in the same place) after many years (I don't remember exactly how many). Then there was no forest and local climate was other than before. There was a big problem of drought. In the past crops were plentiful, a lot of birds but after his coming back - no crops and not many birds. Somebody had an idea to plant a tree but another person understood it as "plant a forest". This way the familly started to plant many trees. Effects were definitly visible - forest was growing, birds came back etc. They didn't stop doing this - still were palnting new trees. Now this isn't "private" forest but national park:)

We should all be so inspired! What if we all planted one native tree, what a difference it would make :) :) :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Long story short. We live in a development that name implies Oak Trees and of course there is not a single Oak. On the first Arbor Day after we moved in, I came home with a tiny Oak tree. Now, five years later, there is a total of five.
FYI: The HOA forbid such activities as it 'may' complicate grass cutting in this planned community.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't know if recently that's a bit common here or just coincidence but I saw an information about plan of planting few thousands new trees in two (?) places of our capital city. Also, a week ago somebody planted 5 trees in our backyard. I think this is more a coincidance but...

I also observed how trees can change avifauna (and general fauna of course but I live in a town, wild mammals are observed mainly in countryside). For example: here in Poland one of the most common bird species are magpies. But exactly in this place where is my home we have no magpies. I don't mean all the town but my estate. I've observed them here few times but so rarely, the last time was few years ago - then it was a pair which made a nest next to our block. My friend who doesn't really travell and don't know birds seeing a magpie asked "What's the bird?". I think normally she wouldn't do this but this bird probably was "other" for her.
I used to go to high school in the suburban area. I was walking about 20 minutes - so this wasn't far from my home but there were more trees and sometimes (not always but often) were seen magpies which don't live next to us. The same with some other parts of my town - in the city centre none, but surbean parts yes, there are magpies. I am able to give other examples of common bird species which aren't seen here at all but this is the most common of them and somebody from other city could be suprise why they aren't here

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would love to a see a picture of your oaks!!!! Unless that falls under evidence,? Lol

"also observed how trees can change avifauna (and general fauna of course but I live in a town," yes Rozalka, it can have a huge impact on birds!!!! They have something to eat, a place to live!!! Native trees and the insects they support are a building blocks for life.

Some of the best most beautiful and bird helping small trees or bushes I can suggest

Serviceberry (Amelanchier species)
Arrowwood ( Viburnum species)
Alternative leaf dogwood (Cornus alternifolia)
Dogwood ( no Asian crosses)(Cornus florida)
Red buckeye ( hummingbird)( Aesculus pavia)
Crabapple small fruit , supports over 400 moth and butterflies as well as numerous bird species
Cranberry bush ( Viburnum trilobum )!
Northern bayberry (pensylvanica)
Black or red chokecherry (Prunus virginiana)
American plum( Prunus americana)

A great place to get natives is Mail Order Natives!!! I've ordered from them for several years always healthy and good sized trees, shrubs and plants. https://www.mailordernatives.com/

A great plant data base!!! Tells you about the species and wildlife and butterfly use. https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=amar3

Last edited:

Most Reactions