The Prince is Home!

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
The Captain is Home!

For those who don't know me- yesterday evening, I adopted a TAG (supposedly). Here is a little bit about him and an update about his first days home! Unfortunately, I won't have any pictures to share until my camera comes back from repairs.

The former owner passed away- leaving her husband, who's in his 70's, care for all 6 of her birds. And now he's mine!

The wife, seemed like she loved her birds very much- I'm surprised she didn't create a will for them. Every bird had their own diaries, which she wrote in almost every single day. I came home with 15 diaries plus another 8 about his mom! Most of the diaries are either falling apart or the writing is illegible but, even so, I've learned a lot! He was previously known as Captain; he's a CAG (yes, the husband was wrong, he's not a TAG) about 15 years old and is banded. He is tame but is territorial to men when around his mate. A few of his favorites are bananas, carrots, grapes and "fingers" (I'm assuming, she meant he was a nibbler). Apparently he knows over 500 words; there is a diary filled with pages and pages of things he knows to say and recognize. I also found out, that his mom, Jewel, was an anniversary present from the husband almost 23 years ago! Looks like I'm going to be doing a LOT of reading for the next few weeks.

When we got home, I left him alone in the bird-room with the cage door open, just in case he wanted to explore a little. Sure enough, he fell in love with the play gyms I made him- particularly the ones with shred able toys and bells.
I almost had a heart-attack last night when he started screaming like crazy! I ran to the room to make sure he was alright and found him on the foraging perch with mashed banana all over his face. Later I figured out, he was actually saying "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yummy, yummy, yummy!" but at first it sounded like a drowning cat. :p
I spent the rest of the evening watching him. He is certainly a clown! I'm also beginning to understand why she calls him Captain!

Anyways, that's it for now. I will be back on, hopefully, soon with pictures!

ETA- One more thing... Does anyone have ideas for names?
Originally I thought Jelani ('mighty' in Swahili) would be the perfect name, but am now thinking perhaps 'captain' or 'banana face' in another language would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
That is really neat that you can read through his life. Personally I would keep his name, if he has had it for 15 years, and knows it, then why change it? The name of a parrot only benefits us, unless the parrot was abused, but from what you say, it sounds like this guy had a loving home.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
How exciting is this!!! Is there alot of difference other than size between a cag & tag? He sounds like a real character. OH yummy,yummy. lol. I agree w/abzeez, i wouldnt change his name. You could always call him cappy once he is used to you. Good luck!

Bongo

Dec 27, 2010
That is so neat, you literally have an owner's manual for him! haha Sounds like a very interesting read.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
That is so cool that you can read about him specifically and his whole life!!

OP
M

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
How exciting is this!!! Is there alot of difference other than size between a cag & tag? He sounds like a real character. OH yummy,yummy. lol. I agree w/abzeez, i wouldnt change his name. You could always call him cappy once he is used to you. Good luck!

Congos are 12-14 inches from beak to tail where as Timnehs are 9-11 inches.
Congos have bright red tail feathers and an all black beak. Timnehs have dull red/maroon colored tail feathers with an ivory colored beak. So, they're quite different.

I spent most of the morning reading the diaries and learned lots of new things! The other African Grey the lady had for sale was Cat! Cat is the TAG, so it seems like the husband mixed the two up boys. He was bought to "replace"Jewel when she passed away and ended up being Captain's buddy. It would have been nice to give them both a home together... Too bad Cat was already gone by the time I got there. Do you think it would be okay to ask Cat's new owner over for a play date?

Captain is super vocal! Anyone get have a vocal parrot on the 2nd day of being home? In my experience, they're usually quite quiet for the first week or so. At 12pm on the dot he says "kibble, pleeeeease!" and starts tapping his beak on the food bowl. When he heard my kitten crying by the door, he said "Ohhhhhh brother!".

Anyways, got to get back to the birdies!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I would definitely have cat over for a play date. If you could be sure she hadnt picked up anything from her new home. Who knows having a relationship w/her might be good, the new owner may find she's not a bird person. Enjoy.

OP
M

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
I would definitely have cat over for a play date. If you could be sure she hadnt picked up anything from her new home. Who knows having a relationship w/her might be good, the new owner may find she's not a bird person. Enjoy.

The husband gave me the girl's phone number. I'm going to give her a call a little bit later and see if she's alright with the play-date idea. I'm hoping she isn't too far away, so that we can make it a regular occasion.

I'm going to ask if she's taken Cat to the vet for a check up, so I don't bring any diseases/parasites into the house.

Captain's going to the vet tomorrow morning.. :)

*cross my fingers* all goes well.

OP
M

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
That is so neat, you literally have an owner's manual for him! haha Sounds like a very interesting read.

That is so cool that you can read about him specifically and his whole life!!

Yes, it really is a blessing to have the diaries! I think I should do the same for the person who will inherit my birds.

OMG he sounds soooo smart!!! You should post videos of him.

Will do!

OP
M

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
What a nice story. How about the name Captian B?

B as in bird? :D

I think I'm going stick with Captain Cookie... or rather Captain Kouki!
We're adopting a baby from Japan next year and where trying to find some names online, when my sister found 'Kouki' (pronounced the same as cookie). According to Behind the Name it means "light" "happiness" "hope" "radiance" and "shine" in Japanese. Only it's a boy's name and our baby is girl...
So, why not give the name to Captain Cookie? That way, his name will have a lovely meaning (not saying that cookies aren't delightful) without changing his name completely. He won't be able to hear the difference and I don't think he can read... :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions