Theoretical question. Which of the 2 baby would you choose

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
You go to see a baby hand fed bird and there are 2 to choose from.(senegal parrot).

baby 1: She keeps going to you and never wants to come down. But she is very "mouthy" as in she nibbles on your finger or anything else a lot. it doesn't hurt or anything but in occasion she will pinch harder and it hurts a bit. but normally it doesn't. She also lays on my hand but her legs shake when she does. He is less shy and more playful.

question: does this mean he is more inclined to bite when she matures or that she might be a bit more needy and might scream more?

baby2: she is very calm. and very tame. she doesn't nibble on hands or anything as much and is very calm. She lays on my hand with no shaking at all and fluffs up and closes her eyes when i give her scratches on her back or while he is perching. But she isnt as eager to follow me to come on me. (she doesnt move away either when i approach). Also she isn't as eager to stay on me .

question: does that mean she will be less bitey when she matures and more calm and more independent?(only speaking generally since anything can happen when she matures).

so which one would you pick? This is all theoretical.

baby 1 is on the left, baby 2 right.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvnbg6gOAU"]20130302_155651 - YouTube[/ame]

another video. i was giving bird 2 scratches and then bird 1 shows up. Notice bird 2 closing her eyes while receiving scratches. that must mean she likes it right?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59l7cegCdM&feature=youtu.be"]20130302_154214 (1) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Being mouthy in a parrot should not equate out to will be bitey, but it most often does. Young parrots explore a lot with their beaks. This behavior should be encouraged on appropriate items and not your skin. You could potentially do more harm discouraging the behavior completely rather than encouraging it in appropriate areas. Baby one does sounds like the bird that would be far more interactive and inquisitive about his or her surroundings.

Baby two sounds like a more independent bird. This wouldn't be a bad thing, persay, as long as he/she still enjoyed interaction and knew how to play with toys.

I don't know about the shaking thing, and I've never chosen a young parrot from a breeder before (13 years of parrots, majority of the birds have been adults! including both my conures), but I'd go with which ever one I felt most connected to. It does make me think of guide dogs or dogs for the disabled, and how pups are supposedly chosen for how interactive they are. A pup that was more despondent would not do as well in training than one that was hyper, interactive, playful, barks a lot, etc. I don't know if it's anything the same in parrots, though, considering they are vastly different species.

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
from the videos you can see that bird 1 is a bit more interactive. Bird 2 was sleeping when i met him so maybe thats why he was a bit less hyper. But as u can see, it seems liked she liked the scratches and cuddles. i dont mind a more independent bird since she wont be as needy and might not scream as much for attention. but i do want her to be interactive and like interactions. (posted video in original post).

note: the owner said this was their first day after weaning.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Then I would recommend interacting with both of them more. Maybe even find some millet or something that you could feed them by hand?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Wow , wrote a long response and lost it. Which bird? that depends on you. can you handle the out going personality of the first bird. That bird would do well with a alike personality, some one confident and consistent . That bird would exploit someone timid and worried about "bites". If the other bird was "fearful" then it might not bite , but it wouldn't enjoy other people,going places and meeting new people, CHANGES!!! #2 bird, Great if you live alone and don't go anywhere,need a quiet bird ,a more "safe" environment. Of course any of these personalities could be over come with a knowledgeable parront. They say " let the bird pick you", if you feel intimidated/apprehensiveness then maybe go for the "safer"choice. (not sure that's a good choice of words). Baby birds have a personality that stands out at an early age, be aware of yours, a good match is "golden".

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Baby 2 seems to be younger (even by a few days), baby one is definitively protective of it, that's the behavior I am seeing. I would say that baby 1 seems to be independent, seeking interaction, knowing what he wants and going to get it. Baby 2 seems more laid back, a follower, maybe easier to train.
They are both very well tamed. It depends on your feeling interacting with both. Just seeing the video, I would pick baby 2. I see him being easier going, growing up.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Ant needs to put that last sentence in her "parrot book".

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
Baby 2 seems to be younger (even by a few days), baby one is definitively protective of it, that's the behavior I am seeing. I would say that baby 1 seems to be independent, seeking interaction, knowing what he wants and going to get it. Baby 2 seems more laid back, a follower, maybe easier to train.
They are both very well tamed. It depends on your feeling interacting with both. Just seeing the video, I would pick baby 2. I see him being easier going, growing up.

as of now i picked baby 2. i figure he might be mellower and easier to handle. And he might not be as aggressive. i also fear that bird 1 might be the kind who becomes a screamer as soon as u leave the room. i rather have a more independent bird who likes interactions as well. But again still not sure. As of now i chose baby 2 but still can change my mind. Baby 1 can also lay on his back comfortably but he is more mouthy. also another thing that scares me is that his legs were shaking even though he was on his back.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I have a red belly and I am fostering a sennie. These guys are very different, but they are also very similar. Mango is a VERY beaky bird. He has been less apt to bite the longer we have had him and ignored this behavior. Mango chews through about a half dozen toys per week MINIMUM. He has eaten branches on his play stand and will even go for the furniture. His beak never stops, its his way of exploring his world. It took some time but we have taught him not to explore us in this manner. Jakie-bird the sennie is also a chewer and very beaky. He also checks everything with his beak and is very good at destroying chunks of wood. I would advise you that these guys are beaky as a general rule. This has been confirmed by the lady who runs the local rescue and has had dozens of them come through. They can be nippy, but I would say it is entirely up to you how they turn out. Jakie bird had a terrible first 5 years, completely isolated, never handled, alone in the dark and even abused. I step him up, carry him around, place him on things around the house, feed him things by hand etc and he has NEVER bitten me. He doesnt even threat, and I know I make him deal with things that scare him. If I cross the line and scare him enough he will probably bite me. Im prepared for this and I will do my best not to react. If I manage to keep my cool, he probably wont associate it with a way to avoid unwanted situations. Instead he blots and tries to fly away, and this is an easy behavior to manage (and something he rarely does now). Mango on the other hand belonged to a little girl who should never have had a bird and was taught to bite before he came to us. He was scared of hands and would bite very hard if he got nervous at all. It has taken a long time to unteach this behavior (and we have the scars to prove it). Either of those babies will learn to bite you if the situation promotes this behavior. Birds will also be more independent and less inclined to scream if they have lots of things to stimulate them when you cant be with them. I personally think either of those babies could the perfect bird for you if brought up properly in a loving home. I would take the more outgoing one personally, but I also love Mango's naughty attitude. Along with the dirty looks and occasional chomp, Mango is full of cuddles, games of peekaboo, and beak grinding on my shoulder.

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
hmm. i suppose both birds can be all of those things you mentioned. its about how i raise them. But do you think that a more beaky bird early on can have a greater chance of being more of a biter later on compared to the more calmer bird early on?

What i am saying is that since the calmer bird is already laid back, will it be easier to keep him calm and less aggressive compared to a bird who is a bit more beaky? I am a new parrot owner (have owned smaller birds before ) so i rather have the bird thats a bit easier and laid back who also likes cuddles and interaction.

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59l7cegCdM&feature=youtu.be]20130302_154214 (1) - YouTube[/ame]

another video. i was giving bird 2 scratches and then bird 1 shows up. Notice bird 2 closing her eyes while receiving scratches. that must mean she likes it right?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF they were siblings and the number 2 is the younger one and they're just weaned. That can be part of the reason why the baby #2 isn't as interactive. Wait a week and go back, you might see some differences. For example, my recent batch, the youngest one was just laid back and just sit there. Now he gets into all kinds of mischief....lol....

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
IF they were siblings and the number 2 is the younger one and they're just weaned. That can be part of the reason why the baby #2 isn't as interactive. Wait a week and go back, you might see some differences. For example, my recent batch, the youngest one was just laid back and just sit there. Now he gets into all kinds of mischief....lol....

yup . planning to go back next week. But i do prefer a more laid back bird. i think they will all be interactive in time but the bird that's more laid back might be less aggressive. any merit to this thinking in general?

Last edited:

Most Reactions