TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I personally think that the Pi is a very underrated parrot ... they are great birds! I would love to hear stories from their owners ...

BirdsRMyLife

Sep 20, 2009
Parrots
CAG, WC Pionus, WB Caique and Red Rump Grasskeet and coming soon Goffin Cockatoo.
I have a WC Pionus and I used to have a blue head Pionus but he passed away after 17yrs with me from a rare blood disorder. Jazz my WC Pi is wonderful! She is 5mos old and DNA'ed female. Shes such a smart girl, she started talking only a week after she arrived here all the way from Ohio. I will always own a Pi, they are awesome birds. Here is a photo of baby Jazz :)

Attachments

• 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 444

Deborah Savage

Oct 30, 2009
Hello Deanna. I am new to forums in general and only signed in because I have fallen in love with Pionus parrots, specifically, as I have been researching parrot breeds. I have a bad-tempered, rather elderly Senegal...my first parrot (not counting budgies) and a rescue. I absolutely love him and he dotes on me...it's a real love-fest. But with everyone else...pure, unadulterated nastiness. I would like to add a sweeter bird to my little family (four small dogs, two well-behaved and bird-terrorized cats---the Senegal has certainly taught them manners).
I am looking everywhere for a Pionus--a Blue-headed or a Maximillian. I can't find a single rescue org with any Pionus except one White-capped, the only one I don't find that attractive. I live in new England and I am leary of having a bird shipped...I don't know, it seems like it could really traumatize a bird. But maybe not--what do you think?
You have a Senegal, don't you? What is his/her temperment like? What do you think of the idea of introducing another bird to mine (at a distance, of course)? He is old for a Senagal--a bit over thirty, I was told.

Belle

Dec 11, 2009
I'm new here but I have been researching pi's for a long time. I've never saw one but I keep worrying about the pi smell and the "they are boring birds". Can't fine one in my area but I'm not in a big hurry right now. My other bird was a blue fronted amazon and was hoping for a smaller but active parrot.

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
A Pi smell? I only have one, a bronze-winged 20 year old girl and she doesn't smell. b Does anybody here who owns a pi noticed a particular smell to them? Except for the usual parrot smell, of course.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I've never heard that they have any unusual smell, but I have never had one.

I've also never heard that they were 'boring birds'... though the same qualifier applies.

sift

Jan 1, 2010
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus
I haven't got my pionus yet but I've agreed to take in a 10 year old blue-headed pi. She's arriving in two weeks. I'm also on a waiting list for a white-capped baby that should be ready to go in May or June.

I've always been a fan of the understated, not to mention that the size, characteristic sound levels, and just general sweetness of the pionus are what draw me. I'll be sure to post tons of pictures and stories as soon as my newest family members join the 'zoo'. :)

Most Reactions