The real story with the bad food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nykkchick

Mar 27, 2011
I am going to try to post this without crying. I have read some stuff on boards with people attacking me and I want the whole story put up. Though you got the copy and paste stuff from me which is true. I saw a few posts on here where people were actually concerned and not being as nasty about me as on other sites. I originally started feeding Harrisons as someone on a bird board suggested it. I had tried everything including numerous tests with Skye to get the feather plucking under control. He was very sick as a young baby and the HPC was helping him get feathers back. I sent photos to Harrisons and they were blown away and offered to do a trial with me food and treats sent from there to see if we could get him fully feathered and I agreed. My friend came over that night and Chloee and Skye were doing tricks and were handed 3 power treats sometime in the afternoon or early evening. I took my friend home and got back home about 1130 and went to bed at midnight. Skye woke me up vomiting up the Harrisons food, and something got stuck in his lungs as he was having issues breathing I immediately went to Midest Exotic Animal hospital which is an hour drive there. When I got in the office I told them about the power pellots and they surpassingly tried to save him. After I saw the reviews on on Yelp about that hospital along with the bad vibes I had when I walked in there I would have tried to find another clinic but time was so limited. He died and I was hysterical. When I got his body back I was asked about a necropsy, I had no more cash on me, I brought 200 and it was about that price. I was not told there was only a 6 hour window where you could do it in. I said I got him a t 5.5 weeks and bottle fed him, and got him through pneumonia and he was fine now he is gone what am I gonna do without him. (I am fighting tears). They would not let me leave I was so distraught. Not even sure how I made it home, but I was on the phone with my friend who tried to keep me somewhat calm so I could make the hour drive home. When I walked in the door the only thing I wanted to do was hold Chloee I knew she would comfort me. She was my snuggle girl, I found her dead on the floor with vomit everywhere. I was in shock, waiting for the nightmare to end so i could wake up and hold my babies that I loved more than I loved anything or anyone. I called my vet when she came in and I was told it was too late to get the necropsy as it is 6 hour window. I have no idea what time Chloee died since I came home to find her dead. I didn't eat or get out of my bed for 4 days other than to feed the other 2 birds that I was greatful didn't get the power treats. I emailed Harrisons and at first when the man called he was very wonderful and sounded like he was fighting tears. Than I got a call from the animal hospital asking to get permission to give the report to Harrisons and I had them read it, and it said exactly what happened about skye ate power treats and vomited and aspirated. I later in the week get an email from Harrisons about CO2 poising and toxins in my house, I got the gas company over and my house was fine. Than I get a nasty email about how I syringe fed my bird and that's how he died, and I was like what are you talking about? I called the vet who would not talk to me, her tech did and read me the new report, I said that isn't the report that was read to me on the phone! That is not what happened. Tech said she would note the report which she didn't. So now I have a report stating that I syringe fed my 9 YEAR OLD MACAW... 9 years old, and aspirated him. I told them that 2 birds died over this food and they didn't care at all. Harrisons food is sold in that office! That vet knew exactly what she did. She made it so I didn't have a case. I have filed a state complaint against her. Today I found the reviews on the site, and someone else had a bird die there as they had no idea what they were doing. I wish I would have seen that report. I have been trying to work with an atty, that said he would help me, (no fees) and I haven't really heard much from him, I have made reports to the FDA and it was forwarded to the TN branch. I was told they would call me, they have not yet. I have the food in the freezer, it is $500 per each test run. So I haven't been able to test it on my own. Harrisons of course said they tested the food on their end and it was perfect. As far as the lotion that was mentioned, that was only used on Skye and blood panels were done all the time and he was fine other than some low white blood vessels and low potassium which was another reason why I had chosen the Harrisons that was bought from a store which was fine. The food that was sent directly from Harrisons is the food that I fed my birds which resulted in their deaths. If anyone wants to know about the past, the haters decided they were going to throw in I was abusing my birds a year and a half ago and called the police on me and called animal control on me and all allegations were dismissed as the vet records and photos were given to the city prosecutor/city attorney. I was proven innocent. I have no problem answering questions. I just wanted to protect other people from going through what I did. They died in Sept. and I still cry every day for them. I miss them so much. It is your choice if you want to feed whatever you want to feed. But I felt that people should know what happened. It's unfortunate the vet changed and falsified the vet report and gave out the one that I did not agree too. But there isn't a whole lot that I can do legally, though I keep trying. It is a shame that I cannot get this food tested as I do not have that kind of money to do a panel of tests on it. 2 birds vomited and aspirated to death from this and the vet set it in motion so I have no say so and Harrisons wins. They were healthy loving amazing birds, other than a feather plucking condition, he was getting his feathers back. I am truly a mess over this. I used to sit on the swing with them in the summer every day so they would get their sun time and I would sing to them, they would nap on my pillow with me. Now they are gone. My heart is so broken. The tears just don't stop. Anyway now you know. So its up to you to do what you will with the information. I do have emails from Harrisons if you want to see them.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I'm so sorry that the loss of your birds involved such traumatic circumstances. I can understand why you'd want to get that off your chest. I hope that you can get over the loss and what happened to you and enjoy your other birds.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I'm so sorry. I don't understand why people were being mean to you. I don't really know what to say but this was truly a tragedy and I hope you never have go through anything so terrible again. In time all wounds heal, and yours will too. Just enjoy your other birds and fill the emptiness in your heart with even more love for the ones you still have.

Good luck and stay strong :60:

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Please have a look....were we all talking about you and your birds here????
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/35629-warning-harrisons-power-treats.html

Yes. I cross post it as a precaution.

Nykkchick, as a lot of us said on the other forum, we are sad for your loss. Rehashing this topic on a different forum from which you originally posted is not helping you deal with your grief or anybody else because this happened months ago. In fact I am surprised that you didn't post all this information there as well. I went over to the other site and you left some details out. No matter. It seems that what happened is an unfortunate isolated case. I do not use Harrisons so I am being objective in what I say. Harrison's does not just make 1 or 2 bags per batch or lot so other people used the same stuff you did without any problems. So, something may have happened other than the food you used because there are no other incidences reported. Anything could have happened between leaving the factory and your receiving it. Because you did not have the testing done, we will never know the cause. You are beating a dead horse because the necropsy was not done to prove your case.

I think Harrisons is a responsible food manufacturer and if their food was tainted, there would be a recall. They have too much to lose because so many parrot owners use their products.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I bought a bag if those at the vets recently and give my bird a little every day with no problem. They're fresh I've eaten them myself. Sorry to hear something bad happened to your birds.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I'm so sorry for your loss.

OP
N

nykkchick

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks. This is really the first time since the incident I have posted anywhere, here and one other place that people were bashing me. The food I got was sent directly from Harrisons. I haven't said much until recently as the atty I was working with said keep everything on the downlow and I haven't heard much from him. I am tired of being bashed and having people be mean to me so I wanted the truth out. I have the food in the freezer and If I could come up with the money I want to get it tested. There was nothing else that could have caused their deaths, they both were fed the treats where the other ones weren't and the other ones are still alive. It was the only thing that they ate that was the same that the other birds didn't. Thank God I because if I came home to and had everyone dead I don't know if I could have survived that. I will never heal from this. They were my life. The whole thing every little thing that happened kills me, from the vet stating I syringe fed my bird to them eating something I trusted and vomiting it up. The other birds didn't vomit up anything. I posted it here because reading the thread with people being nasty makes me upset. Nobody here is being nasty to me. The food is staying in the freezer as the atty informed me to do so. Maybe at some point I will get some money to get it tested and find out what happened. 2 beautiful loving sweet birds are gone after they ate those treats. I really wish animals had rights because than I would be able to do more and what that vet did, I could challenge it. I just felt the need to stick up for myself. It doesn't make me feel any better, but I am really tired of being hated and bullied. There is a thread with my full name on it over at a bird store forum where the past is being brought up where my name was cleared. Well I did what I needed to do. I shared my story. I really wonder where the food the directly sent me came from. Yours came from your vets or pet stores. The HPC I got from a petstore was fine. I wish I could understand, I know God has a reason for things, I just don't understand why. Well now you guys know I am not some crazy mean person. I have 2 birds and they need me. We visit their graves, even the dog and cat will go lay by them, they miss them as much as I do.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
There was nothing else that could have caused their deaths, they both were fed the treats where the other ones weren't and the other ones are still alive.
I can understand why you believe that, unfortunately, without having done the necropsy proving it is not possible. It is also possible that, if the food was contaminated, that the contamination happened in your home. (No, I am not blaming you or trying to blame you, it is a possibility, that's all, and there's no way of ever really knowing what happened.) Also, even though you believe it was the food, it is possible that those 2 birds only were affected by something else that didn't affect the others.

I will never heal from this.
I think you will. You've other birds and you'll have other pets in the future. It sucks, and it was awful, but look to the future and try to put it behind you. Your birds wouldn't want your suffering to continue like this.

from the vet stating I syringe fed my bird
the injustice of that must be really upsetting, but it happened and there's no way to go back in time and stop it from having happened.

I just felt the need to stick up for myself. It doesn't make me feel any better,
You have, and I'm sorry it doesn't, but maybe having had your say and expressed your anger over this will let you start to feel better and move on.

Bad things happen, and injustices happen. Try not to let that past sucky situation wreck the good things that might be ahead for you and your pets.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss of these two wonderful creatures that brought you so much happiness. You must draw the line and start to heal from it. What others say about you is all fiction. They weren't there, you were. I wasn't there so I wouldn't speculate what did or did not happen, but based solely on what you shared here, I can see whay you feel the way you do about what happened. It's a heartbreaking situation made worse by how you felt after speaking with vet's office. Please try to let it go, and at the very least, let the anger go. It's okay to miss your fids, sure, but the anger has to go and shouldn't be associated with the memories of your birdies.

As I said, I don't know what happened, but my mind is always open in any situation that "the possiblity exists" for any answer to potentially be the true one.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
That is a very distressing story and I'm sorry for what happened with you. I do think that if you are still depressed about it that maybe you could talk to a counselor or a therapist - there is no shame in that - a grief counselor could be a world of good for you - and personally, I've had to use those services myself and have found it very helpful. My thoughts are with you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm very sorry to what's happening to you and I can understand your wanting the truth and allowing the news to spread. I have read what was said in the other post which I missed and I'll be going in there to do some editing shortly. I know how companies/corporations will try to cover their backs due to incidents such as this but they never follow through! I should know first hand cause I made a major complaint with Kaytee with one of their toys, they told me they would remove them off the shelf, I still see them on the shelf in all the pet stores....I had pictures and everything to prove it and I emailed them the photos. They sent me a giant box of toys and treats for the inconvenience but I was expecting them to yank the toys off the shelf. Willie would of lost his leg and died from this incident IF my partner hadn't been home and caught it in time to call me to come home from work to help Willie. I rushed home from work, toweled Willie, used olive oil to lubricate his leg and it won't come off so I had to use bolt cutters and pliers to free Willie's leg. Birds will chew their foot off in order to free themselves. Kaytee did apologize and sent me a formal letter of apology, but never took on what they said they would do which is to remove the toy off the shelf. I personally deal with corporations and such in the business field and I know how sneaky they can be.

I drive pass Harrison's Brentwood office on a daily basis to go to work. They're here in TN, why don't I use their food? I don't trust them for one and amongst other things but that's just me. I do not wish to discuss it either so please do not private me to ask questions of why.

Even though I am sorry to what you've been through, I do have to tell you that this is not the place to hash on. Tell people your story and then let it be, but do not carry on.

And PLEASE everyone, show some courtesy of being kind in here. Rather you believe the story or not, that's your own personal opinion and issue. She just needed to vent and hopefully move on with grieving process.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm closing this thread because no amount of rehashing or supposition will discover any truth. Whether Harrison's food is guilty or not is not the province of this forum and so I'm sure you all understand why it's fruitless to continue talking about a terribly tragic accident. May the birds in question rest in peace and may their owner heal from her sad, sad loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions